Aliases/Nicknames

Started by Forest Junkie, July 19, 2008, 03:10:01 PM

Quote from: Desertman on July 21, 2008, 01:47:15 PM
Quote from: a strange shadow on July 21, 2008, 01:43:57 PM
Quote from: Forest Junkie on writing other PCsAll I'd get were ways from people saying "lolz why didn't you just way me ding dong?"

Pretty much, yup.

Literacy is so underused.

Thats because it is obsolete.

The Way makes literacy just about as obsolete as the radio does.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on July 21, 2008, 01:57:24 PM
Quote from: Forest Junkie on writing other PCsAll I'd get were ways from people saying "lolz why didn't you just way me ding dong?"

Pretty much, yup.

If a powerful sorcerer could devise a Way repeater with a long time delay...

...we could, in point of fact, have psionic computers.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Tisiphone on July 21, 2008, 01:57:24 PM

Pretty much, yup.

I was thinking more like the telephone/computer with instant messenger.

Do you know how long it has been since I sat down and wrote out an actual hand written message to someone....Years and years and years.

I use the phone, or I use instant messenger if I dont have thier phone number.

(Instant messenger is technically literacy, but its instant gratification and isnt comparable to the write a letter and wait a few days for it to be delivered method of Zalanthan writing)

My point is...The Way, is definantly faster and more convenient than using hand written letters, and thus, it makes hand written letters obsolete.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Disagree, especially with the comparison to real life.

Letter writing is, and will always be, the preferred method of non-urgent communication for letter writers. I still exchange hand-written letters to my family, and I will -always- prefer a hand-written post card from a relative traveling to another country, over an IM from their laptop saying "WISH U R HEAR LOL!!!!!"

In the game, there are some pretty awesome reasons for writing to -not- be obsolete. And reasons why the way -cannot- replace literacy in the game, does not replace it, and will not replace it in the current version.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 21, 2008, 04:22:51 PM

Letter writing is, and will always be, the preferred method of non-urgent communication for letter writers. I still exchange hand-written letters to my family, and I will -always- prefer a hand-written post card from a relative traveling to another country, over an IM from their laptop saying "WISH U R HEAR LOL!!!!!"

In the game, there are some pretty awesome reasons for writing to -not- be obsolete. And reasons why the way -cannot- replace literacy in the game, does not replace it, and will not replace it in the current version.

Not to mention writing lists, notes to yourself, journals, and things like that which might keep track of progress you've made in a certain area and help you remember stuff...  which in turn could possibly be found by someone else later, offering more possibilities than if you just used the Way and nothing else.

Letter writing is, and will always be, the preferred method of non-urgent communication for letter writers.

I agree with that.

But thats just like saying...

Left hand masturbation is, and will always be, the preferred method of masturbating for left hand masturbators.

Get laid, it makes left hand masturbation, obsolete.

Or...

Amputees who hop on thier right leg, prefer to hop on thier right leg, because they lack a left leg.

Get a wheelchair, it makes hopping on your right leg, obsolete.

See what I mean?

Saying..."Someone prefers to do something this way, so they do it this way." Doesnt mean that thier "preferred" method, is any less obsolete, they just prefer to use an obsolete method.

I think Desertman doesn't get it, and explaining ourselves would make this conversation too IC.

Quote from: a strange shadow on July 21, 2008, 04:54:06 PM
I think Desertman doesn't get it, and explaining ourselves would make this conversation too IC.

I guess not.

But cut me some slack, I'm only working with what I have here.

If there is some secret way to make writing a letter faster and more convenient than typing...

contact joe

psi joe It was the TROLLS that did it! Tell the templars!

Then I guess I just have never seen that aspect of writing.

Quote from: Desertman on July 21, 2008, 04:49:52 PM

Letter writing is, and will always be, the preferred method of non-urgent communication for letter writers.

Amputees who hop on thier right leg, prefer to hop on thier right leg, because they lack a left leg.

See what I mean?

Saying..."Someone prefers to do something this way, so they do it this way." Doesnt mean that thier "preferred" method, is any less obsolete, they just prefer to use an obsolete method.

Hehe...
Not exactly.. because if the amputee had a left leg then they would use it.  And if you drive around in your car that doesn't mean that you don't walk once in a while - whether you have to in certain situations or just feel like it.  

So if you can use the way you still might want to write a letter because you can stop and think about what you are going to say or because you are writing something down that you might forget later or whatever.  There's lots of reasons you still might do things that might be considered "obsolete" in certain ways.   If that makes any sense.  ;)

Quote from: a strange shadow on July 21, 2008, 04:54:06 PM

Well yes, I suppose your Way could get "spied on" if thats what you mean.

And so letter writing would thus be better than sending a Way in that respect.

Quote from: Sokotra on July 21, 2008, 04:59:17 PM
Quote from: Desertman on July 21, 2008, 04:49:52 PM

See what I mean?

Hehe...
Not exactly.. because if the amputee had a left leg then they would use it.  And if you drive around in your car that doesn't mean that you don't walk once in a while - whether you have to in certain situations or just feel like it.  

So if you can use the way you still might want to write a letter because you can stop and think about what you are going to say or because you are writing something down that you might forget later or whatever.  There's lots of reasons you still might do things that might be considered "obsolete" in certain ways.   If that makes any sense.  ;)

I am not argueing that writing doesnt have its uses, I know it does.

I just want to see it used MORE, and for less "sneaky" or "special" things.

I want to see it used to relay more mundane style messages, instead of just insta-waying everything that isnt too "ultra secret" to risk a psion catching.

Edited to Add:

I dont think that is too IC, to assume a psion might be able to hear you Way message.

I have never played a psion personally, thats just my assumption. It seems to me that they would be able to.

Regarding real life..

...You don't need to know someone's nickname, truename, or even their short description to interact with someone.  It's just, "Hey Buddy."  You can punch them, steal from them, all without knowing anything about them.  However, in this game, we need a keyword to interact with someone, in a full sense.  The problem arises when you want to try and be untargetable within the game.  You want to be invisible.  You want to be able to steal something, or kill someone, and get out and survive.

The way I play this game, my characters have about 3-5 nicknames.  I usually give one 'fake' name to someone I first meet, and then nickname #4 when I've interacted with them even more.  When is that, 'even more', situation?

Usually it's after I've seen you around five times, and when I want to be able to be contacted by you.  I usually decide when that happens.  The problem really arises when you're not given nickname #4 after playing with someone closely for about a week.  At that point, I would expect the other player would be nice enough to give me a unique keyword of some sort so that I can interact with you fully, and be able to target you specifically in a crowded room.

So, I suggest to fellow players, that if you're interacting with someone for over a week of real life time, and you still don't have a keyword to target them with, to ask them OOCly to either addkeyword or break the IC/OOC boundaries and say, "Hey, do you have a better name I can use for you?  I know muscular is not your nickname."  I'm sure after playing with them for over a week, your 'friendship' that you've developed should be able to produce a unique keyword for yourself.

Trust mansa.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one