An RP Complaint

Started by Barzalene, August 30, 2008, 10:47:42 PM

I could make a player complaint, for one thing, this is not a black and white someone has done something wrong issue, and for another, I think it's something worth discussion.
I think leading by example is the best way to lead.
But I think when you beat people over the head with what you feel is right, in a way that implies that everyone else has no idea what they're doing because they don't immediately support what you envision as the correct way to play, you're not really leading.

I tend to overrreact and feel silly later, but one way to get me to overreact is to make me feel like you're trying to rp down to me, or at me. If I feel that way, others probably do too.

Is this a valid complaint?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on August 30, 2008, 10:47:42 PM
one way to get me to overreact is to make me feel like you're trying to rp down to me, or at me. If I feel that way, others probably do too.

I'm not sure what you mean. What are people doing that communicates this via RP?
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

What do you mean by, "rp down to me, or at me." ?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

August 30, 2008, 11:08:06 PM #5 Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 11:10:06 PM by BlazinDayz
But I think when you beat people over the head with what you feel is right, in a way that implies that everyone else has no idea what they're doing because they don't immediately support what you envision as the correct way to play, you're not really leading.

Depends on your situation, I'd rather not get into IC specifics.

Everyone has a different vision of 'the correct way to play'. People play differently, but there are restrictions of course. If this leader is imposing code abuse or something sketchy ooc, I can understand your complaint. If they're constantly telling you -what- to do IC, it's probably because they're your boss. If they're always telling you -how- to do it, that could get a little unnerving.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 30, 2008, 10:53:41 PM
one way to get me to overreact is to make me feel like you're trying to rp down to me, or at me. If I feel that way, others probably do too.
I'm not sure what you mean. What are people doing that communicates this via RP?
I agree. A hypothetical example would do well in this case, Barz, because I can't oppose you or support you until you let me know what's going on.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

When I say lead by example, I'm not talking about leader pcs. I'm talking about being the change you want to see.

So, let's say we're in Nak, and we're at a bar and a gemmer comes in.

You snort. You glare. You move over a seat.

(So far we're all good.)
Then you turn to me and say, I'm moving over because that's a gemmer there, and gemmers are bad. So, don't reach into your pocket and buy him a drink and try to be his friend because he's a magicker and they're bad.

And I with my pc who has an appropriate level of disdain for said gemmer have had my moment to react organically taken away by your supposition that I don't know how to react to magickers.

Obviously that is a clumsy example.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Malken on August 30, 2008, 10:54:10 PM
What do you mean by, "rp down to me, or at me." ?

One way might be taking great pains to point out perceived flaws in another player's perception of an ambiguous situation.  For instance:

The tall, muscular man says, pointing at you with a nasty grin, in sirihish,
  "What 'bout that skinny?"
> l muscular (The grimy, pale-skinned elf looks at ~muscular) [and the lanky, tattooed elf looks at ~muscular, and the sapphire-eyed elf looks at ~muscular, and a troupe of emaciated half-elf adolescents looks at ~muscular]
> tell muscular (in unison with the lanky, tattooed elf) Who, me?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I get far more annoyed when people nitpick at things with OOC, (for example...using emote when you think someone should've used semote instead cause of an unconcious person in the room). Or making tiny mistakes like using ^ instead of ! in the heat of the moment.

These are valid...Yet by going OOC to point it out, it breaks up the flow of the scene, especially if there are already four+ people in it. I'd prefer going OOC was reserved for either if someone was genuinely confused or it was a much more egregious error.

I wouldn't worry about it, Barz. Either the player feels the need to make certian that Gemmed are treated shitty, or they want to make sure that their new buddy isn't a Mage lover, or ... there are a lot of reasons that may not have anything to do with 'RPing down to you'.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I also find it presumptuous to be instructed by someone who isn't an authority figure, how to react to something, that my character might be reacting to, in her own way, for her own very specific reasons.

If you are not "the boss of me" or if I am not somehow behaving like a complete noob who really -would- need a hand in understanding the game world, please don't assume that my character is acting any way OTHER than how my character -would- react under the circumstances. However that happens to be.

In summary, I agree with Barzalene.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Barzalene on August 30, 2008, 11:43:21 PM
When I say lead by example, I'm not talking about leader pcs. I'm talking about being the change you want to see.

So, let's say we're in Nak, and we're at a bar and a gemmer comes in.

You snort. You glare. You move over a seat.

(So far we're all good.)
Then you turn to me and say, I'm moving over because that's a gemmer there, and gemmers are bad. So, don't reach into your pocket and buy him a drink and try to be his friend because he's a magicker and they're bad.

And I with my pc who has an appropriate level of disdain for said gemmer have had my moment to react organically taken away by your supposition that I don't know how to react to magickers.

Obviously that is a clumsy example.

You could've easily turned that around to make the other person look like a dumbass, or you could've easily rolled with it. Maybe throw out a--

"tell presumptiousbastard (glaring at !presumptuiousbastard) Krath, I look like a damned mage-fucker ta you? I look like someone who'd buy a feckin' gemmer a drink?!)"

Then proceed to get pissed and initiate a brawl.

Because there are really not enough brawls at the Gaj.  :(

If I were buddy-buddy with gemmers, I'd probably tell him, "I'll buy 'dis fella a drink if I damn well please." then proceed to buy him a drink. Now, if that magick hater decided to make this huge deal about it, that's when that "complaint" line has been crossed. I don't care how much you hate magick, if you're going to get into a big huff about people being friendly with gemmers, that's poor rp on your part. Just as making a big deal about hating magick is poor rp.

I dunno, I could be wrong. I rarely file complaints anyway.

There'd be more brawls in the Gaj if it meant anything.

Taking someone down to relatively fit isn't very satisfying. The whole system is just hard to RP around without feeling awkward.

Absolutely, I have no desire to file a complaint. Just when people start these discussions someone always says, stop whining and file a complaint if you're mad. I was trying to move past that conversation.
This is not player complaint worthy.

Maybe they thought you looked like a n00b and needed help?  Maybe they are new themselves and just excited over the depth of play they've discovered in the documentation.

I wouldn't take something like this too negatively.  Maybe you feel like you're getting cornholed without an appropriate field to play in after certain blatantly obvious statements are made, but don't take it hard.

It's probably a lot better than "Why u n0 buy magicker drinkz?  Iz Fistandanminster, he saves kittens!"

At least they are trying.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

Good point.

It annoys me too. You feel put on the spot and as if your RP after that is forced somehow.

Lead by example, not by quasi-OOC lecturing.