Permatame

Started by FantasyWriter, July 27, 2008, 08:24:08 PM

I thought I read somewhere along time ago that in order to permatame a wild-caught mount a ranger must quit out on them in the wild.  that has always worked for me, but before I pass on this information to someone who asked about it, I wanted to make sure. I haven't been able to find the post that I thought I read it from.

Thanks,

FW
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

This does not work.

This has never worked.

Anyone who says it works is delusional.

If your tamed animal is not stored in a stable when the mud crashes, it will revert to wild status no matter how many times you've stored it, quit out on it, or re-tamed it.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on July 27, 2008, 09:36:48 PM
This does not work.

This has never worked.

Anyone who says it works is delusional.

If your tamed animal is not stored in a stable when the mud crashes, it will revert to wild status no matter how many times you've stored it, quit out on it, or re-tamed it.

What about certain "open" stables where the mounts are essentially just left in a certain room?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I don't know for sure how it works..but I've always heard it was you quit out while -hitched- to it..(not just riding - actually hitched).

If you store a tamed, but not "permatamed" animal in the stables, the stablemaster will likely have something to say about it when you try to get it out of the stable.

So I'm inclined to believe you have to tame it, hitch it, quit out with it, return with it, and THEN stable it in a coded "take this ticket for 20 sids" stable....

Though, I really don't know for sure.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 27, 2008, 09:59:53 PM
What about certain "open" stables where the mounts are essentially just left in a certain room?
It will still be feral and, often hilariously, eat the next person who tries to mount it.

<hint: use hitch first to avoid an inix surprise>

Quote from: Grey Area on July 27, 2008, 11:02:31 PM
It will still be feral and, often hilariously, eat the next person who tries to mount it.

<hint: use hitch first to avoid an inix surprise>

Or greet it using the appropriate command...
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 27, 2008, 10:38:15 PM
I don't know for sure how it works..but I've always heard it was you quit out while -hitched- to it..(not just riding - actually hitched).

If you store a tamed, but not "permatamed" animal in the stables, the stablemaster will likely have something to say about it when you try to get it out of the stable.

So I'm inclined to believe you have to tame it, hitch it, quit out with it, return with it, and THEN stable it in a coded "take this ticket for 20 sids" stable....

I have been told by a staff member that there is no way to permanently tame an animal and it is not a bug.

What this means? I don't know. Maybe having your faithful inix that's ridden under you eighty times if you've kept it stored in a city stable suddenly freak out and bite you in the face is supposed to be a nifty game feature.

Tame a mount, stable it, and wait for the mud to crash. Problem solved.

Quote from: Forest Junkie on July 28, 2008, 01:43:09 AM
Tame a mount, stable it, and wait for the mud to crash. Problem solved.

No, sadly. :[

What I meant was, if the game reboots/crashes at all and your mount is anywhere but stored in a stable in ticket form, it will be wild again. No matter how many times you've stored it, how many times the game's gone down while it's stored, how many times you quit out on it or hitched to it.

Quote from: Fathi on July 28, 2008, 01:39:55 AM

I have been told by a staff member that there is no way to permanently tame an animal and it is not a bug.

Is there a reason for this (very difficult code wise, etc), or has it just never been dealt with?
It seems VERY unrealistic that one could not train an animal for ANY length of time and be able to sell/give said animal to a friend without worrying about it killing said friend.
If it is not feasible to do it codely, there could be a wild/tame toggle on them switchable by an IMM (after appropriate logs have been submitted) OR there could simply be two different versions of the mount, with a subtle difference in the s-desc.  Again swappable through the request tool or wishing.

I don't complain very often, but it is just not logical not to be able to permatame mounts.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 28, 2008, 02:02:06 AM

I don't complain very often, but it is just not logical not to be able to permatame mounts.

I do usually quit out on my wild mounts or put them in the coded stables.  But the problem is what is something like this happens:

I have to quit out, and I am inside the walls. I have to leave now, or just not thinking... or even we all dismounted in the clan stables, and I quit out in another room, forgetting that my "OOC: wild mount" was not "OOC: properly stored"... newbe merchant Amos walks in and accidentally attempts to mount the wrong inix. Two hits later, he's dead because of a completely OOC problem.  Tek forbid that there is more than one wild mount when this happens. STAMPEDE!
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 28, 2008, 02:10:29 AM

I do usually quit out on my wild mounts or put them in the coded stables.  But the problem is what is something like this happens:

I have to quit out, and I am inside the walls. I have to leave now, or just not thinking... or even we all dismounted in the clan stables, and I quit out in another room, forgetting that my "OOC: wild mount" was not "OOC: properly stored"... newbe merchant Amos walks in and accidentally attempts to mount the wrong inix. Two hits later, he's dead because of a completely OOC problem.  Tek forbid that there is more than one wild mount when this happens. STAMPEDE!

I once had no less than six animals go bugshit crazy on my ranger at once due to this.

Two answers I have for that:

1. Like Myrdryn said - don't leave wild animals in open stables (wild, meaning, not born and raised specifically by people for the purpose of selling).

2. New players should be instructed OOCly, immediately upon being hired in a job that requires them to use an open stable, that they must learn, embrace, and utilize this quick, ICly logical, painless process:

keyword, pack, hitch, mount, title. In that order. ICly, this makes sense. ICly, you're wandering into an open corral where animals of each species look alike. You know it isn't any of the donkeys..since you have a horse. Then you look at which horse has your pack on it. Then you try to bring it closer to you. Then you try to climb it. Then you pat its pretty head and call it by name.  It takes 28 RL days for a practice to become a habit. Hopefully your characters won't die before that :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

If it is not feasible to do it codely, there could be a wild/tame toggle on them switchable by an IMM (after appropriate logs have been submitted) OR there could simply be two different versions of the mount, with a subtle difference in the s-desc.  Again swappable through the request tool or wishing.

You are riding a used burned smelly sweat-stained tamed glossy black inix.  Seems like it would be doable, since other sorts of attributes seem to get serialized...a burned brown military aba stays burned forever (or possibly 'til laundered).

I love Lizzie's method and explanation, though.  And it makes me think that, ideally, taming mounts would not be an all-or-nothing proposition.  A slightly-tamed mount might respond only to those who have ridden it before, while mounts that have been ridden a lot might take any rider.  Give wild-born critters a coded bonus, and the popularity of half-busted broncs will swell.

There doesn't seem to be any guarantee presently for a tamed mount to stay tamed permanently.  Renting it in a stable does appear to be some sort of safeguard.
At present it does not appear to have been coded that way on purpose (a mount becoming untamed randomly seems appropriate; a mount becoming untamed due to a reboot or crash does not seem appropriate).

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I rode a beast into a city once, thinking I had tamed it because I hitched/mounted it.

I was wrong.

Quote from: Ammut on July 28, 2008, 02:17:29 PM
I rode a beast into a city once, thinking I had tamed it because I hitched/mounted it.

I was wrong.

Yeah. I'll never app the gargantuan, quadrupedal mantis again.

Your mount may attempt to eat a Tor Warlord in a warzone and then be summarily executed, if you leave it in an open stable.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on July 28, 2008, 05:07:43 PM
Your mount may attempt to eat a Tor Warlord in a warzone and then be summarily executed, if you leave it in an open stable.

That's all right. I don't want no inix that cain't eat a Torlord if'n he puts his mind to it.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 28, 2008, 05:10:42 PM
Quote from: Bogre on July 28, 2008, 05:07:43 PM
That's all right. I don't want no inix that cain't eat a Torlord if'n he puts his mind to it.
You probably don't want a inix right now, then.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I understand the imms think this is how it should work. Why? It seems like a handy OOC assassination tool...

A pack of tamed(?) gwoshis that combine to form Voltron on your hapless clannies?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

or selling a lovely new inix to a 'friend"

Quote from: Nyr on July 28, 2008, 08:29:13 AM
At present it does not appear to have been coded that way on purpose (a mount becoming untamed randomly seems appropriate; a mount becoming untamed due to a reboot or crash does not seem appropriate).

Highlighting added.  I don't think the staff are saying that this is intentional or "how it should work," just that it's the way things are.

I really can't imagine--wait, yes, I can:
> think (malicious glee) Lord Fancypants'll have a rough ride of it once I put these nettles under ol' Ribbons' saddle!
> hem Sneaking over to ~inix, @ tucks a double handful of thorny weeds beneath ^inix saddle.
> scribble sand
You begin drawing in the sand.
> U;U;D;D;W;E;W;E;es;ep;point allanak
> ~
Connection lost.