When do I become a Citizen?

Started by Rairen, July 22, 2008, 05:52:50 PM

If a child has foreign parents, which City-State do they claim citizenship with? 

I'm thinking more of Tuluk, as there are visible marks of citizenship.  Two Allanaki refugees settle in the north and scrape out a living.  They have a baby.  Is the child Tuluki?

In America, the answer would be yes.  In Zalanthas, would the parents have the right to refuse citizenship?  Would Tuluk rather not claim the child?  (Eww... dirty southern genes... eww...)  Is there a social class difference?  (For instance, the child of a Great House vs. a normal, grubby laborer.)

Enjoy.  ;)

Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

As with everything, the law pretty much is what your friendly local Templar says it is.

That being said, I doubt you'd have much trouble finding someone to tattoo up your whelp, if you so desired...even if you -are- a southerner.  You might just have to pay more...or it might be -subtly- different.

Haha, get it?  Subtle.  Like Tuluk.

Right.

::)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

July 22, 2008, 07:48:35 PM #2 Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:51:37 PM by ale six
To become an Allanaki citizen you must pass a citizenship test. This includes knowledge of farting, scratching your privates in public, cursing, talkin' like you ain' no fancy cultured northie, being Brutal, Killing Things, loving arena matches, hating bards, swilling ale, vomiting, brawling, having dirty raunchy sex with half-elven whores (and then beating them), and knowing you bow (do not nod! so much different!!) to the templars of Tektolnes.

To become a Tuluki citizen you must do the opposite of all these things. You cannot fart, scratch yourself, kill things, hate bards, swill ale, vomit, brawl, or have dirty raunchy sex with half-elven whores because these things are Not Subtle. In fact you can't even hate the half-elves because Tuluk Is A More Accepting Society And Racism Is Not Subtle. Also remember to nod (do not bow! so much different!!) to the templars of Tektolnes Muk Utep. Also, you must verifiably love bunnies and hug trees.

:)

Quote from: ale six on July 22, 2008, 07:48:35 PM
To become an Allanaki citizen you must pass a citizenship test. This includes knowledge of farting, scratching your privates in public, cursing, talkin' like you ain' no fancy cultured northie, being Brutal, Killing Things, loving arena matches, hating bards, swilling ale, vomiting, brawling, having dirty raunchy sex with half-elven whores (and then beating them), and knowing you bow (do not nod! so much different!!) to the templars of Tektolnes.

To become a Tuluki citizen you must do the opposite of all these things. You cannot fart, scratch yourself, kill things, hate bards, swill ale, vomit, brawl, or have dirty raunchy sex with half-elven whores because these things are Not Subtle. In fact you can't even hate the half-elves because Tuluk Is A More Accepting Society And Racism Is Not Subtle. Also remember to nod (do not bow! so much different!!) to the templars of Tektolnes Muk Utep. Also, you must verifiably love bunnies and hug trees.

:)

Pointing in the direction of the North Road, the tall, muscular man exclaims, in southern-accented sirihish:
     "We WANT a fence! We NEED a fence!"
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

As opposed to the south where everyone is a magicker or loves one.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Mood on July 22, 2008, 09:08:16 PM

Pointing in the direction of the North Road, the tall, muscular man exclaims, in southern-accented sirihish:
     "We WANT a fence! We NEED a fence!"

That's the proper Tuluki way: get the southerners to do the stuff you don't want to without saying a word. ;)

Tsk.  Now, stop derailing my thread.  This has a grave impact on my boring-meeting sanity, as these are the questions I ponder.
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

July 22, 2008, 10:19:55 PM #6 Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:44:02 PM by Mood
edit- duh.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Synthesis on July 22, 2008, 06:43:56 PM
As with everything, the law pretty much is what your friendly local Templar says it is.

That being said, I doubt you'd have much trouble finding someone to tattoo up your whelp, if you so desired...even if you -are- a southerner.  You might just have to pay more...or it might be -subtly- different.

This is an excellent answer to the OP's question, IMO.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Serious reply, because Rairen is awesome and I <3 her:

I doubt citizenship laws are quite as strictly defined as they are in the real world. If you're born in America you are American, but Zalanthans don't care where you were born, and they most certainly don't keep paperwork or birth certificates to prove it.

I don't think the Tuluki templarate cares about claiming every child born in its borders or not. The tattoos are a mark of citizenship, but I don't see them being required for every newborn baby. It's just, if you aren't inked, you were never declared a citizen and won't be treated like one.

I think whether a child is raised as a citizen would depend largely on the parents, or their family's wishes in the case of a more established House.

And of course, if the templarate ever decides to make a child a citizen for whatever reason, I don't think the parents have much right to refuse.

If a child was born in Allanak or lived there from an early age, he's probably considered a citizen.

That's the word I got from staff at one point.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.