Follow

Started by dustbunny, July 07, 2008, 11:01:21 PM

Just curious if anyone else sees a flaw in the follow code...

If you were previously following someone, walked out of the room, and came back...You're still following the person. Honestly I think you shouldn't be, since you just walked out on your own.

Any thoughts?
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." - Albert Einstein

Quote from: dustbunny on July 07, 2008, 11:01:21 PM

If you were previously following someone, walked out of the room, and came back...You're still following the person. Honestly I think you shouldn't be, since you just walked out on your own.

Any thoughts?

It's a playability issue.  Follow means 'when I see this person, and they move, follow them'  It doesn't matter how long ago you did it (within yours and their logins and the server's uptime), you will always follow them when you see them. 

It's like a server-side trigger that we do for you instead of making you type the directions when you see your target/friend/leader move.

I don't consider that a bug, if anything it's a feature.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on July 07, 2008, 11:10:09 PM

Any thoughts?

It's a playability issue.  Follow means 'when I see this person, and they move, follow them'  It doesn't matter how long ago you did it (within yours and their logins and the server's uptime), you will always follow them when you see them. 

It's like a server-side trigger that we do for you instead of making you type the directions when you see your target/friend/leader move.

I agree, it just may take newer players some time to get use to.

I like it how it is because there are times when you have to leave the room temporarily and come back and continue following the person.  Other examples may include resting while the leader leaves the room momentarily or if you are learning to ride a mount and you keep getting left behind then you don't have to keep typing "follow <person>" every time you catch up.

So, for those newer players... you just have to remember to type "follow self" to stop following, if need be... which is much easier than typing "follow <person>" over and over again on those certain occasions.

Quote from: Sokotra on July 07, 2008, 11:18:22 PM
... or if you are learning to ride a mount and you keep getting left behind then you don't have to keep typing "follow <person>" every time you catch up.

Please don't make me re-follow every time this happens.  I like it how it is, even if it means I occasionally get drug around by someone a room or two, after they mean to drop me off somewhere, or left a while ago.
That's the kind of wooley-headed liberal thinking that leads to being eaten.

Quote from: Morgenes on July 07, 2008, 11:10:09 PM

Any thoughts?

I didn't look at it from that perspective...but now that I do, it makes sense. Thanks.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." - Albert Einstein

Just thought I would add the same thing applies to guard...
A horde of Inix turn and stampede straight at you....KRATH!

Quote from: Inix77 on July 08, 2008, 07:18:51 AM
Just thought I would add the same thing applies to guard...

And watch.

They're all a bit annoying when you forget about them, but I don't have a better idea. :)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.