Save room weight limits

Started by Salt Merchant, September 06, 2008, 01:14:47 PM

I suggest that these be eliminated (i.e. no more "There's no more room for that here" messages). Face it, people use all sorts of tricks to get around the limits anyhow, so they just represent an inconvenience in trying to organize a room.

Plus, the limits seem a bit small to begin with.
Lunch makes me happy.

Some people's rooms are already crazy full of stuff as it is.  However, there are some rooms I just don't understand.

Which is to say, I don't know that I support completely unlimiting them, but I think some limits should be more realistic.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

The limits were put in years ago because, after years and years, some save rooms had MASSIVE amounts of stuff in them.  There was so much stuff over so many save rooms that it was lagging the game.

I fully support weight limits over lag.

September 06, 2008, 02:24:43 PM #3 Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:37:18 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Haze on September 06, 2008, 01:51:29 PM
The limits were put in years ago because, after years and years, some save rooms had MASSIVE amounts of stuff in them.  There was so much stuff over so many save rooms that it was lagging the game.

I fully support weight limits over lag.

Please read my original post? My point is that these limits are not working. People use containers, and objects that can have other objects set upon them, and even spells(!) to get around the limits. The limits accomplish nothing but to create disorder.

If a clan's save room gets too cluttered, as a staff member I'd deal with it by animating some senior NPC and telling the junior PCs to straighten it out and give them a deadline to do so. Failure to comply would result in everything being tossed. This would have the additional benefit of giving clan members something to do! Also, I see no reason why everything has to be saved at once. A staggered save (spreading the load out over time) would deal with any server lag issues. And it should be possible to build a reporting mechanism into the code so that the worst offenders are apparent in some list on demand.

Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on September 06, 2008, 02:24:43 PM
People use containers, and objects that can have other objects set upon them, and even spells(!) to get around the limits.

Are people able to create unlimited space using these tricks?  From what I've seen, they can create SOME space, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be before the limits went in.

Quote from: Haze on September 06, 2008, 02:36:49 PM
Are people able to create unlimited space using these tricks?  From what I've seen, they can create SOME space, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be before the limits went in.

Pretty much. Large bags by themselves weigh almost nothing, for example. Carpet the floor with them and then fill them to your heart's content. Put a mat in and carpet that with them too!
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Haze on September 06, 2008, 02:36:49 PM
Quote from: Salt Merchant on September 06, 2008, 02:24:43 PM
People use containers, and objects that can have other objects set upon them, and even spells(!) to get around the limits.

From my experience... yeah.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

If that's the case, don't you think it should just be reported to staff as abuse, or simply resolved by clan leaders through mass sell-offs or the junk command?  There's clearly an intent to circumvent the coded limitations by doing this, and it really just doesn't make much sense in-game.

It's a nice feature to let containers in a room expand the available space because we can utilize that in a way that makes sense, but if people are abusing it with a carpet of large bags, then we probably just need to show a little restraint and police ourselves.

Is it possible that this could be creating the lag problems people have been having lately?

Nah, this has nothing to do with the sort of lag we are having now. The lag related to oversaving was of a different sort. It wouldn't disconnect you - it just lagged everything you did.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'm pretty sure that 'oversaving' would not cause lag problems anymore since ginka is no longer a Commodore 64.

Quote from: Haze on September 06, 2008, 03:27:27 PMand it really just doesn't make much sense in-game.

What doesn't make sense is that my character is physically incapable of depositing something so small as a feather in a room without codely dragging it in.

::)

Quote from: Yam on September 06, 2008, 04:19:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that 'oversaving' would not cause lag problems anymore since ginka is no longer a Commodore 64.

+1
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Mood on September 06, 2008, 04:24:02 PM
What doesn't make sense is that my character is physically incapable of depositing something so small as a feather in a room without codely dragging it in.
>drop feather
This room is over crowded - are you sure you want to do that?

>drop feather
You drop a golden feather, which disappears under all of the mess in this room.

....after emptying the room....

>forage
You find a golden feather.

Heh. That would be kinda cool, actually.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

>get bag
You get a plain bag of cloth.
It is very heavy.

>get feather
You get a dusky black feather.
It is very light.

>drop feather (sighing)
Sighing, you drop a dusky black feather, which settles to the ground.

>drop bag (shaking ^me head)
Shaking your head, you drop a plain bag of cloth, which settles to the ground.

>tell amos (wiping some sweat from ^me brow) A few more chunks of 'sid should do it, I guess.
Wiping some sweat from your brow, you say to the tall, muscular man, in southern-accented humanish:
   "A few more chunks of 'sid should do it, I guess."

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 06, 2008, 04:30:52 PM
Quote from: Mood on September 06, 2008, 04:24:02 PM
>drop feather
This room is over crowded - are you sure you want to do that?

>drop feather
You drop a golden feather, which disappears under all of the mess in this room.

....after emptying the room....

>forage
You find a golden feather.

Heh. That would be kinda cool, actually.
Yes please.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

You all do realize, of course, that the weight limits include the weight of the room do take the weight of what's in the objects into account?  These tricks you mention are nonexistent.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on September 13, 2008, 03:13:40 PM
You all do realize, of course, that the weight limits include the weight of the room do take the weight of what's in the objects into account?  These tricks you mention are nonexistent.

That's why you drop the containers in all empty, and THEN fill them up.

nOObs, these days, bah.

j/k dude!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

You know what all this tells me?

The game needs more burglars.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 13, 2008, 03:23:50 PM
You know what all this tells me?

The game needs more burglars.

Or, y'know... less arbitrary, antiquated caps on things of this nature.