Bolt of Death?

Started by halfbreed, May 09, 2003, 03:15:58 AM

Hmmm, nasty trick, leaving a bolt around in the town market so that the next guy who sells it gets flagged as wanted.

But codewise, isn't this a bit much?  Swords and armor I can sorta understand, but city ammunition?  Why would you be a criminal assumed guilty of killing a city guard or something just because you picked up some ammo?  Ammo is made to be used and disposable, not kept around like some city relic.
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

If any item has the seal of the city I doubt you will gain any sort of sympathy from the respective militia and/or templarate of that city.

Regardless of whether it's disposible or not, if it is readily recognized as property of the city then it's a stolen good you are trying to sell.

If the object doesn't indicate in any way in it's description of its origin, then yea I could see you having a point, but I doubt -any- legitimate merchant of whatever city it is would accept goods that were marked as belonging to the militia and immediatly turn you in.

Regardless of how you got it, the merchant has no idea how you got it.  For all he knows you pulled it out of your side after a militia man shot it at you or you just pilfered them from a militia man's quiver.  Regardless the bolt obviously did not get into your hands through legal means most likely since most militia men do not (or atleast to my knowledge are not supposed to) go out randomly hunting wasting the cities money by using bolts that they've been issued willy nilly.  

With the templarate as oppressive as it is I doubt a merchant is going to take any chances.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Heh, I'm sure you're probably right that a vendor who knew where those bolts came from would never buy it.  But screaming immediately for templars the moment it's presented seems a bit odd as well... I'd imagine that there'd be a decent amount of such ammo found around the city perimiter.

Bolts would be fired I imagine at suspicious characters, angry gith, meks, etc which came too close to the city.  My fault though for not examining it first... it may indeed have had some specific city-state marks on it.  Mental note for next time.

The assess command can be used for this.  If you are a native to the city you are in it will tell you something like this when you use it:

>assess sword
A jade-emblazoned, obsidian longsword looks like a militia weapon.

But again, this only works if you're native to the city in question, as a native would probably know what the local militia weapons looks like.

-Myrdryn
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Oooh, thanks for the tip Mydrin.  That'll help at least for your hometown, I'll make sure to do that in the future.

Wow, they tell you its militia property now.  What a great upgrade!  I remember finding a really nice jade-crossed sword in the street once.  I couldnt use a sword, so I thought "Wow, what luck! Scrab steak and whiskey for me tonight!"  I skipped my way merrily to the bazaar (bet you didnt know that you can walk, run, sneak, and skip, hunh?) to sell the sword, which I assumed to be of Salaar make.  _I_ didnt know that the city's seal had a jade cross, the only reason I could think of to put a seal on a weapon was to mark its manufacturer.  So I went up to the grizzled weaponsmith behind the counter, and before I knew what was happening, templars were issuing orders, half giants were subduing me, despite my attempts to struggle away, and my ass was eating moldy bread in a dingy low-sun resort with dripping water and darkness.
 Yes, a newbie friendly tag on the sword.  Well, newbie friendly if the newbie thinks to assess it.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

This happened to me once. I sold a sword to Salaar just like you said, but guards didnt run in and grab me. They just yelled and it informed me I was wanted. So I walked down a few rooms to the Traders and there was a lovely little templar. I pleaded my case, paid a 200 sid fine and was un-wanted. It was neat.

That rocks Jenred.  Wish I could have pulled it off.  Unfortunately... a few steps out of the store I was attacked by a rather zealous soldier who pursued me a good ways until I fled to the rynth.  ;)

I was a newbie (second character) when I tried to sell a jade sword. Yep, Salarr merchant saw it and screamed, and I was -wanted-. I didn't even make it out of the bazaar when I was apprehended by a soldier and taken to the dungeon.

Met two templars shortly after, got off with a fine. Saw them kill a magicker for practicing unliscenced magicks. All in all, it was downright scary, almost overwhelming and harsh.

I was hooked. I think it's actually a good introduction to the game.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Same thing happened to me when I was still very new.  I got dragged away to jail and interrogated by a Templar.  It was VERY frightening and I think I barely escaped execution in the arena.  I loved it.

First character... first day... That's why I hate dwarves. They can't be subdued easily. And I hate soldiers of course, they DO scratch. At least the new newbies will hopefully assess weapons... then sell them anyway; "Militia weapon? Oh that must be expensive."
Have I ever told you the times when my newbie ranger was wandering with a Byn cloak and Salarri epaulettes?
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Chuckle, 3rd char on this account, also dwarf...La la, Oh look a pair of obsidian sword just laying right next to the salaar weapons merchant....

Anyway, soldiers failed subdue started beating the snot out this poor newbie ranger who did manage to run several times before a halfgiant managed to grab him...luckily while sitting in the dungeon with some winged girl, got some rp in and read about the neat little nosave command and promptly made a macro for it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Oh, and I figure the swords were from when the soldier dropped his weapons to subdue the newbie before me who was trying to sell militia weapons...chuckle....any staff want to admit to watching dropped militia weapons to see how many newbies can be snagged...is there a betting pool?
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"I would like, if I may, to take you, on a strange journey.

Easy... Rocky Horror Picture Show.  8)

Quote from: "X-D"luckily while sitting in the dungeon with some winged girl, got some rp in and read about the neat little nosave command and promptly made a macro for it.

Was nice to have someone to rot in a cell with, even if he did insist on putting the torch away after looking to leech some food.  8)

QuoteDelirium wrote
Easy... Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Yup, now, without cheating like somebody else has:) what about the other two...Oh, I will be doing a google search on my next set of quotes to make sure they are NOT there:)

Not a Demon wrote:

QuoteWas nice to have someone to rot in a cell with, even if he did insist on putting the torch away after looking to leech some food.

Sheesh, and I figured no way anybody would remember that little tidbit of time..glad did though.

Sorry about the torch, can't remember if was in the byn or not but definitly starving and no sid to buy another torch.....funny thing is, that char went on to live for better then another 10(between 10 and 18 ) ic years and 30+days

Something that suprises me to this day.
Lizzie:

Quote from: "X-D"
And now time for a bit of the ultra violence.  -- Anthony Burgess?

There were arabs with knives at the foot of the bed, right at the foot of the bed!  -- Roger Waters
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Yup.....clockwork orange and pros and con of hitch hiking

Ah, now I have the whole day to think of new ones and make sure they are not easily found on the web:)
Lizzie:

Whoa whoa, I called the Clockwork Orange one a long time ago.

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3185&highlight=clockwork+orange

I just want credit because it's the only one I'll ever know :P

Ok Ok, Tony gets credit for the clockwork orange, Lazloth gets Roger waters and Delirium gets RHPS...

Hhhmm, sometime this week I'm going to total up the scores so far and keep a tally :)
Lizzie: