Alternatives to clan cooks

Started by Xygax, September 11, 2008, 03:14:07 PM

Which of these alternatives do you prefer, and why?  "If other", please be specific.

Remove them entirely.
Cooks should only remove hunger.
Cooks should deliver crappier food.
Leave them the same.
Other.
Look, I'm not jumping on your case or anything. I remember Tarq and he seemed to be a very well played PC. But it's a quantitative thing. You killed enough stuff in less than an IG month to "feed an entire clan for a year" I don' care how you slice it that's overdoing it. It's not realistic and just because the code lets us do something...
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Alright, let me put it this way. It is really not about the number of things killed, but more about the amount of items from each kill. I mean, an experianced ranger causes screen spam from skinning almost anything.

I mean, even a vestric is good for two food, and larger animals are good for 4-8..then you get to add in sellables from the animal which let you buy 3 times the food you got from the animal itself. If I am playing a ranger, and his job is to feed the clan, once advanced, said ranger could make a single kill per RL day and keep the clan fed for a RL week. And the animal of choice is common and medium sized, good amount of meat and a value of around 200 coins. then add in that rangers can forage for food...hell, if a ranger wanted he could keep a clan fed without every hunting a thing.

Though, I think if clan cooks were gotten rid of, and I think most should be. I think that Staff should go through and increase the meat yield on most animals. Like, take erdlu. You kill, you get a full skin and it only yields breast meat...Huh...by desc you should get a pair of hefty thighs too.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I'd like to point out a few things here:

Some clans' emphasis is on other things besides hunting. If they have to send out hunters for food every so often they have less time for whatever it is they usually do. Also, newer members of the clan don't really contribute as much as they eat.

Limiting the amount of food per cook puts limits on players, too. Half giants go hungry. They have to eat quite a lot, sometimes. People who play the game for longer stretches of time have to eat more than once during that time. Are they out of luck? Does this mean they'll need to log off sooner? That limits what gets done in that clan, especially if the person is in a leadership position.

I say leave the cooks be. Let people rp other things besides the constant struggle to get enough to eat. If I wanted to rp that I'd stay independent, and do just that. Clans feed their people, that's just how it's been done and what I count on them doing so that we can get on to doing other things besides running out for more scrab/whatever.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

why not just make it an optional thing, clan cook npcs can be bought for X sid per Y days. Like an apartment. If not paid up, it disappears.

make it expensive so that having a player do it is preferable but not always necessary.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on December 13, 2008, 04:38:57 PM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on December 13, 2008, 03:19:23 PM
The way they are now, I believe for lower-ranks like hunters who bring in masses of meat from hunts and such - The meat never finds any good use. It literally sits there for IC months before someone either pulls them out to spam-cook or junks them.

For the poll, I choose "Other" because I think it's possible to have a mixture of everything.

Leave the cooks - But put a daily limit to what they serve or make it to where they serve servant-ranked clan members at certain times, throughout the day.

Hungry but just got in at the middle of the night? Tough luck - That's why you need to chow in the morning when the cooks are making food en-masse for everyone.

Dawn, High Sun, and Dusk would be the ideal times, I'd think. Dawn - Everyone's up and about to ride out. High Sun would be typically slow if the hunters are out, but it would satisfy low-ranked crafters and any other folks who didn't ride out with the rest.

By the time Dusk rolls around, people should be calling it a day and heading back in.

If your starved but their not serving - That's why we have clan food-bins filled with, what would you know, FOOD!

The accumulations of food in the clan stores represents several RL years of play. If the clan members became dependent on the stores and hunting to feed themselves, I predict the accumulations would be eaten up in no time and clan members would start starving as soon as their coin ran out.

Think about it. Say there are six active members. So they go out on a scrab hunt. They'd have to bag six scrabs, skinning them perfectly, and cooking the meat perfectly, to have two pieces of meat and a scrab head each. After eating that, they're all hungry again in two hours RL and back out they go, two hours later. Oh, but wait. Now there's a heavy sandstorm going and no scrabs left in the wastes. What to do?

The game just can't sustain that level of hunting, and eighteen pieces of meat every two hours would wipe out the storeroom fast. Even worse if there are a bunch of stay-at-homers depending on the hunters.

I think some animals give ridiculously too little food. An entire bahamet gives a single slab of meat.

If animals gave more food, it would then seem that providing meat for a clan would be more logical and well received. Personally, this is the solution I prefer.

Quote from: Clearsighted on December 14, 2008, 09:41:01 PM
If animals gave more food, it would then seem that providing meat for a clan would be more logical and well received. Personally, this is the solution I prefer.

That seems to be in direct disagreement to what X-D was saying, about being able to easily rack up enough food from four or so animals to feed 8 or so PC's.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'm chiming in here to add my support for an increase in food, especially from the larger animals. I didn't know bahamet only gives one slab of meat. They should give like... fifty. Mekillot too, of course.
"The perfect police state has no police." - William S. Burroughs

Some animals have older or less well thought out skin scripts then others musashi. I could name some rather old LARGE animals that have no skin script at all. But I think almost all animals IG should have some meat added and maybe some other things as well. I know Sanvean was working on such some time back, but stopped. So certain animals like Duskhorn and Gortoks have well thought out skin scripts and multiple layers.

Other new animals have poor skin scripts or they are way too hard, I mean why is it you never get more then a hunk of meat and a single fang from a kank sized spider? What happened to the rest of it, the hair, claws, legs, other fang? And why exactly is it so hard to even get that fang? It is what the spider bites with, not like it is eggshell fragile or hard to find, it is on the front of its head after all. Giant beetles larger then a man...skin beetle, a shell and a hunk of meat? Was the rest of the animal made from air? And why is it the only animal you get breast meat from walks and you get leg meat from flyers and no breast meat? Exactly the opposite what it should be. Ever skin an inix, This is something bigger then a half-giant, but you get what, two 1 stone hunks of meat from it. I could go on and on and on and on and on.

I would hope, if clan cooks were removed, that before that happened a few (not one) Staffers would take on the job of fixing and fleshing out the skin scripts of the animals IG. Even though it would be a large task.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

You should offer to do it on the builder port X-D  ;)

You seem to have some good ideas for what the scripts should be like.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

After review, there are no plans to alter clan cooks and how they function in the current game.

This will be something to figure out for Armageddon Reborn, instead.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on December 15, 2008, 08:54:33 AM
After review, there are no plans to alter clan cooks and how they function in the current game.

Dammmmmnnnn... Nyr just told you all to F off!

JaRoD

Quote from: Cerelum on December 15, 2008, 09:04:51 AM
Quote from: Nyr on December 15, 2008, 08:54:33 AM

Dammmmmnnnn... Nyr just told you all to F off!

JaRoD

Not so much.  Since I raised the issue initially on the IDB, I figured I should post the results from the poll and discussion with staff resulted in leaving this the same for Arm 1.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.