Shame (the opposite of bragging)

Started by Halcyon, August 03, 2008, 02:54:48 AM

I don't really mudsex anymore, but several years ago one of my characters was involved with a certain bynner known for her amorous tendancies.
After a tryst in the backroom of Reds Retreat my characte stumbled out to the bar, except I had confused some keywords in my dressing and was wearing everything... Except pants, which were still in my pack.
Walking over to the bar (swaggering) A pair of militia men and a very unfriendly templar took notice of my pantsless situation and a young noble lady begane emoting about how disturbing it was. I didn't notice for a good 10 minutes why everyone was staring and pointing. And when I did, the only thing I could think of to do was wink at the templar and say "Nice huh?"... Things didn't go so well from there, but it was definately entertaining while it lasted. *facepalm*

Quote from: Kebron on August 14, 2012, 06:01:28 PM
Except pants, which were still in my pack.

> someone has forced you to feel drafty

You feel drafty.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Hahhaahha, I soooooooo have a hilarious log to submit regarding absent pants once the year is up.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The first time I ever played in Tuluk, Freil's Rest was (is?) a starting point and I was like "hey that sounds like a cool city not too allanak not too tuluk" so I didn't get the Tuluk tattoos when I went up and I registered as an assassin right out of chargen.

Anytime someone asked where I was from I was like "Freil's Rest" and they were like "Oh, Tuluk?" and I was like "no stupid Freil's rest duh".

say (moseying up to ~bar) Say, where can I get registered as an assassin with the Faithful?

And then an staff-animated Templar came and gave me the assassin stuff and then I got a bunch of stares and I was like "what the hell" and someone told me non-citizens couldn't register as assassins (even though I was actually a citizen and also an idiot) and a PC Lirathan came and gave me a free money to get a thing to make up for the assassin thing.

That character died being framed for the murder of his vivaduan-friend while they were salting. The vivaduan friend got killed by a gith.

Also he ran around in the 'rinth killing elves to take their knife-belts to give to some chick in Allanak and I practiced backstab on all the 'rinth NPCs.

That's the story of my first guild_assassin

On the very first mud I ever played I did the stupidest, most hilarious things, that I still get flack about from my friends :)

A greed-eyed brunette says to a blue-eyed blonde "I grow tired of this world!"

quit

My best friend, who was teaching me the ropes of mudding and the person I said that to, called me, laughing hysterically and explained that when logging off, people just RP that you were napping, or tending to other mundane things. Every so often she still tells me "I grow tired of this world!" when hanging up the phone. I don't think I'll ever live it down.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard

Quote from: Belimedra on August 17, 2012, 12:14:45 AM
On the very first mud I ever played I did the stupidest, most hilarious things, that I still get flack about from my friends :)

A greed-eyed brunette says to a blue-eyed blonde "I grow tired of this world!"

quit

My best friend, who was teaching me the ropes of mudding and the person I said that to, called me, laughing hysterically and explained that when logging off, people just RP that you were napping, or tending to other mundane things. Every so often she still tells me "I grow tired of this world!" when hanging up the phone. I don't think I'll ever live it down.

OH god that's so funny.

I might have been responsible for people recategorizing all the junk they had in their apartments by the length of their shadows.

Quote from: Dar on August 17, 2012, 01:02:20 AM
I might have been responsible for people recategorizing all the junk they had in their apartments by the length of their shadows.
How... did you do that??
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on August 17, 2012, 04:11:55 AM
Quote from: Dar on August 17, 2012, 01:02:20 AM
How... did you do that??

I think that belongs in the bragging thread.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I didn't really 'get' Armageddon for my first few characters, and made PCs mistakenly while not familiar with the documentation...

One of my first PCs thought he was going to preach a different religion, and did so openly.

I think that character may have set a record for the shortest-lived PC ever.

My very first character somehow ended up in some soldiers' barracks, and power emoted how ignorant they were to her thievery of their footlocker.  Also very short lived.

So glad I caught on, and am only an imbecilic noob every 2 out of 5 characters now!  ;D

I went to the republican thread..... and I liked it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Playing my first real independent PC after maybe two years of playing.

Real= lasted more than an hour played and with a playable concept
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Some years back, when I just began playing, my character participated in one of those battle RPTs, where the text runs so fast you cant figure 'anything' out. When your whole participation involves following the leader of your clan and typing <assist leader> every so often. Well, I was doing just that ... for awhile.

We were clearing out a gith camp. The key of the shame was that somewhere down the road, somehow in my head, my <assist leader> turned into <kill leader> and I did that three times during the RPT. The leader and I assume the rest of the entourage ... never noticed.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

I wrote a description while drunk once, wtf I thought, it's just a throw away anyway. Don't think I'll do THAT again.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I once apped a character with the Sdesc "the dreaded, something-something man" trying to sound cool with my dreadlocks.  Obviously wasn't thinking too hard on that one.

Staff sent back a rejection:  That word doesn't mean what you think it does.   :-[

Extra points if his name was Roberts.

Quote from: SpyGuy on September 05, 2012, 03:26:54 PM
I once apped a character with the Sdesc "the dreaded, something-something man" trying to sound cool with my dreadlocks.  Obviously wasn't thinking too hard on that one.

Staff sent back a rejection:  That word doesn't mean what you think it does.   :-[

noun
terror or apprehension as to something in the future; great fear.
a person or thing dreaded.
dreads, Informal . dreadlocks.

Informal . a person who wears dreadlocks.

Archaic . deep awe or reverence.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 28, 2012, 01:06:44 PM
Quote from: SpyGuy on September 05, 2012, 03:26:54 PM

noun
terror or apprehension as to something in the future; great fear.
a person or thing dreaded.
dreads, Informal . dreadlocks.

Informal . a person who wears dreadlocks.

Archaic . deep awe or reverence.

A short description is intended to speak for itself without requiring a lengthy review of the full character description.  If you were to just glance at someone, the sdesc should generally be the "snapshot" of what the mdesc contains.  In this case, "dreaded" would be ambiguous.  The most prominent definitions (in your example, definitions 1-6) would certainly make it a little confusing.  That's why you don't see too many folks out there with ambiguous sdesc words.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

You also have to consider the context of the word usage.

I don't think anyone but a noob would be confused by the word 'dreaded' in the context of an sdesc, because everyone else knows that an sdesc only describes physical characteristics.  Ergo, when you're conducting your mental inventory of what 'dreaded' means, the non-physical-descriptor meanings of the word are immediately thrown out, which leaves only one possibility:  this fellow wears his hair in dreadlocks.

Noobs will be confused by many things, but they will learn.  I don't think we should necessarily have to sentence people to using 4 more characters in an already space-limited sdesc just because a noob might be confused about whether this guy is dreaded because he has dreadlocks, or dreaded because everyone fears him.

It really is a silly nitpick.  I'm sorry if you were the one who did it, but it's a pretty weak call.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

To be fair, to use the term dreaded is more of a slang expression and my shame is that I totally missed reading into it the more common usage of the term.

But to be unfair, yeah man!  Dreaded just sounds cool.

I suggested "dreadlocked" instead, as I recall.  It was a simple "hey, this word means more than one thing, you may want to specify."  We don't necessarily step out there and say "you can't ever use this word," but all descriptions are approved with the reader in mind.  You might be worried only about newbies, but people who speak and read English as a second language can face confusion as well.  

Not to put too fine a point on it, but some people who speak, read, and write nothing but English all their lives are just bad at it, and with entirely good intentions...well...

Soldier:  "Lord templar"
Templar:  "Yes?"
Soldier:  "a man was stealing some stuff from this women in the bizarre"
Templar:  "Well, what did they look like?"
Soldier:  "he made me scared, that's all I know"
Templar:  "Please send in Corporal Amos; I will need at least four hands for the facepalm I want to do right now."

Yes, we're concerned about newbies, but we are trying to save templars from facepalming themselves into oblivion...in a very small way.

We do the same thing for other ambiguous description words or ambiguous descriptions.  In fact, I've even had a discussion with someone over their practice of following a list of synonyms out to a word that meant something different from the original word.  

It's not a really big deal or anything, but that's actually inside the thought process behind some of the rejections we make.  If you would like to make stronger calls, I heartily encourage you to apply for staff next time we are looking for new staff members.  :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on September 28, 2012, 04:29:07 PMTemplar:  "Please send in Corporal Amos; I will need at least four hands for the facepalm I want to do right now."
HAHAHAHAA!

If I believed in signatures, this would go in mine.

there is at least one dreaded NPC in the game. Ok, he's something-dreaded man, but still.

C-C-C-Combo breaker!

When I first stared I was convinced that a certain player was controlling the change of the npc guards. I kept panicing OOC when they kept comnig and going randomly. I was convinced I was about to die.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard

HAHAHa I have a friend that's trying Arm...He hasn't had much time to play lately but the other week he called frantic because he did not understand why the guy in the bank in Nak kept yelling. Arm is first mud and apparently he had been assuming everyone that talks or walks is a PC.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"