Hunters Unite!

Started by Desert Wanderer, May 05, 2003, 08:29:32 AM

Seriously though, was pulling my bow out of my quiver again and started thinking...  Wouldn't it be more realistic it I could strap my bow over my shoulder, rather then craming in into a pack or quiver?  I know I can strap it across the back, but then I am forced to store things like water and bulky items in places they would inapproprate for my character.  

Any chance we could get bows flagged with the wear_shoulder attrib?  Just a thought, I look forward to hearing the staffs and others opinion on this.

-DW

I think this would fall under the more wear locations on the back discussion. I'd like to see it too.

There's already another post about this in the Code forum.  See said post.  ;)

P.S.  All for it... just one back-sheathable slot would be great (different form the back-slot).
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

Ah, just finished reading that discussion.  I like the idea of that, but it would require a lot of code changes.  I'm just asking that bows have wear_shoulder added.  That it.. nothing complicated.. just add that tiny little flag.  

-DW

Quote from: "help [bwear_locations[/b]"]Shoulder:  The shoulder wflag is regarded as being something balanced atop the shoulder.  Like an epaulette.  Or a parrot.  It is not appropriate for a pack to be flagged wear_shoulder,  because you are not balancing it atop your shoulder.  Two possible.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

In my opinion it makes perfect sense to put a bow inside your quiver. HEAR ME OUT! When you're not using your bow you remove the string to prolong its life, as well as the life of your bow. You wrap the bowstring around the bow and tada, it slides into your quiver. Quiver isn't big enough? Play it off like you're strapping it to the outside. There's no need for another back wear spot, if you want to wear your bow on you back just strap your pack to a kank or live without.

Going along with unstringing the bow and such if it was unstrung, then no reason you can't strap it to your backpack, use it as a walking stick/staff (in the case of longbows) slide it between you backpack and your back or any number of other things you cannot do with it...Hhhmm, I would love if you could unstring longbows and use them as staves...anyway, No, instead you have to do things that look funny like stick a six foot bow into a 2-3 foot quiver/backpack/cape...I stick my Halberd inside my backpack, not because I want too, no other choice, and that is even sillier looking then the bow...Um excuse me, just ignore that I just stuck a 7' pole with a big heavy blade attached to it in my backpack, yes yes, I know my char is only 6' tall so the backpack is only maybe 3', yes I know it dissapeared from view...um see, it's a pocket universe...yea, No, better a backpack of holding, yup, got two giants and a buick in there too.

AC mentioned the many other container items you can get to carry a load,  I got to thinking about that and except for a merchant or a halfgiant, I got some pretty silly pictures in my head, Me, I really want to carry less and have it not look silly, like have a bow or sword on back and maybe a small scout style pack next to it. or the quiver instead, with a couple fruits and some arrows, something less jarring then the longbow/staff/halbard/bastard sword/greatsword in the bag/backpack/quiver or worse, in inventory Oh well...hold on, I have to pull this greataxe out of my quivercape of holding.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteUm excuse me, just ignore that I just stuck a 7' pole with a big heavy blade attached to it in my backpack, yes yes, I know my char is only 6' tall so the backpack is only maybe 3', yes I know it dissapeared from view...um see, it's a pocket universe...yea, No, better a backpack of holding, yup, got two giants and a buick in there too.

This can RP'd around easily. A little emote about unslinging it from the side of, behind, near, next to, etc., the pack does the trick with any object that shouldn't fit inside. Granted it's not a code salution, but it's an OK RP one.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

Sure it can be RP'd around, but it is still rather jarring and easily fixed....shrug, besides, no real way to RP it being there when somebody looks at you. There are RP ways around pretty much everything, some things would be just to hard to code with too small of a return, so you just work around it, but somethings would be very easy to put in, certainly no harder then the dirt code, which is in place basicly so that things look right, have the right feel, which is what this extra slot would do, not really making it so you carry more, you are going to carry it, or not, anyway, just makes it -look/feel- right.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Bows will not be given the shoulder wflag, sorry, no.

You mean I can't balance a 5 foot bow on top of my shoulder?  Aww.   :wink:

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins