Shame (the opposite of bragging)

Started by Halcyon, August 03, 2008, 02:54:48 AM

Before I knew that trying to scramble for purchase when falling took HP, I spammed 'up' when falling a pretty far distance...  And caught ahold one room before the bottom. 

The problem?  My character was mortally wounded at that point.  Yes, scrambling for purchase incapacitated him.  Suffice it to say that he summarily died.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: satine on January 28, 2010, 05:12:06 PM
The freaking immobile dummy dodges your blow!
I've seen masters miss. And it's always funny to me.

The sand-filled sparring dummy exclaimes in tribal accented sirihish:
"Ha ha!, you missed me!"
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Hah. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ever-popular:

kick dummy
A sand-filled sparring dummy grabs your leg and knocks you down!

0.001 / 100 / 120 sitting, fighting a sparring dummy>facepalm
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

wish all ... And eat it too plz?
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I once saw a scrab -smirk- when a templar missed a blow at him.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on January 29, 2010, 01:23:12 AM
Before I knew that trying to scramble for purchase when falling took HP, I spammed 'up' when falling a pretty far distance...  And caught ahold one room before the bottom. 

The problem?  My character was mortally wounded at that point.  Yes, scrambling for purchase incapacitated him.  Suffice it to say that he summarily died.

My shame is that I've let the fear of that HP loss keep me from scrambling for purchase with every character I've had. Whenever I had to step off a cliff or go down a hole with a certain character, I'd just picture him flinging himself off the edge. And then he'd hit every rocky protuberance on the way down, Homer Simpson-style. "Well, I had to get down here -somehow-."
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 29, 2010, 10:35:48 AM
I once saw a scrab -smirk- when a templar missed a blow at him.

that probably was the echo from wrist razors

in which case this would be your shame for not catching the echo
some of my posts are serious stuff

Had the same thing happen with a tembo! I spent the rest of that PC's life arguing with the dwarf I was with about whether or not the tembo actually smirked at us.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Shhh... you're killing the moment.

(yes, it was wrist razors, but still made me laugh out loud)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: account notes>contact halfling;cease;contact 2.halfling;cease;contact 3.halfling;cease;etc.

Good thing they weren't paying attention when, while bored, I contacted that other thing.  Scary.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

They were paying attention, actually. Every Way to a NPC is forwarded to staff.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 29, 2010, 06:09:51 PM
They were paying attention, actually. Every Way to a NPC is forwarded to staff.

But not every contact.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

>Shoot beetle far west

Nothing is more deadly when you have your mount in the same room as you and you're aiming for the beetle to the far west.

The figure in a tattered brown hooded cloak is standing here
The figure in a dark hooded cloak is here, fighting the figure in a tattered brown hooded cloak
The figure in a dark hooded cloak is here, fighting the figure in a tattered brown hooded cloak

>Think uhhh...
>Kill figure

Not the best thing to do, since my friend was in the tattered cloak.  And everytime I tried to help out I just kept making it worse.

>disengage
>Rescue 2.figure

You charge infront of the figure in a dark hooded cloak, and knock him out of the way!
You inflict a grevious wound on the figure in a tattered brown hooded cloak's neck with your slash

Definitely my most shameful moment evar.  I still feel bad for that figure.

Kind of like having a pc thats really tall, and you friend pc is very short and the attacking pc is short, but the attacking pc has really long descriptors other than short and keeps popping in and out. Short is not a short cut to getting a head.

But maybe having your head be gotten.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

While having a friendly way-talk with a templar who I'd been trying to get on good terms with... quite successfully...

...I managed to way a think, which included a rather prominent guild character of the time, as well as something along the lines of 'I hope this templar doesn't know.'

Needless to say, this ended any further templar friendliness.

Also, I managed to ride into a depression of sorts with my 18 day assassin with incredible stats. Then I managed to exhaust myself trying to climb back up, and figured it would be a good idea to sleep JUST A MOMENT and recover enough to try climbing again. It wasn't a hard climb. Woke up to a desert elf attacking, and NEARLY won the fight with bare fists, but forgot to actually equip my weapon. Mantis head.  ::) (I was right next to a city, too. DUH.)

February 02, 2010, 12:28:27 PM #143 Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:30:25 PM by jmordetsky
One of my first characters. An elf in Nak. I think I hadn't even bothered to read the docs at this point, but vaguely remember that I could actually emote. Walking around Nak, ends up in the viv temple I think. Kills the NPC there. Takes the gem and I think "Ooooooh treasure!".

Walks into the Gaj trying to sell the gem, not understanding why no one will buy it. Saying things like, "why don't you want my treasure? This is worth thousands of dollars.". Templar finds me, I am soon dead.

One of my second characters. Gets arrested (back when they took all your shit and left you in a loin cloth which was awesome). For some reason a Borsail noble/person/whatever takes pity on me and gives me job. I gets outfitted in all the pretties and then he tells me *specifically* not to go to a specific place in Allanak but neglects to mention where this place is. I of course wander there and attempt to walk through it and die.

Next character (maybe these are out of order, I don't know), elf in Tuluk, during Naki occupation. Wanders around, finds a little barracks guarded by two half-giants who happen to not be guarding the entrance. Enters the barracks, finds a bunch of sweet cloaks and weapons. Black Militia cloaks. Jade emblazoned weapons. Jade cross armor. Sweet. Wears it all, wanders around the city. Templar finds me. Dead.

Borsail Wyvern. Gets bored of sitting in the compound. Decides to becomes a spice dealer. Rides south, sees some tents or a village or something with skulls mounted on the gates. Thinks, "I wonder if that is redstorm?". Enters. Dies.

(Much later)
Played a templar. Rping training a mage. Ask him to cast a specific spell on a sparry dummy for rp purposes. Then cast another spell on the dummy. Dummy comes to life, starts killing everyone. Angry imms.

(Much, much later)
Same templar is in a meeting with with NPC Imm. Getting yelled at. Think "We're alone aren't we? No guards...hmmm...yea, a little fire will shut him up".  Cast spell, and before I could draw my weapon they had lightly tapped my head twice without getting out of their chair, knocking me out. That didn't go over well.

(Much, Much later) Played an elven assassin bynner. Near-maxed backstab, branched parry, uber hide feeling bad ass. Someone tells me oocly, do you know if you are falling you can scramble for purchase? I say no, awesome. Climb a building in tuluk. Jump off and spam u;u;u;u;u to test it, not realizing that scrambling causes your hp to go down. Hit the ground with like -2 hp (poor endurance) bleeds out.

So much shame. So little time.

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

February 02, 2010, 07:14:56 PM #144 Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:20:18 PM by BlackMagic0
My biggest shame: Back in my newbie days!

I had a concept with two other players, to do a family role of three brothers which turned into five brothers without changing the background at all.

I made the first brother, died. Apped the same character, same background/desc, and changed 2 words on the short desc to get approved and get in game to DIE AGAIN.
THEN I apped the same character ONCE AGAIN with all the same things as the 2nd character, with only a different spelling for the name.

... And that brother lived to see the other brothers die.. to beetles...

The biggest shame in this whole thing?  IT ALL HAPPENED IN ONE DAY (24 hours)!  I got all three approved in one day, and two deaths in one day...  8)
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Had a seven day assassin get killed by a templar for murder. Well, multiple murders.
He had attempted to save the victim of one of the murders. He was <doing not inherently dangerous> thing with them.
He had never even killed anyone before.

:'(

Quote from: MeTekillot on February 02, 2010, 08:54:23 PM
Had a seven day assassin get killed by a templar for murder. Well, multiple murders.
He had attempted to save the victim of one of the murders. He was <doing not inherently dangerous> thing with them.
He had never even killed anyone before.

:'(

Impressive.
Alea iacta est

QuoteWalks into the Gaj trying to sell the gem,

You were marked for greatness!

I don't want to say, too shameful. My character died though.

Im sorry.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

If I remember rightly, one of my characters had the word penis in her mdesc. Was a good conversation starter.