Banks

Started by Kyleite, May 07, 2003, 03:24:05 PM

Is there any code that gives you money if you have 'sid in the bank, I think It would be a good idea if it isn't. It dosn't have to be much, but like have one coin for every day you have 1000 coins in the bank,  that's 11 coins a RL day. that wouldn't be much, but I think the people with money should be praised for their great talent in gathering money and only using it for nessesities....LIKE ME.... :D

:P

Bank interest you mean?

Nenyuk doesn't need to instill a system like that, I mean, they keep your sid safe on Zalanthas, and as if that isn't enough, they're the only bank, so no need to entice you.

I think of Nenyuk as more of a vault than a bank. Like, they have a little vault, and they put stuff in it and they keep it safe until you want it. Actually, I remember reading something about them being able to store items... I've never used it so I'm not even sure if this is actually implemented or if it was a suggestion of some sort. Thats just how I look at it, hopefully that makes some sense of why they wouldn't offer interest.
 great evil walks Zalanthas...
Master Z has arrived from the west!

My thinking is you're lucky Nenyuk doesn't charge YOU for letting you use their vault space to store your 'sids.  I can see it now:

> deposit 200 coins

The tall, incredibly wealthy man says to you:
"That will cost 2 coins per day"

> think "Krath..."
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

I guess you guys are all right... But, I still think $FREE MONEY$ would be a little nice. 8)

Except that Nenyuk, by investing in property, collecting rents and so on, -is- behaving rather like a modern banking institution.  They -aren't- just keeping your money safe; they -are- using it to buy property and make money for themselves.  A small interest dividend doesn't seem so much to ask.  That said, I tend to think the Arm economy is -pretty- well-balanced, and wouldn't like to see too many major tweaks.  Too much money laying around and the world suddenly isn't harsh anymore.

Quote from: "kyleite"I guess you guys are all right... But, I still think $FREE MONEY$ would be a little nice.

Nice, but its not Zalanthas. To quote the helpfiles:

Quote from: "Help_Armageddon"Life is hard. There are no free lunches on Zalanthas. There aren't even free drinks of water.

Its a good philosophy, though. Play an elf!

Quote from: "krelin"Except that Nenyuk, by investing in property, collecting rents and so on, -is- behaving rather like a modern banking institution. They -aren't- just keeping your money safe; they -are- using it to buy property and make money for themselves. A small interest dividend doesn't seem so much to ask.

Two points:

1) Who's to say Nenyuk isn't investing thier own money (or the money of all your dead Characters) in buying that real estate? The money is yours...untill you die (usually).

2) With the merchant houses, particularly a house like Nenyuk, you're dealing with monopolies. The fact that monopolies exist means that fairness and consumer rights go striaght out the window.  Sure, you can yell at Salarr that all thier weapons are crappy and overpriced...but you have to buy your weapons from them anyway. The same with Nenyuk. Why should they pay you money to store your cash in thier bank, when there's nobody else around that'll do it?

-Tlaloc
Tlaloc
Legend

This is something I've always made sure to never bring up...why, cause it is Zalanthas and I have always just been happy that Nenyuk does not -charge- interest to store the money... which would make far more sense, now, somebody delete this thread before Ness sees it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

How do the Nenyuk bankers recognize everyone who comes to their bank?

Does the clerk just take your word for it, or does he know everyone who comes their by face and name?

Also, you can put money in the bank in Tuluk and take it out in Allanak... does the correspondence really happen that well? Do they just use contact to find out how much money you've deposited up in Tuluk and let you withdraw that amount?

Just nitpicky little questions.

Well,

There are a lot of ways you can think about it. For instance, you could work off the local banking system. Though the person doesn't know your name, if you state it, they can look it up in their papers or books. Though, that makes for the possibility of stealing from accounts by use of names more likely.

The second method that comes to mind is the Swiss system. Use a numerical code with specific information on the last time you made a deposit/withdrew as security.

Though, if you think about it, to me, this is an OOC thing that makes the game easier to play given the heaviness of obsidian coins. Without banks, the rich would be prone to theft which is easily abusable by the code and their homes easily looted as well even though ICly, they're probably there along with their slew of guards but OOCly they had to log out. The common people probably wouldn't have a problem with that given how poor they are. It'd certainly help the raiders but still, for the players whom make a lot of cash and don't really have to pay for much, it can be a big problem.
ree as a bird and joyfully my heart
Soared up among the rigging, in and out;
Under a cloudless sky the ship rolled on
Like an angel drunk with brilliant sun.
                                       - Charles Baudelaire

QuoteThough the person doesn't know your name, if you state it, they can look it up in their papers or books. Though, that makes for the possibility of stealing from accounts by use of names more likely.

Are the papers and books legal, though? Or would they just give each person a symbol? Is that too much like literacy for the Templar's to tolerate, or not?

Also, is their a written number system on Zalanthas? Do merchants use it?

Maybe they are Nenyuk slaves?  Trusted with coins and as scribes.  :wink:
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Heh heh.

In the end, all of this is really easy to find out:

Track down a Nenyuki PC, in game, and simply ask them. You never know, they might actually tell you.

-Tlaloc
Tlaloc
Legend

Slow down there Betsy....

Since there is no way I can talk you guys into getting money from the bank, I don't see why they can give you some way to get someone elses money from it... Those people that die out in the woods you see, they arn't the most profitable of people, how come you can take there money. The bank dosen't do anything with it. Wouldn't it be a shame for that money to disapear in a record somewhere and never be seen again but in the bank that some 'slave' that knows what you look like is waiting and waiting to find you to remove that slot in the bank.

They can't just use that money to buy land, what happens if Someone goes on a long trip in the desert, they come back and the bank can't pay their money back? This is confusing to me ICly, I get into the game when I play, There has to be some way they can tell if you are dead or not?

Anther thing, acording to Krelin If they buy land, why don't other people see how much money comes into a banking buisness, there should be other banks?

I guess Zalanthans are Just not as smart as 'the average Bear'(I had to use that, my crazy teacher tells it to me all the time so I used it to see what it was like and scare you like she scares me. :twisted: )
like all of use are.

QuoteThey can't just use that money to buy land, what happens if Someone goes on a long trip in the desert, they come back and the bank can't pay their money back? This is confusing to me ICly, I get into the game when I play, There has to be some way they can tell if you are dead or not?

Anther thing, acording to Krelin If they buy land, why don't other people see how much money comes into a banking buisness, there should be other banks?

Alright. First... I'm guessing it's not going to be a big vault with individual places. Things are probably recorded and kept in a general thing or something except for large groups and families that might have personal vaults. If someone dies, the money wouldn't just be lost, but the information would just remain in a book someplace. Even a few thousand 'sid probably wouldn't be much to Nenyuk, and if someone goes on a long trip and comes back... They'd be able to pay the money becuase they have alot of it.

Also, Nenyuks have a complete monopoly. The Templarate allow them to do it. And even if the Templarate allows another to try doing a banking business, something larger then a personal lone shark or something, Nenyuk would probably stop them, or incorporate them to make money off of it. Thats my guess.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

QuoteI don't see why they can give you some way to get someone elses money from it... Those people that die out in the woods you see, they arn't the most profitable of people, how come you can take there money. The bank dosen't do anything with it. Wouldn't it be a shame for that money to disapear in a record somewhere and never be seen again but in the bank that some 'slave' that knows what you look like is waiting and waiting to find you to remove that slot in the bank.

Haha...I literaly started laughing when I read that one.

First off, I do not know what kind of chars Kyleite plays but A full half of mine have "died in the woods" and were the hunter types, mostly rangers, and they all died with from 3,000-20,000 sid in Nenyuk, and most of them in less then 5 ic years....I even got to thinking about the nenyuk clerk as any one of my chars goes to open an account, specialy in the harsh world of Zalanthas

The Nenyuk clerk looks up as the weather beaten leather clad man with a bow on his back walks in.

clerk: So, you want to open an account with us, well good.

The clerk takes out two bits of chitin, each with the same mark on them, in this case a tregil tail.

The clerk looks up holding one of the marked chitin pieces out to the weather beaten man.

clerk: Here is your mark, present it when you are wanting to deposit or withdraw....by the way, what do you do for a living?

weather beaten man: I'm a hunter by trade.

Clerk: Oh really...well, good hunting to you then.

The nenyuk clerk smiles greedily and rubs his hand together as the weather beaten man walks away.

clerk thinks: Ah, I will remember his face, hunters make good money and have such short lifespans

the clerk chuckles quietly to himself and returns to counting piles of coins.

Now, I also think, since they do not charge interest this is how Nenyuk makes it's money, probobly with a time limit on each sack of coins, if a sack goes untouched for say 5 years it is put in a diff vault, 15 years later if it is still not called on then the marker is put back into service and they keep the cash, and even if a person did come claiming it years later they have plenty of reserve to cover it...if they felt they really needed too.

Then buy/build houses, apartments and rent them out...which we know they already do...quite the profitable business if you think about it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

My theory is that whenever you leave coins with the banker your character is given a virtual ticket with a rune of some sort scrawled into it. The same rune is scrawled into the book along with the number of coins in the account, using whatever Nenyuk's chosen form of written number is.

The coins are then just dumped into a large vault and when you come to withdraw coins, the clerk checks the books and sends someone to collect the amount of coins requested while he/she updates the account book.

I'd imagine the storing of objects is handled the same way, you're given a ticket (non-virtual in this case) with a rune on it and another ticket with the same rune is tied to whatever you're having stored and then placed in a crate.

Of course, you could argue this isn't the case, since you can't loot or steal banking tickets (unless its an item ticket), but its just how I see things happening.

As to how they know when you're dead, I guess after enough time passes they just assume.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

From the Help Read
QuotePlease note that literacy is illegal or unknown for most people on the face of Zalanthas. While nobles and templars are trained in the arts of reading and writing and the Merchant Houses pass along a knowledge of how to write the trade-ciphers associated with Cavilish to their agents and merchants, it is considered treason for common citizens to possess such knowledge within the walls of Allanak.

Has it not occured that Nenyuk might just read and write everything down.  While yes, it is illegal for most citizens, it is not illegal for nobles and upper merchants (note: most of these upper merchants are -not- PCs).  It is probably very legal for Nenyuk to write down anything they need, what language it is done doesn't really matter, it's probably some combination of Sirihish and Old Tatlum.  Using Sirihish for the names and general notes and Old Tatlum for Accounting and Numerics.  These languages would have been combined for Nenyuki use for so long that most Nenyuki probably wouldn't even realize it and think it their own language (call it Nenyuki Shorthand).

NOTE: The above paragraph reflects my own ideas, derived from various documentation available to the public, and is in no way official.  However, it does seem logical (at least to me).

~Drunken Salarr, who loves thinking about Zalanthan history
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Or, DrunkenSalarr, it could just be Cavilish, heh.

The best way to find out the answer to this question, how do the Nenyuki keep records is very simple.  Ask a Nenyuki.
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

Quote from: "Shinigami"Or, DrunkenSalarr, it could just be Cavilish, heh.

I thought about this. Cavilish is derived mostly from Bendune with Sirihish grammer (for the most part). I couldn't see Bendune as have strong mathmatics concepts.  Old Tatlum or just Tatlum (the documentation available doesn't really distinguish a difference) was the language of scholars and likely have very advanced mathmatics.  Those Math-savy scholars most like formed the foundation of House Nenyuk.

NOTE: Once again, the above paragraph reflects my own ideas, derived from various documentation available to the public, and is in no way official. However, it does seem logical (at least to me).

But yes, the most sure way to find out would be to ask a Nenyuki (if you could get them to tell you).

~Drunken Salarr.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Actually, isn't Cavilish descended from the tongues of dune traders?  So while only sorcerors and their templars were speaking tatlum, the merchanting in the world was being done in Cavilish.  Somehow I don't think that Sorceror-Kings and Templars would be using their uber-secret forgotten language for beancounting.

Lord Templar Hard Nose says, in tatlum:
"Umm, one... three... seven... just kill them all."