Tell your first character's story...

Started by NoteworthyFellow, July 03, 2008, 11:24:45 AM

The situation probably made more sense in context.

From the snippet we have, a noble hiring and pampering a mutant southerner is a bit out there. That's the beauty of Armageddon though, sometimes very improbable situations naturally present themselves due to the twists the story takes,. They make more sense if you have the whole story, especially if it's a long-running story with a lot of twists and turns.

One reason I try not to assume, though it amuses me when folks come out of chargen as Mary Sues. You don't need to - the game will force it on you if you live long enough.

I don't know if being brainraped can really be called being "pampered."

Good job at picking out the one word in my post that could be argued with and completely disregarding the rest of it.

Quote from: Delirium on August 28, 2015, 02:45:30 PM

From the snippet we have, a noble hiring and pampering a mutant southerner is a bit out there. That's the beauty of Armageddon though, sometimes very improbable situations naturally present themselves due to the twists the story takes,. They make more sense if you have the whole story, especially if it's a long-running story with a lot of twists and turns.

One reason I try not to assume, though it amuses me when folks come out of chargen as Mary Sues. You don't need to - the game will force it on you if you live long enough.

Because of mindbending, the only people who could have known he was southern or a breed, would be a pisonicist.  Even the PC didn't know he was from Allanak.  A good point, not to immediately assume "lol bad roleplay" just because you externally criticize alignment with documentation.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Did he have Tuluki inks? That's usually a dead give away.  :D
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Tetra on August 28, 2015, 03:03:48 PM
Quote from: Delirium on August 28, 2015, 02:45:30 PM

Because of mindbending, the only people who could have known he was southern or a breed, would be a pisonicist.  Even the PC didn't know he was from Allanak.  A good point, not to immediately assume "lol bad roleplay" just because you externally criticize alignment with documentation.

I'm glad it was fun. Story even better with all the details.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Is Friday on August 28, 2015, 03:09:35 PM
Did he have Tuluki inks? That's usually a dead give away.  :D
He did.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Sort of off topic but I noticed in the past people tried to police some of my characters for allegedly not following the docs.  Some of my best characters(and the ones that gave me karma) were criticized for this.  If staff don't have a problem with how I played, you probably shouldn't.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Quote from: Tetra on August 28, 2015, 04:12:12 PM
Sort of off topic but I noticed in the past people tried to police some of my characters for allegedly not following the docs.  Some of my best characters(and the ones that gave me karma) were criticized for this.  If staff don't have a problem with how I played, you probably shouldn't.

If they were IC'ly trying to "police" you, then that isn't a problem. Their character had an issue with what your character was doing.

If they actually broke character and OOC'ed you, then you might want to file a player complaint.

Also, I did know your horny mutant and found them entertaining. Good job on that PC.  :)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I'm sorry you feel criticized.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

August 28, 2015, 04:23:13 PM #261 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:27:15 PM by Tetra
Quote from: Desertman on August 28, 2015, 04:13:44 PM
Quote from: Tetra on August 28, 2015, 04:12:12 PM

If they were IC'ly trying to "police" you, then that isn't a problem. Their character had an issue with what your character was doing.

If they actually broke character and OOC'ed you, then you might want to file a player complaint.

Also, I did know your horny mutant and found them entertaining. Good job on that PC.  :)

Thanks!  It was a blast.

It was OOCly disclosed to me outside of the game that certain people had issues.  But that is...yeah.  It'll have to wait until next year to talk about.

Quote from: Barzalene on August 28, 2015, 04:19:54 PM
I'm sorry you feel criticized.

No worries, I wasn't pointing that to you actually.  I didn't feel criticized for this PC, more the ones I played later on.  Pretty much any character I played that lived longer than a month was a total oddball with a justified backstory.
- Rumi

You can have fun with a role and think it was the best thing since sliced bread, and still have room to improve. No need to get defensive.

I've been playing for 12+ years and still have room to improve.

One of my first characters had violet eyes and was the most stereotypical Mary Sue ever. Did I have a blast? Yes. Am I a little embarrassed now? Well... yes.

It's Armageddon. Stop taking things personally, don't give a shit about others if you're having fun, arrange the bodies of your enemies.

I don't give a shit.  I'm saying you shouldn't either.
- Rumi

August 28, 2015, 04:56:14 PM #265 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:05:26 PM by Dresan
I think I've told this story before, not sure in this thread though.

My first character was a burgalar who took the advice of this forum, and joined the byn at the time.

The northern byn compound was not surprisingly empty and i took my newbie character outside the compound to hopefully find one person to RP. I wandered around until I found the firestorm tavern and then right there sitting on their fucking ass, having a good chat with a bunch of people was the byn sergeant, who i had never met before, I was hired by someone else. They see me and my noob four line desc and take me back to the barracks, and then proceed to chase me around trying to kill me because I wasn't allowed to leave the barracks without Permission. Instead I was to stay locked up in the barracks and follow a shedule.

Truely wonderful introduction to just about everything I still hate about this game even to this date rolled into a neat little package, right down to the trolls who kill obvious newbies (lucky not that common in this particular game).

The staff came down hard soon after, and murdering people barracks became frowned upon, and instead people are now dismissed or handed to the authorities. I wasn't going to make another character afterwards, I mean who the fuck would want to play a game where you take the time to create a character, only to be trapped in a couple rooms alone, forced to solo RP and not allowed to leave or have fun, and if you do, you lose that character. Still I was bored at the time and decided to make one more character, however once again obvious newb character joined Kurac and was taught the true meaning of Role Playing. I was taken to a pile of rubble and over the years I watched a tavern surrounded by ruins turn into the outpost we love today.  :-*

Quote from: Tetra on August 28, 2015, 04:54:38 PM
I don't give a shit.
You're doing it wrong.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

August 28, 2015, 05:03:17 PM #267 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:05:06 PM by Tetra
Quote from: Is Friday on August 28, 2015, 05:02:23 PM
I don't give a shit.
You're doing it wrong.

What I care about is when people's OOC bias colors their IC attitudes.  I don't trust most people to be able to reign that in, with their lamebrained assumptions.

Also frankly, you are a troll.  You're doing it right but it's also annoying.
- Rumi

I don't consider some Tuluki/Allanaki jokester rivalry posts to be trolling. But you can take it personally if you want to crusade into the sunset, my man.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 28, 2015, 04:36:20 PM
It's Armageddon. Stop taking things personally, don't give a shit about others if you're having fun, arrange the bodies of your enemies.

The Mary Sues are my enemies

arrange purple.eyed.body lies here, mouth stuffed obscenely full of raw silk and jewelry
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Be nice to each other or I'll turn this car around.

Quote from: Is Friday on August 28, 2015, 05:02:23 PM
I don't give a shit.
You're doing it wrong.

I'm going to spank IsFriday's next dainty f-me while Tetra's deranged mutant watches. That'll teach you two...well, nothing at all. But it will amuse me. So yeah.

I won't consent to that.

The best advice I have is to keep everything IC. That includes if someone is making assumptions you don't agree with on an out of character level.

"If you think characters are being mean to yours, you're probably right."

It's not their fault they don't know all the 100x reasons your PC is doing That Weird Thing. It's okay for them to be offended or confused ICly.

I made a northern grebber who by pure happenstance had the exact same sdesc as another player at the time, (the short, thick man). Learned a few things I probably shouldn't have from people whispering to and waying me, but had no idea why they were telling me this stuff. It didn't take long for them to realize I wasn't that person because I was acting like a total noob. One of them took mercy on me and took me out hunting and showed me the ropes, also showed me what gear to buy for armor and such. Signed up as a hunter for a certain overweight noble, then took a 2 RL month break after my mentor stopped showing up. Came back and everything had fallen apart, couldn't contact the noble or anything, joined the levies, kept hunting/gathering, and then one time I got jumped in the grey by a gurth and a kryl, killed the gurth and ran, but left my mount (which had 2 backpacks full of coins and stuff to sell to merchants when they would buy on it, I didn't know about the bank) and went back for it. Was blinded and died.

TLDR: Someone found a mount with like 4k coins and a bunch of stuff to sell. Then my next 4 characters all died within ~2 hours, because I had forgotten how wimpy you are at the beginning.
3/21/16 Never Forget