Why Nak is (should be) In a Fix

Started by Bebop, August 10, 2008, 11:55:48 PM

I'm kind of with AC. The economics of Zalanthas never have made sense, so this latest change and lack of more than cosmetic repercussions bothers me little, excepting lost opportunities for roleplay.

That said, reading this thread has given me an -awesome- idea for a white-robe.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I've always imagined that the scrabs, giant beetles, and tarantulas ate various little virtual npc critters like desert rats or other medium sized insects and stuff.  I'm sure the desert is crawling with fist-sized or head-sized (or bigger) insects and other creatures that the bigger beasts can live off of other than just humanoids.  Many may not be seen because they burrow under the sand, but yeah, it would be nice to see these things once in a while.  Especially if something like wild escru or some other deer-sized creature doesn't exist (or won't be codedly introduced) in those parts.

Quote from: Tisiphone on August 12, 2008, 12:04:20 PM

An environmentalist Lirathan?
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

A population-thinning nihilist Maltheist?

I wouldn't be against changes in the gameworld to show these and to make it more obvious to PCs in the city. More crime? Higher prices? I don't think it is too IC to say that there are many more soldiers patrolling the streets which does make sense. Some echos or added room descriptions showing the starving vNPCs would be awesome. And many say how easy obsidian can be made by some players..maybe an idea could be to lower the amount paid by some of those endeavors(such as lower the price that the Office of Mining pays for obsidian).

Quote from: Ourla on August 12, 2008, 03:12:07 PM
Quote from: Tisiphone on August 12, 2008, 12:04:20 PM

An environmentalist Lirathan?
[/quote

A -southern- white-robe. And yes, I know those aren't open for play. More's the pity.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Step 1: punch a hole to the elemental plain of water under a city and enslave everyone you can catch with a create food spell
Step 2: burn the countryside
Step 3: profit

Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

Quote from: Sokotra on August 12, 2008, 12:22:40 PM
I've always imagined that the scrabs, giant beetles, and tarantulas ate various little virtual npc critters like desert rats or other medium sized insects and stuff.  I'm sure the desert is crawling with fist-sized or head-sized (or bigger) insects and other creatures that the bigger beasts can live off of other than just humanoids.  Many may not be seen because they burrow under the sand, but yeah, it would be nice to see these things once in a while.  Especially if something like wild escru or some other deer-sized creature doesn't exist (or won't be codedly introduced) in those parts.

Jeez... I though everyone knew that a scrab's diet consists of three thing: Newbie rangers, 'sid miners, and wannabe rouges.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The economic situation of the game has made some sense in the past.   There have been events that players have started, that have caused issues to come up in the game, regarding economics and food supplies and etc.

The COPPER WAR was supposed to be an event that relied on economics and troop control, and all that other jazz.  It was supposed to work over time, and be won over by supply routes and the like.

When players have characters that have been in the game for a long time, they come to expect a more dynamic game that they play.  Kadians start to get upset when non-kadian shops start selling silk clothes and other designer outfits.  Salarr gets angry at Kurac when Kurac sells weapons.  Tuluk gets angry at elves when they don't get a thieving tattoo.  Etc, etc.

We've had some MAJOR RPTs in Allanak that destroyed MANY troops, MANY soldiers, MANY lands.  Red Storm East has been destroyed, and that's where Allanak gets most of its food from.  And it feels like the rest of the city hasn't felt it.

I wish that there were dead bodies everywhere, in body pits.  Of starving citizens.  I wish that there was more taxes on the food goods in Allanak.  I wish that the merchant houses in Allanak started to fell the drain of the economy that got FLUSHED when the RPTs happened.  I wish that the game was so DYNAMIC that any event that I do will have a ripple affect across the whole known world.

My question is - what do you think, as a playerbase, should be happening in various cities across the known world, because of recent events in the game?  Tuluk, Luir's Outpost, Allanak, etc.  What happened recently, and how does it affect others?   If we give a good enough example, maybe it will get implemented, and the game will become more flexible.  Isn't that why we play?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

It should be pointed out that Allanak's population has dwindled substantially along with the food supply.

Between the deaths from the gith invasion and the exodus of refugees to Tuluk afterwards, it's no surprise that the city needs less food than before. Whether it balances the food supply loss, who knows, but it must make it less severe.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on August 20, 2008, 02:01:54 AM
It should be pointed out that Allanak's population has dwindled substantially along with the food supply.

Between the deaths from the gith invasion and the exodus of refugees to Tuluk afterwards, it's no surprise that the city needs less food than before. Whether it balances the food supply loss, who knows, but it must make it less severe.

Tektolnes says, in sirihish:
    "What is the estimated loss of flour, templar."

The templar says, in sirihish:
    "Enough to feed 15,000 people, Highlord."

Tektolnes says, in sirihish:
    "And the gith war fatality count?"

The templar says, in sirihish:
    "15,000 people."

:P
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

That's true.  There's refugees in Tuluk.

Does the loss of life make Allanak a less powerful citystate now, against Luir's Outpost and Tuluk?

Should there be less Soldiers on the streets, and more crime?  Or have they recruited enough soldiers to keep up their lines?

Does Tuluk feel any pressure from the refugees?

In my opinion, Tuluk shouldn't feel any pressure from the extra people in regards to food.  Perhaps there's something going on with the politics and power structures, but certainly not the food sources.

In my opinion, Allanak should have less soldiers on the streets, and the price of food should go up a tiny bit.  There should be more taxes on the merchant houses to bring in more gear, in order to pay for the refitting of the soldiers they loss, and to pay for more food sources to come into the city.

In my opinion, Red Storm should be full of refugees too, if they aren't already, and the price of food there should go up as well.

In my opinion, Luir's Outpost doesn't matter.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on August 20, 2008, 02:12:44 AM
In my opinion, Red Storm should be full of refugees too, if they aren't already, and the price of food there should go up as well.

When a recent character of mine was having difficulty renting an apartment in Red Storm (due probably to the changes in apartment code), I attempted to ICly explain the situation by bitching about how stupid refugees from Storm East were taking up all the good housing spots.

The guy I was talking to didn't seem to understand why there might be refugees. :[
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: mansa on August 20, 2008, 01:52:56 AM
We've had some MAJOR RPTs in Allanak that destroyed MANY troops, MANY soldiers, MANY lands.

You're vastly overestimating the number of troops killed in the gith invasion. Those of us who were involved know that the number of troops killed was in the low thousands. I.e., not very many, versus something like 10k gith. The low death count was due to the actions of the PCs involved.

And aren't you a huge advocate for having the actions of PCs matter?
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Mansa is a huge advocate for having the actions of PCs matter.

Honestly, I wasn't involved in the last RPTs.  My butt hurt when my character was killed and I stopped playing for a year.

But, people in this thread have posted an idea that the world around them is not being represented correctly from the events that occurred in it.  I'm trying to ask the fellow players what they think should be happening to the world around us due to events that have happened.  Didn't at least a legion of soldiers die in the fight?

The GDB is not the place to discuss recent IC info, even if the events you are discussing are well known.

The staff is working to ensure the world is represented as it should be. Play according to what the world shows. Much of what I have seen accepted as fact in this thread is indeed not correct.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.