Kruth Game: Dune Trader

Started by Anony1, August 07, 2008, 07:34:01 AM

Hello everyone... I've come up with a new Kruth game. Posting it anonymously so I can play it with my character and not be discovered. Enjoy, and feel free to comment...

Here's a new Kruth game I've invented. Let me know what you think, what needs to be clarified, and please please please try it in game if your character is a kruth player or has a deck. I'd really like to see some more IG card playing  :). Despite how complex it looks, its actually extremely simple; I tested it out with a (modified) real deck of cards, and in game several times.

Its also, unlike most of the games in the docs, involves some skill.

Dune Trade (2 Players) - Dune Trade has been played for as long as caravans have crossed the deserts of Zalanthas, by merchants of all stripes with a knack for shrewd bargaining. Legend has it that it arose sometime in the 900s.

Each player is dealt three cards at the beginning of the game, and a single card is set down in the Order pile. Whichever player is going first- and this can be decided by whatever means is fair-decides whether or not to make an Offerof one of their cards. This card is (ostensibly) of one of higher or equal value to the card set down, or of the same suit and one rank lower. The other player may choose to do one of two things...

1) Offer a card of their own...
2) Decide not to offer...

Round Outcomes

- If both players offered, both must show their cards. Whichever player has the lowest ranked card; but one which is still higher than the value of the 'Order' card, draws from the deck, called the 'Oasis.' Both of the cards offered must be discarded.

• If both offers are of the same value, neither player gains from the deal and neither draws from the deck Oasis
  • If one offer is illegal, that player must discard an additional card in addition to their offer.
  • If both offers are illegal, either nothing happens, or a roll of the dice determines who draws (Special Rule), with one player choosing even and the other odd.

- If only one player offers and the other decides not to, the player who offered does not have to display or discard their offer. They immediately draw from the 'Oasis.'

- If neither player offers, play continues as normal. Each round is called a 'Bargain'

After one round is complete, another card is set down in the 'Order' pile from the deck (Oasis). The game is over when the Oasis dries up, and whichever player has the most cards wins the pot.

Note: a player also loses if he or she runs out of cards, or elects to give up.
Note: an offer one rank lower than the Order, but of the same suit, beats a card of the same rank, no matter what suit.

Suits: Wind, Sun, Stone, Water
Ranks: Life (6), Truth (5), Fate (4), Kings (3), Deceit (2), Death (1)

Terminology:
   - The Oasis is the deck, which is drawn from by players when they win a bargain, and is also the source of new Order cards.
   - The Order is what the players are trying to match with their offers--offers must be higher than the order (or one lower in rank, but the same suit) to be 'legal'
   - An (Offer) is the card offered by either player to match the order. An offer is (Legal) if it is of higher rank than the Order card, or one rank lower and of the same suit. An offer does not have to be shown unless both players make offers during the bargain.
   - The Bargain is the name for the round.

Special Rules (Selective): Players may use all or none of the special rules and cards as they choose.
   Standard Variant -
      * The 'Water of Life' will win any bargain, and can be played by either player at any time.
      * The 'Wind of Fate' can be played any time during the round. A new order card must be drawn from the Oasis, and if the Offers are already out, they count for the new Order.

OOC Commands:
   - Deal 3 cards to each player
   - The dealer deals himself a card and junks it, with a preemote (sets it down in the order pile) each round.
   - When both players must discard their offers, they junk their cards. If they don't need to show their cards, they don't need to discard them either.
   - Deal a player a card if they have won a bargain.
   - The game ends when the Kruth deck (Oasis) is empty

Sounds like a lot of fun, but instead of 'junk'ing cards, let them be laid down so that you give con-artists and those with 'sleight of hands' skill a way to cheat.  :D

I will definitely try this out.

Thanks!!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

This would be great if there were two Kruth decks involved, since using cards in emotes or commands reveals their value.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

August 07, 2008, 10:42:30 AM #3 Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:50:38 AM by Marauder Moe
Problem: there's no way to have both players simultaneously reveal their offer.

Also, the dealer could substitute a card from his own hand when dealing a new Order card.

My pickpocket always won Kruth games.

I'm not against cheating in cards.

I'm against cheating in cards without having to make a skill check.