Dwarf Culture

Started by jcljules, August 13, 2008, 08:10:57 AM

Perhaps I've not been looking in the right places, but I've been able to find absolutely nothing on dwarf culture. I've read all of the racial rp docus about dwarves, run across them IG, I know all about foci...

But how do they live? Nomadic tribes? Villages, towns? Are they completely part of the culture in which they live, like HGs?

Anyone know? It would be very useful when creating a dwarven character.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

This stuff is not documented.

There was a coded (I think) dwarf tribe for a while.  No idea if they're still around.  You'd probably have to email the staff about them or any other unpublished dwarf cultural docs.

Most city dwarves would be descended from slaves (if not still slaves themselves) and thus their cultural roots may not be very deep.  Probably closer to HG's like you said.

You're probably free to make up some dwarven culture if you like, though.

While slave-descended city dwarves are pretty mainstream, they also appear to be quite insular. 

They are mainstream in that it is not unusual to see dwarves in almost all walks of life (except hereditary positions, where everyone is human).  Dwarves are commonly soldiers, merchants, beggars, criminals laborers, shopkeepers, and so on.  They are hired by nearly every clan, and despite their low numbers they routinely advance as high as middle-management type positions. 

However, they are also insular, paricularily in the way they raise their children.  There are very few dwarven child NPCs.  Newbie dwarves understand a smattering of Sirihish, enough to get around the city, but are far from fluent in the main language of the cities, the de facto "common tongue".  That strongly implies that when they are growing up they have little exposure to non-dwarves.  They are also all fluent in Mirrikum, a language only useful for chatting with other dwarves and the occasional linguist.  It would take a lot of effort over a long time to preserve their language when nearly all business in the city is conducted in Sirihish.   

I tell ya, those stubby little bastards are up to something.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Malarn Tribals
Built of the rugged stones of the Tablelands, this society of hardy dwarven people lay out of sight of the eyes of humans for hundreds of years. Recently stepping into a much more extroverted outlook, the Malarn Tribals have been forced to reach out for help after being driven from their ancestral home within the canyons. The Malarn people denote rank and accomplishment with a series of intricately inked blue tattoos that starts at the top of the forehead and stretches down the body with age, like a story told in ink and scar.

Contact Email: malarn_tribals@armageddon.org

If it were to be reopened my first PC after the announcement would be a Malarn.  I love RPing dwarves.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Huh. So, descendents of slaves pretty much immersed in human culture... and nomads, with which we're free to make up a bit. Well I'd like to see more docus about them, but I guess it does allow you a bit more freedom with dwarves.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: Angela Christine on August 13, 2008, 02:38:55 PM
Newbie dwarves understand a smattering of Sirihish, enough to get around the city, but are far from fluent in the main language of the cities, the de facto "common tongue".

Actually, newbie dwarves are now completely fluent in sirihish.  Same thing with city elves.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 13, 2008, 04:02:38 PM
Quote from: Angela Christine on August 13, 2008, 02:38:55 PM
Newbie dwarves understand a smattering of Sirihish, enough to get around the city, but are far from fluent in the main language of the cities, the de facto "common tongue".

Actually, newbie dwarves are now completely fluent in sirihish.  Same thing with city elves.

Hurray!

Last time I had a dwarf I chose the linguist subguild just so I wouldn't look like a retard. 
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Some still recall the Clearwater Oasis clan. And of course the Ironsword clan.
Lunch makes me happy.

You know... "Create a unified dwarven tribe" would make a pretty good focus, eh?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit on August 14, 2008, 07:48:19 PM
You know... "Create a unified dwarven tribe" would make a pretty good focus AWESOME, eh?
A horde of Inix turn and stampede straight at you....KRATH!

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 13, 2008, 02:44:50 PM
Malarn Tribals
Built of the rugged stones of the Tablelands, this society of hardy dwarven people lay out of sight of the eyes of humans for hundreds of years. Recently stepping into a much more extroverted outlook, the Malarn Tribals have been forced to reach out for help after being driven from their ancestral home within the canyons. The Malarn people denote rank and accomplishment with a series of intricately inked blue tattoos that starts at the top of the forehead and stretches down the body with age, like a story told in ink and scar.

Contact Email: malarn_tribals@armageddon.org

If it were to be reopened my first PC after the announcement would be a Malarn.  I love RPing dwarves.

It won't be reopened. Find out IC.