Gibberling's Climb Question on Ask the Staff

Started by Lizzie, August 03, 2008, 08:26:42 AM

August 03, 2008, 08:26:42 AM Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:10:36 AM by Lizzie
Gibberling wrote:
QuoteDoes wielding weapons affect your ability to climb? For example, if I was carrying a weapon in each hand and had additional inventory items-- would it be harder for me to climb then if all my items were in a backpack strapped to my back?

Edited because BM is right, I could have worded it differently.

If you were carrying a weapon in each hand, and had additional inventory items (which is what you are considering for your hypothetical situation), do you think it -should- be harder to climb than if all your things were tucked in a pack strapped to your back (which is what you are considering for your hypothetical situation), even if the code has not been written to take these things into consideration?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

August 03, 2008, 08:41:25 AM #1 Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:43:27 AM by BlackMagic0
Quote from: Lizzie on August 03, 2008, 08:26:42 AM
Gibberling wrote:
QuoteDoes wielding weapons affect your ability to climb? For example, if I was carrying a weapon in each hand and had additional inventory items-- would it be harder for me to climb then if all my items were in a backpack strapped to my back?
That isn't to say you can't combine the two. In fact, I believe the combining the two is what the Armageddon world, code and virtual atmosphere, is all about. But pretending one doesn't exist just so you can make use of the other - no matter which side you're favoring, just seems - not very right to me.

I could pretty easily climb a tree with a knife in one hand, I have done it with a saw in one hand in the past. I've climbed up the side of a house, a metal thing pole, trees (some as tall as houses with 2-3 floors), fences, cars, and more with only one hand at most AND not a single piece of climbing gear.

Also I believe the same on the environment thing..... Climbing up a crumbling side of a crap-shit-building in the 'rinth, not that hard to do one handed and with a knife in the other and no gear. Climbing up the face of the shield wall, most likely a hell of a lot harder. I agree having both hands full of crap is terrible play on the person's part, but with one hand is do able / without climbing gear, depending on the virtual climb (Shield Wall vs Crumbling side of building). But, We do not need to automagickally assume he is looking for the twink-advantage to the code.

By the way - Simply pointing out that this comment is what made me think you were taking the 'He is trying to get an advantage' card, could be worded better suppose. (Comment in bold)
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

August 03, 2008, 08:49:05 AM #2 Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:08:34 AM by Lizzie
I'm sorry Black Magic.

Edited because BM is right, I shouldn't post.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

It's merely a question about the coded representation of the game world.

Most of us had those sorts of questions when we were new.

Such a question does not mean that the player has no respect or concept of the gameworld. They merely may be curious as to the extent of its coded realism.

There's really no need to give them a lecture on respecting the world for an innocuous question.

August 03, 2008, 09:00:04 AM #4 Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:02:07 AM by BlackMagic0
Quote from: Yam on August 03, 2008, 08:52:09 AM
Such a question does not mean that the player has no respect or concept of the gameworld. They merely may be curious as to the extent of its coded realism.

There's really no need to give them a lecture on respecting the world for an innocuous question.

At least Yam understands what I was getting at. No need to post your "IF" statement which -is- a lecture, to curiosity.

Either way, Cheers.  Nothing gained from arguing, said my peace.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

We don't typically reveal information like this and, in general, refer players to find out in-game rather than ask (at least when it is a case like the one you are suggesting).

The way I would suggest finding out in-game would be to try it.  When asking about the code behind actions in game, we do not reveal that. 

I'll give you a few examples of questions that we do not answer, so you can get an idea of it:

"What does <x skill> branch into?"
"What equipment can I wear or use to help <x skill> work better?"
"Where can I find <x item>?"

These are not all exactly similar to this question, but this should help you figure out the process behind what would be answered in this forum and what won't be.

I hope that helps!

hmm... On my own I've been trying climbing with items and wielding something vs. not wielding vs. dropping my pack(a basket on my back) and items vs. climbing naked.  I haven't noticed any difference. I'm also probably not an experienced climber.  To me it looks like I have about a 1/8 chance of success regardless.   

I think it's a legitimate question. If you were a character in the game it would be very obvious whether or not it affected your climbing. It isn't obvious as a player trying to play the game.

I know armageddon works hard to make their game realistic.  They've done a great job, as this is by far the most realistic game I've ever played.

But, keeping information hidden that should be obvious is counterproductive.  It makes armageddon feel less like an alternate world and more like a game with unknown rules.

I think the transparency of game mechanics should be made based on whether it would be obvious IC.

Anyway, hopefully I'm not getting myself in too much trouble by disagreeing.

Assume the gameworld behaves realistically, even a little after it proves otherwise. You're most likely to be correct in this position.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

That's a good point I suppose.  :)

Although, if the answer is no, I still think I should have been told. It's more like a game if you have to figure out rules that should be obvious, which I was asked too.

Quote from: a strange shadow on August 03, 2008, 02:58:33 PM
If you think it should, act like it does.

QFFT
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

QuoteIf you think it should, act like it does.

Will do.