Shame (the opposite of bragging)

Started by Halcyon, August 03, 2008, 02:54:48 AM

Shield Wall Fall

My shame is about my first time falling off the Shield Wall.  I had started in Tuluk and been skilling up with this guy, who decided to show me Allanak.  I had never had a character go to Allanak before, in fact, I hadn't been much south of Luirs at all.  So we went and starting killing gith for their knots of spice.  We were by the Shield Wall when the game crashed.  When I came back on, the other guy wasn't around.  But a gith was.  So I ended up fleeing over the Shield Wall.  Not so shameful, so far.

I found a cart to rest in.  Then, on foot, looked around a little.  I saw a nomad.  I wanted his swords (OOC'ly).  Only when I attacked him, he was kicking my ass.  So I fled to the cart.  Rested.  Attacked again.  Rested, attacked again.  Eventually he followed me into the cart.  So I fled out.  For whatever reason, he didn't follow me out.  Completely twinkish, really.

A dwarf came along, riding the base of the Shield Wall.  I convinced him the nomad had attacked me, so he killed the nomad and I took its swords.  Then he let me walk with him, all the way to Tuluk.  Thus saving my character's life (since I had absolutely no idea where I was).  I never saw the dwarf go south again, I always wonder if that is when he left Nak for good.

While my character hadn't been in the Byn, and thus I don't have a proper "First Fall off the Shield Wall" story, the dwarf had been.  His name was Thanos.

Several real life weeks later, my character became head of the Byn.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Jingo on March 28, 2010, 11:43:43 PM
I afk alot.

Sometimes just because I'm interested in a few minutes of net surfing.

I just have both windows open, so I can instantly respond if needed. The screen wrap for Arm is perfect for a half-mushclient half-firefox screen.

I afk a lot.

Mostly because when I'm logged in for 8 hours, I can't actually spend all that time on the game, but I still want to be available for people who way me. I can't just log off, what if they try to contact me 5 minutes after I logged off and then I don't hear from them again for two real life weeks due to my offpeakness?  :-\

The funny thing about chance and circumstance is...

Holy fuck. Went afk like 5 hours ago to do the dishes.

Went to sleep. Woke up. Had a cigarette. Came to the computer to check email. Noticed I'd wound up linkdead because I got autodisconnected in a quit room after however long afk. Because my dumb ass forgot to log out.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 29, 2010, 09:58:30 AM

Went to sleep. Woke up. Had a cigarette. Came to the computer to check email. Noticed I'd wound up linkdead because I got autodisconnected in a quit room after however long afk. Because my dumb ass forgot to log out.

Been there.  Done that.

At least you came back to a living character...right?
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on March 29, 2010, 11:39:30 AM

Been there.  Done that.

At least you came back to a living character...right?

Yeah be thankful for that. I've gone afk, forgot about being logged in, fell asleep and walked up to my computer to see my unconscious pc dying from starvation and thirst. I waited it out for a while waiting to see if they'd pull out of it...they never did.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Fair enough.

OH!

With my first pc, Sira, I lost my internet while logged in and came back four days later to her outside the walls, LD, and only a little hungry/thirsty... right near where a carru usually hangs out... with a merchant.

Good job!

But seriously, I'm glad my pc didn't die last night.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Um... don't feel bad. I've been logged in, and mind you, when I'm logged in I am most of the time multi-tasking between reading the GDB and other things, but anyway... logged in before work, went off to the gdb or something, which covered my client, realized I needed to get going and closed the lid to my lap top... all without logging out. I have come home... three times that I can remember where I'm like, Dude! WTF! Why is Arm logged in?! Who's been using my computer?! And then I realize that it was me... 9 or so hours earlier. Never died from that though, thank god.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 29, 2010, 01:07:22 AM
Quote from: Jingo on March 28, 2010, 11:43:43 PM
I afk alot.

Sometimes just because I'm interested in a few minutes of net surfing.

I just have both windows open, so I can instantly respond if needed. The screen wrap for Arm is perfect for a half-mushclient half-firefox screen.

This.

Shame: After certain events changed the world, and I knew ICly where things were changed.... My brain was apparently on auto pilot, and I moved to a room that was no longer there. :-(
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

>look sharp
You look up at a sharp-eyed female prostitute.

>ask sharp sex
You say to a sharp-eyed female prostitute, in sirihish:
     "sex"

>help prostitute
There is no help on topic 'prostitute'.

Quote from: AClockworkMelon on March 31, 2010, 06:28:35 AM
>look sharp

>ask sharp sex
     "sex"

>help prostitute

Bahaha...That ones hilarious. Pretty sure I'd have done the same when I first arrived as well.
Free your hate.

Quote from: Akaramu on March 29, 2010, 04:51:38 AM
I afk a lot.

Mostly because when I'm logged in for 8 hours, I can't actually spend all that time on the game, but I still want to be available for people who way me. I can't just log off, what if they try to contact me 5 minutes after I logged off and then I don't hear from them again for two real life weeks due to my offpeakness?  :-\

Going off topic for a moment, but if you use windows you can use a program called always-on-top from HERE. This allows you to press CTRL + SPACE on an application to stop it from disappearing when another window gains focus, thus you can surf the web and have a little tiny arm window available. You can press CTRL + SPACE on a window again to remove this effect.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Nile on March 31, 2010, 06:44:33 AM
>look sharp

>ask sharp sex
     "sex"

>help prostitute

Bahaha...That ones hilarious. Pretty sure I'd have done the same when I first arrived as well.
Yep, me as well.  :D

..I find myself having problems figuring out how to interact with other PC's when I can't just beat them up for disagreeing with me.

Better stick to long-lived warrior types..
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on April 02, 2010, 10:04:22 PM
..I find myself having problems figuring out how to interact with other PC's when I can't just beat them up for disagreeing with me.

+1
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on April 02, 2010, 10:04:22 PM

Definitely +1
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

>look sharp

>ask sharp sex
     "sex"

>help prostitute

Same thing, different story. Only problem is the one in Tuluk actually had a talk script, and she actually conned me out of fifty 'sid!
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

I once logged in drunk and got a long lived pc of mine killed, remade a pc that night and got accepted and logged in within an hour. Went to sleep and when I woke up and logged in I had forgotten all about the night before. I proceeded to wander into the Gaj talking and emoting as though I was still my 80 day ranger.. including reminding folks of my impressive rank. All the while wearing newb boots.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on April 03, 2010, 07:46:47 PM
I once logged in drunk and got a long lived pc of mine killed, remade a pc that night and got accepted and logged in within an hour. Went to sleep and when I woke up and logged in I had forgotten all about the night before. I proceeded to wander into the Gaj talking and emoting as though I was still my 80 day ranger.. including reminding folks of my impressive rank. All the while wearing newb boots.

I took have learned the hard way about drunk gaming.  ;)
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

I have never played a Bynner.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

April 05, 2010, 08:45:57 AM #246 Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:47:31 AM by Thunkkin
It's been over a year, so I can tell this story.  Ashes gave my first character his noob hug and recruited me into Nak's militia.  Ashes' emotes were so awesome and his character's aura was so impressive, I was convinced the he must be the leader of the militia and possibly one of the most deadly people in Nak (his character was, in fact, a fresh recruit that I was able to kick around the sparring ring on day 1 - his emotes still kicked my ass, though).  My character was a ranger and Ashes assured me that there were plenty of crack shots in the militia.  It sounded like the perfect place for a guy with a bow!

Thus began my life as a city ranger.  

I used my wilderness skills so rarely (never branched a thing on a 15 day ranger) that usually just getting to whack a scrab around while on a patrol made me feel rugged and out-doorsy.  Then, we got an awesome templar who really spent time on the soldiers and took us out on field trips all the time.  She knew I was a ranger and one time took me out to hunt an elven magicker.  

I had never really used the hunt skill before.  This was exciting!  I figured than an elf had a long stride and low and behold, here were tracks left by someone with a long stride.  There were mount tracks leading into the area (obviously our beetles), but the long-strided tracks no doubt meant that we were just behind the elf!  I led this poor templar in crazy zig-zags through the entire western desert.  I could never tell which way the elf had gone, but I was always able to confirm that he HAD entered this area.  It was mysterious, though.  He never seemed to leave tracks that left the area ... only entered.

The templar mused that perhaps the elf was using foul magicks.  Eventually, I think she figured out what was going on and took us back home.

The truth of the matter?

My noob ranger was tracking the templar's half-giant guard.  I completely forgot about the guard and I was so inexperienced that I'd never been able to compare half-giant versus elf tracks.  So sure enough, each "room" that we entered, there were the long-strided tracks!

I only realized the truth later.  And hung my head in shame.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on April 05, 2010, 08:45:57 AM
There were mount tracks leading into the area (obviously our beetles), but the long-strided tracks no doubt meant that we were just behind the elf!  I led this poor templar in crazy zig-zags through the entire western desert.  I could never tell which way the elf had gone, but I was always able to confirm that he HAD entered this area.  It was mysterious, though.  He never seemed to leave tracks that left the area ... only entered.

It's not just you who's made this mistake. ;)

At your seat, you say in sirihish, dryly:
     "Yes, because the commoners -love- to show how patriotic they are through buying templar-shaped cookies."

I almost caused the Arm of the Dragon to have a bake sale with this comment.  :'(

I blame all my life's troubles on Gimfalisette.

I once made a dramatic announcement that I was quitting Armageddon forever because it was interfering with other things.

Now I'm back and playing because the practice is really helping me fulfill on other things in my life.

Way to go, Armageddon.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins