Shame (the opposite of bragging)

Started by Halcyon, August 03, 2008, 02:54:48 AM

Quote from: Pale Horse on January 28, 2011, 05:59:19 AM
Quote from: Reiteration on January 27, 2011, 11:29:53 PM
You aren't playing if you aren't emoting, you're just going through tasks mechanically.  :-[

emoting =/= role playing.

emoting + saying = roleplaying
Hack & slash =/= roleplaying
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: Thunkkin on January 27, 2011, 09:32:19 AM
Is 100% guilty of not emoting much when I'm on my own and then, upon realizing that I'm being watched (imm or otherwise), starting to emote with nearly every action. In my head, I can't help but think, "Idiot, you know they're rolling their eyes at you." On the other hand, I suppose staff is used to this and perhaps, as former players, sympathetic to it. Out of shame, I usually don't get too flowery in these situations so that's not TOO eye-rolling. But I still am totally guilty of this.

On the other hand, I do love it when staff livens something up and brings the world to life in ways that I often forget about until reminded. Thanks staff!  Sorry I'm a dweeb. :D

Bold and underlined part bolded and underlined for emphasis: no one's saying they don't emote at all when they don't think someone's watching. Everyone who's posted here in agreement with Thunkkin, is agreeing that they don't emote much, during those times. That implies, conversely, that they do emote some. Just not much.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Reiteration on January 27, 2011, 11:38:32 PM
Quote from: HavokBlue on January 27, 2011, 11:34:50 PM
I don't really think that's true. If there's nobody around, and my character is doing something, I'm picturing the scene in my head and I know how my character is doing it. Most of the time, it doesn't occur to me to describe that in words for myself when I already have an idea of what's happening. On the off chance that some secret assassin or staffer or somebody is hiding in the wardrobe watching, and I >EAT SAUSAGE, there's a room echo for how I'm eating the sausage. The lack of any elaboration on the generic echo doesn't change the fact that my character is eating the sausage, etc etc.

but you can't spam eat sausages like people can twink skills.

Indeed, you can do it much better. Sausages are far closer to spam than skills are.  :D

Quote from: lordcooper on January 28, 2011, 06:48:29 AM
Quote from: Pale Horse on January 28, 2011, 05:59:19 AM
Quote from: Reiteration on January 27, 2011, 11:29:53 PM
You aren't playing if you aren't emoting, you're just going through tasks mechanically.  :-[

emoting =/= role playing.

emoting + saying = roleplaying
Hack & slash =/= roleplaying

roleplaying != playing, if you read closer at what I said.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

I probably wouldn't emote very much by myself if I thought no one was watching.  But I always assume someone is watching.

My shame is that the majority of my characters last one month or less.  Some of my favorites lasted almost exactly one month.  It seems like the more I love the character, the more likely they are to die 30 days after creation.  Just long enough to really get into them, but not long enough to play their story to the hilt.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on January 28, 2011, 10:55:13 AM
I probably wouldn't emote very much by myself if I thought no one was watching.  But I always assume someone is watching.

My shame is that the majority of my characters last one month or less.  Some of my favorites lasted almost exactly one month.  It seems like the more I love the character, the more likely they are to die 30 days after creation.  Just long enough to really get into them, but not long enough to play their story to the hilt.

My longest-lived character died in the most embarrasing way i could ever imagine, outside of mudsex death. it was more than a year ago but i ought not describe it.

let's just say that the flood caused my death and i wasn't in tuluk.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Do you mean 30 days of IG playtime or one real-life month like January?

My shame is that I like to think I'm a pretty decent roleplayer, then I run across someone whose emotes, says, and everything else just blows me away.

I always feel so dumb after an encounter like that, and shake my head at my own arrogance for even -entertaining- the idea that I'm a decent roleplayer.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote from: DesertT on January 28, 2011, 01:30:01 PM
My shame is that I like to think I'm a pretty decent roleplayer, then I run across someone whose emotes, says, and everything else just blows me away.

I suspect that happens to everyone, without exception. :)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I always feel so dumb after an encounter like that, and shake my head at my own arrogance for even -entertaining- the idea that I'm a decent roleplayer.

An important distinction: A good role-player and a good writer are not one in the same. But one certainly compliments the other.

As long as you are capable of understanding your character's motivations, and are able to respond to situations while keeping those motivations in mind, then you are a good role-player. Often, extravagant emotes just show knowledge of vocabulary.

(This can be especially fun when playing a poorly educated character who speaks simply but emotes with great eloquence)

/derail

My shame: I nod at everything. Sometimes it's a well described nod which involves environmental effects and nearby PCs/NPCs, but just as likely it's the "nod" command.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

My shameful moments are those when I choose to play Arms even when sleep deprived and cognitively impaired. My RP during those times is so bad (misreading sentences, being inconsistent with the character, no follow through) that I'm just going to apologize to whoever I've interacted and will interact with in those fuzzy times.

One if my favorite RPers/their character is actually as basic in terms of emoting as it gets. The character is just so consistent and in being so nonthreatening, lets my focus slip from worrying about churning out an amazing phrase to communicating my character, which is how it should be.

My shame is that the majority of my characters last one month or less . . . .
Do you mean 30 days of IG playtime or one real-life month like January?

One RL month, regardless of the number of days played.  Which has only in no instance exceeded 30 for me =p
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

my best rp emoting ever came out of the one single moment i remember not trying to be a good emoter.

i need to stop doing that, trying to, rather than just letting it flow. i'm a storywriter and they're supposed to be somewhere between readable and great according to other people.

i had one pretty cool death but that's not shameful.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

My longest lived character's background was a re-tooled version of the plot of Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

It was late at night on Cingel, the 4th day of the Ascending Sun
In the Year of Drov's Vengeance, year 24 of the 21st Age

I was born in the City of Anallak one-and-twenty years ago, to a guard
employed by the merchant house Kadius.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 28, 2011, 03:57:43 PM
It was late at night on Cingel, the 4th day of the Ascending Sun
In the Year of Drov's Vengeance, year 24 of the 21st Age

I was born in the City of Anallak one-and-twenty years ago, to a guard
employed by the merchant house Kadius.

loooooooooooooooool

:D

Ha, I'll have to see if I can dig up some of my own "gems".
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

January 29, 2011, 01:21:54 AM #566 Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:25:13 AM by Gunnerblaster
QuoteInitial Background : Jul 30, 2006
It was early afternoon on Waleuk, the 83rd day of the Low Sun
In the Year of Dragon's Agitation, year 28 of the 21st Age

Orphaned at the age of 2.  Taken in by street-wise thug.  Grew up in the
streets, scavenging and fighting to live.  Living by wits and cunning.  He
keeps himself distance from everyone e xcept the man who raised himfrom
social sight, to not raise interest in his person.

Yeah... First bio evah. Total wyn, right there.

Start Location: Allanak
Human Pickpocket/Thug

Thankfully, after my first character - I started putting some epic thought into all my bio's.

Bio #2
Initial Background : Aug 07, 2006
It was dawn on Cingel, the 213th day of the Low Sun
In the Year of Dragon's Agitation, year 28 of the 21st Age

Born and raised in the farming village of Menos, lived a little, quiet
life that was void of much meaning or excitement.  His father was a farmer,
who had been born and raised in Menos.  His mother had been a traveling
mercenary until she became pregnant with Cutt.  His mother settled down in
Menos and raised Cutt to be, both, a farmer and a fighter.  As Cutt turned
17, his mother and father had readied their kanks and a wagon to head for
Allanak, to look for something nice to buy Cutt.  On their way there,
though, their wagon was ambushed by raiders, and they killed Cutt's mother
and father.  Cutt had been left for dead and with little supplies, but he
managed to return back to his hometown of Menos.  Finding no meaning in
staying in a life that wasn't his, he took what he could and he left the
farming village of Menos, in hopes of finding his calling to life
elsewhere...

The funny thing is - You can see the time comparison between characters wasn't more than a week :P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I've only had one character die in front of other players.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on January 29, 2011, 09:40:13 AM
I've only had one character die in front of other players.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: MeTekillot on January 28, 2011, 03:37:12 PM
My longest lived character's background was a re-tooled version of the plot of Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

My first rukkian was essentially "Belgareth the sorcerer" From the book of the same name.

If you never read it... I HIGHLY recomend finding a copy.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I haven't made a character based off Doom Guy.
RIP AND TEAR!
Backstab is actually the only dialog option an assassin has.

Quote from: Medivh on January 29, 2011, 04:53:54 PM
I haven't made a character based off Doom Guy.
RIP AND TEAR!

Rippin' and a tearin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEgTeX8J4Uo

What sort of Arm type would this guy be? Shameful.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dan, your avatar is so damn funny.

due to past deaths, i find leaving cities at all frightening, since I know how close (IC-sensitives), (IC-sensitives) and (IC-sensitives) can get to apparently safe places.... and none of those are scrab beetles or kryl. but since my modern characters who have most of their marbles are way more cautious than my past characters its more realistic now.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

I sometimes use 'you'/'your' instead of ~character's shortdesc if I'm in a room alone with another char...

Forgive!  :-[

Quote from: Mooney on February 04, 2011, 02:27:54 AM
I sometimes use 'you'/'your' instead of ~character's shortdesc if I'm in a room alone with another char...

Forgive!  :-[

I do the same, but I use ^ and ! instead of % and ~ when alone.  In the case I am typing out long dialogues or emotes, it gives me more space in the buffer. ;)
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger