Imbedded help topics

Started by Rachel, July 05, 2008, 08:46:49 PM

I dont know if this is even possible. Those who are smarter than me, which probably includes most of you, could tell me if it is or isnt. But I have thought it would be neat if you could right click on text that comes up where the text you read does as you are playing. You could right click on a term you dont know and if you know it you can see more info about it. Example:

A large burly man says in sirish(whatever):
"Hey that Red Templar is a powerful guy who you dont want to cross"

Then you can right click on the words Red Templar and get something that pops up and says

Red Templars
These are extremely powerful law-enforcer meanies that walk the streets of Allanak and blah blah blah.

So the idea is kind of like the internet is, the blue links being terms you can get more information on at  your fingertips. That was new people wouldnt feel like they are clueless when they play and they dont know a term they should know.

You can do that client-side.

I highly doubt it's possible because of how MUDs work, for it to be done server-side.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on July 05, 2008, 08:59:48 PM
You can do that client-side.

I highly doubt it's possible because of how MUDs work, for it to be done server-side.
Seconded.

Of course if you knew enough to do it client side, it would be pointless, except maybe as something to give to new players.

Would also be very difficult for the game to pick up on alot of those words.  Would also be very cumbersome because 1. it would pick up stuff it isn't supposed to and 2. people wouldn't like to see all that random color splashed around their screen (I think).

Oh, also, I started work on (but have been too busy to add much since start) a big help file sorta thing that has a huge listing of important words that characters would likely know, but players may not. (templar for example has its own section describing the north and south templars and such.)
Food for thought:
Every time someone uses the phrase 'food for thought' a penguin turns to cannibalism (two if used in a pun about actual food)