Re: Encumbrance Change

Started by Bebop, July 03, 2008, 07:23:32 PM

I have already noticed severe encumbrance changes in the past regarding combat before this new code, I can only imagine how much worse it will be.  Likewise will armor be made lighter or be more effective?  For those characters that would like to wear or need to wear heavy armors all I see this doing is negating the need to even wear the armor if it is just going to make you lose.

Warriors seem to constantly be taking hits, they already do not have many skills and I see code constantly adding negatives to fighting capabilities.  Kicks can be blocked now, their skills leech off their stamina, and now wearing armor will weigh them down in the only thing they're particularly good at - combat.  It seems to negate entirely the former appeal in having your warrior be more likely to focus on good armors that are typically somewhat weighty.

Not to mention I won't go into to much IC info, but what about the additional weight of projectiles?

Before where I would think a warrior or fighter capable of armoring themselves at an advantage, now I can seem the advantage totally going to the newb kid in his sandcloths.  :S

I haven't messed around with it much but I haven't been so keen on the constant nerfing of everything combat-related. All I see that will accomplish is taking away the fun of playing such roles and steering players away from them into non-combat roles so they can have fun with out constantly dealing with negative coded effects from this or that. A few negatively coded effects are fine...when it seems like that is -all- that is being done it starts to wear on folks.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I for one love the changes.
Combat used to be boring as hell, to me.
Run into the room, wait a little, kill guy, emote, emote, read the GDB, emote, post, emote.
Now there is more to it, just because a guy is AI strong, and I am Good strong, I can wear him down, block his kicks with my shield, run away, get him to chase, wear him down, shoot him with an arrow or two.

Combat can't be fixed overnight, but it is getting better and better, more realistic, and more fun to me, not just kill gith and read the GDB. It is more involving now. I can have fun as a sole combat character with no crafting skills, and I love crafting. Believe me you, it is getting better, I can see it.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I like the changes overall, but I think warriros should be given more of an edge. This could be done with some fairly simple fixes, I think.
Combat skills drains stamina? Okay. But when people with 'guild-warrior' use them, they drain even less.
People can get stunned in combat? Okay. But maybe warriors get stunned less, and have a change of stunning others more? Or maybe they can even gain and develop a skill that increases their chances of stunning.
Encumbrance makes you vulnerable? Okay. But maybe people that are guild warrior will get some sort of encumbrance bonus.
I think they're good changes on the realism front, but I wouldn't be at all opposed to giving warriors some perks.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I'm of the opinion that warriors aren't really in need of anymore bonuses.  With consistent training, they quickly outstrip everything else in raw combat.  Then there's the other skills they get.  Warriors really don't need kick when they already put out so much damage.

Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

In reply to Bebop, I think a warrior who is kickass and wears only sandcloth -should- have an upper hand on a buff, silt-horror clad dude wielding a swing-axe made of hellfire. Its a fuckin' desert man.

It's really hot.

You would catch me naked before you caught me wearing a fucking suit of full on silt-horror. If it were real, and I could own a full suit. In real life?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Comments about the code change go here:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,31466.0.html

New ideas about code changes go in the Code forum.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.