Tell your first character's story...

Started by NoteworthyFellow, July 03, 2008, 11:24:45 AM

Can confirm, that role was great Nauta.

July 06, 2015, 08:27:58 AM #226 Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:39:39 AM by Insigne
Edit: Oops. Just noticed the first post.

Quote from: nauta on June 18, 2015, 01:20:50 PM
A kankfly says, "o kankfly".

lolololol
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

My first was back in 2000 right when I got back from Basic Training. I had no idea how to play, I wondered out the Merchant Gates and died of dehydration. I didn't play again for like three months thinking it was a stupid game. Then I stumbled on it again, and this time with more time to actually learn the game. My next character was a pickpocket that targeted Templars and somehow lived for a while before a certain black bearded Templar eradicated him.
Quote from: Olgaris
Entering the Labyrinth is definitely not illegal.
Being a desert elf is not illegal.
A Templar can kill you for both.

July 10, 2015, 10:39:24 AM #229 Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:34:49 PM by zanthalandreams
My first was in 2001.  

She started life in 'nak named Rynae.  Middling stats and bland background, nothing spectacular.  Immediately joined Oash as a guard, ended up an Elite, then got ranked up as Sergeant in the Elites.  But she was a ranger and was promoted mostly due to longevity and RP.  Could barely ride, really.  No combat.  Pure ignorance on my part about anything except leave gates=death so I didn't.  Ever.

First time she got dominated by a recruit in the sparring ring was a significant vote of no-confidence in her ability to lead.  Rp got really bad in the clan, in-fighting got worse.  Couple of New Boss changes and the original Lordling who hired her quit playing.  Just wasn't fun to play in the city anymore, so she took to patrolling more outside for fear of death by friendly fire.  Got lucky on a lot of stupid things and then met this Kojiro Fale character at some boring stand-and-guard gig.  Got drunk with him a lot, hiding from her own folk, and had some intense conversations and was really amazed at that character's RP and ability to present so many facets.  In one of the drunken conversations, he encouraged her to "change her face" if she was unhappy.  

So she left all of her Elite gear, save for one something indicating rank, and blindly rode north-eastish through the salt flats.  Through the Red.  Got chased by lots of things, got lucky again.   Ignorance is not just bliss, it seems to be impenetrable armor sometimes.     Made it to Luir's out of dumb luck and using the 'hunt' skill after getting passed by some cloaked folk.  Somehow got an audience with this guy named Sargax where she gave full disclosure, surrendered the insignia as proof, and asked for asylum in exchange for an oath of lifelong service.  

Shaved her head, tattooed a fist on her face, requested a sdesc change, and took the name Shailyn.  

From recruit to regular to outrider recruit to outrider to outrider lieutenant.   Spent a long, long time in Kurac.  Got better at making things die, explored lots of places, did lots of crazy things.  Stood shoulder-to-shoulder with my former Oashi boss and big units of NPC soldiers on the walls of Kurac as an army came down - - was butt-puckered terrified he would recognize her.  If he did, nothing was ever said.  Not to her anyway.    

Learned bendune, got transferred to junior agent . . . and then to agent.  Stationed in Tuluk, took over running the Tooth and working out of the estate.  Remodeled the Tooth*.  Worked on some of the buildings in the Kuraci estate.   Took to wearing all white armor.  Kept her spears from her outrider days. . . used them often as punctuation in negotiations.   Learned how to be a straight up Kuraci mafia boss**.  

Stored her in 2003.  

Later on, one of her employees took over the Tooth and erected a statue of her behind the bar.  First time I saw that, I got a little teary-eyed.  

Learned a lot about being a leader from that PC . . . learned more about being a follower.   Was real proud to see actual impacts of her presence in the game a decade or so later.  Maybe will get to sit at that bar again and see the statue one day.

Still, decade and a half later, chasing that feeling of IC relevance.

Edited to add:
*The Tooth, before renovation, was a very boring single-room bar. 

**I knew I had achieved Kuraci Godmother status when Agent Shailyn's presence was so intimidating to a noble that one of 'em used "talk" instead of "psi" and blurted out how nervous she was.  Overheard it at the table where Shai was smoking a pipe and holding court. 

Damn. Awed and jealous.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Pretty awesome story.  I've noticed some of the statues I've seen in Arm just so happen to be some rich and powerful dude/ette who, in the greater scheme, was just passing through and left their mark with ...  a statue.  But for once, it's nice to hear the story behind one of those that is actually meaningful.

Kurac is far and away my favorite Arm clan.  It's amazing to play a Kuraci mafia boss, I highly recommend it to anyone.

Quote from: Kismetic on July 10, 2015, 12:42:57 PM
Pretty awesome story.  I've noticed some of the statues I've seen in Arm just so happen to be some rich and powerful dude/ette who, in the greater scheme, was just passing through and left their mark with ...  a statue.  But for once, it's nice to hear the story behind one of those that is actually meaningful.

Kurac is far and away my favorite Arm clan.  It's amazing to play a Kuraci mafia boss, I highly recommend it to anyone.

FOR KASSIGARH
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

My first Arm pc was 12 years ago...she was a Tor Cadet...she didn't live long. I decided to map the city and wandered into the labyrinth  on accident :-\ I had enough time to think 'Wow this is ugly part of town..maybe i should turn around...'
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Was that you I had to pull out of there?

It would have been a different story if Zanthalandream's PC had skilled up first.  Thanks for sharing!

24 hours later still jealous. I've been playing for 15 years and still haven't made a pc that cool!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

My first PC (that lived passed a few days) was a Legion soldier who was a dumbass for both IC and OOC reasons. Bragged about singlehandedly killing 20+kryl with a broken sword, and proceeded to live for about 8 RL months. He also took the title of Krylslayer.

He killed 3 Kryl that I'm pretty sure staff debuffed for him because he was so weak.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Barzalene on July 11, 2015, 01:04:52 PM
24 hours later still jealous. I've been playing for 15 years and still haven't made a pc that cool!

Playing in Kurac was just amazing during that time.  Proactive, responsive clan imms combined with strong, long-lived PC leadership and a constant influx of new blood.  I've had a few long-lived PCs since then that I felt were cool in other ways - - but nothing like that first one. 

July 17, 2015, 12:04:00 AM #240 Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:07:53 AM by ibusoe
This isn't my first character.  My first character was a Tor Scorpion cadet who was kicked out of the clan because I decided to take a RL month off.  Not really happy about that even now, but what can you do?  I think he tried going out hunting on his own and gotten eaten by a scrab pretty quickly after that.

So instead I'll bring you the story of the first character that I have a bio for.  I named him Oonhod?  How the heck did I come up with that? Dated: Mar 01, 2006
Oonhod's father was a stone dealer and his mother was a hunter.  The two
were not very close, cooperating only to raise a couple of children.  They
argued so often that one might question how they spawned children in the
first place.  Oonhod's older sister hopes to have a good career in the
Legion, a desire imparted to her by her parents.  Military service has
little appeal to Oonhod.  He finds the lifestyle of Tuluk's professional
asssasins to be much more romantic and alluring.  It's all that he can
imagine himself doing.  

Okay, reasonable background, right?  I seem to remember deciding that I wanted to try playing an employee of a Noble House for the first time.  Why not try Winrothrol?  If you're going to play a member of a Noble House, you might as well be a slaver, right?
Date: 20 April 2006 - Early Character Experience
After Oonhod left the shelter of living with his parents,
He poked around Freil's rest looking for work.
He got several good offers,
However he took a spot in House Winrothol under Serjeant Akim.
Serjeant Akim was mentioned prominently in a couple of other recent posts.  Totally awesome.  I seem to remember him placing well in one of Kurac's sparring championships, which were a really big deal at the time.  Unfortunately the Winrothrol staff really made us spell it Serjeant which was laughable then, laughable now, heh.
Life in the Blood Hunters : Apr 21, 2006
Oonhod was pretty shy when he was first in the Blood Hunters.  To some extent, he's
come out of his shell although he's fairly quiet and withdrawn to a large degree.  While in
the Blood Hunters, he picked up a few fairly surly habits.  He learned to talk a little
better, but his polish doesn't show through very often.  His closest friends were a giant
named Draka and Serjeant Akim.
Both of those character would end up being somewhat instrumental in my character's life.  Not sure on the date of some of these because they're inconsistent with what I remember, but I'm reporting what I have in my records.
Training Under Serjeant Akim : Apr 26, 2006
3 Probably the highlight of Oonhod's involvement in House Winrothol was participating
in the Slave Auction as a guard.  Although Oonhod usually doesn't like large gatherings,
having a role to fill and a clear place in the proceedings made him more comfortable.  He
enjoyed the ceremony of it.  Also, he enjoyed getting to see the Chosen Lords interacting
together as a group.  
together as a group.  (SIC)
That might actually have been like my second or third HRPT.  I have a tendency to avoid them.  My interest in them usually relates to the level of trust that I have in the staff running them.
Leaving Winrothol : Apr 26, 2006
4 Even as Oonhod settled more and more into the life of a Guard, he knew he would need
to leave in order to pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a high-profile licensed
assassin.  He received an offer of sponsorship from Faithful Malik, and agreed to leave
House Winrothol.  Serjeant Akim took this particularly badly.  Oonhod felt that he was
leaving the House just in time, as a Chosen Lord had recently assigned Akim what
Oonhod viewed to be a suicide mission.  
And my character's suspicions ended up being totally correct.  I remember bumping into some of these guys just hanging around the Gaj?  Not sure why they'd choose to be that indiscreet.
The motive for the suicide mission was that we saw one of our Chosen Lords disappear, presumably kidnapped by mages.  My suspicion is that the guy simply stored his character, heh, and simply needed a MacGuffin.  Wars have been started on flimsier pretexts in real life.  But I didn't run down to Allanak right away.
Leaving House Winrothrol was odd.  I mean, I had a near-total inability to stand up to authority figures in real life at this point, so standing up to Sergeant (ahem, Serjeant) Akim was a real-life accomplishment for me.  I'd never done anything like that.  Very important for the formation of my real-life adult psychology.  Boy, was he mad.  And I really liked Akim, which was what made it hard.  He really was the sort of person (character?  dwarf?) that you'd want to march into certain death for.
"Forward the six hundred."
Living on the Streets : Apr 27, 2006
5 Oonhod hung around Tuluk for a while, but couldn't get a spot on Malik's busy
schedule.  Living as a vagrant, he eventually got arrested for fighting.  Oonhod's
passionate hatred of elves had finally gotten him into trouble.  Fearing retribution from
the Templarate, he left the city quietly, and tried to find work in Allanak.  
There you have it, folks.  I was playing an elf-hater even when it was relatively uncommon for players to follow the docs.  EDIT:  Regarding the aforementioned suicide mission, Akim died under interrogation, somehow preserving mission integrity.  Draka PK'd a gemmed, and fled back to Tuluk.  I actually kept in touch with the player of Akim for a while, and that dude was seriously cool.  Reach out to me if you still player, brother!
Onto the Sands : Apr 27, 2006
6 Oonhod wanted to scrape some money together to pay for his own assassin's training.  
His wanderings took him to Red Storm East.  Oonhod truly hated what he viewed as a
"one-kank town" however he was desperate for money.  Although Oonhod is very much
a city-boy, he's becoming increasingly accustomed to the wastelands.  While in Red
Storm East he made friends with a half-elf named Maratu.  His views are softening some,
if only out of loneliness and out of pragmatism.
It's funny how loneliness can be a theme for the game at times.  Didn't believe I'd actually written the above.  Poignant if you don't mind my saying so.  Who was Maratu?  
Run-inn with some Templars : Apr 27, 2006
7 On a rare visit to Tuluk, he popped into a tavern for a business meeting.  As luck should
have it, three of the cities faithful lords happened to pop in as well.  Each tried to press
him into the Legion, a job he would have accepted willingly a year ago.  He now
mistrusts each of the Templars, and feels sure that they are trying to lure him into a trap.  
He views Eunoli, Malik and the third Templar as obstacles to his own success.
This was the dark age of the game.  Clan management wasn't that hot back then.  The playerbase was younger.  one of the foibles of the game was the fact that EVERYONE WANTED TO HIRE YOUR CHARACTER, even for POSITIONS THAT YOUR CHARACTER WAS IN NO WAY QUALIFIED FOR.  LOL.  The game is a lot funner now that you actually have to compete for jobs.  You value a job more.  It becomes something of a status symbol.
The below was to be my last entry for the character.
Joining another House : Apr 27, 2006
8 Oonhod has made the decision to join House Kadius.  Once again, his motives are
impure.  He's mostly interested in a place to crash out, temporary shelter and the training.  
Kadius would probably have been about the last of his choices of employment, however
they were the first to make him a tenable offer.  Ironically, he's being sent to the north for
his own safety.  Increasingly, he is doubting that he will ever live the life of a celebrity
assassin.  He's beginning to contemplate more pragmatic routes to gain influence, safety
and stability in his life.  
I can't remember how this character died, but I really think it was a warbeetle.  And I really think that this same warbeetle (meaning the template) is still in game out there, heh.  You bastard you ate my character!!!

LOL

August 28, 2015, 11:45:36 AM #241 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:02:48 PM by Tetra
So!

It's been a whole year since I played Minuit.  He was my first 'real' character.  Some of you might remember him as:  the horned, white-haired young man.

He was a mutant born in Allanak who was stoned, shunned, and abused for being suspected as a magicker.  Hunters mistook him for wild game and after being stalked for a few months, he murdered the guy.  The hunter was a mark for a shadow artist, hired by a wealthy merchant.  He was taken back to Tuluk as a protege, brainwashed/mindbent and trained to kill.

He was quickly hired by the premier House of Tuluk at the time(Kassigarh).  This was rather out of place, since Minuit was still a mutant.  Minuit lived more than comfortably for a commoner and his patron threw thousands of coins at him regularly for doing his job well.  He also had a personal assistant/bodyguard that followed him everywhere(kudos to whoever played that PC!).  He went on to create a group known as the Troupe, a spy network of street performers(this pissed off the bard Circles).  Later on it became the Society, a Templar sponsored off-shoot of the Guild that never really took off because he ended up departing the city after hearing that a Master bard had put a contract on his head.  

I can't tell you what happened after... ;)
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Yeah, premiere houses hire foreigner mutants as full time employees.  ::)

#borsail #therealpremierenobles
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on August 28, 2015, 12:06:25 PM
Yeah, premiere houses hire foreigner mutants as full time employees.  ::)

#borsail #therealpremierenobles

He was also a half-elf.  

With that being said he was probably the most fiscally successful breed/mutant in recent Tuluki history.
- Rumi

Did your premiere noble lord also have a catgirl threesome with you?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on August 28, 2015, 12:09:02 PM
Did your premiere noble lord also have a catgirl threesome with you?

Find out IC.
- Rumi

I am glad you had an awesome experience and that you have a cool story. I guess less glad to hear that sponsored roles are wandering so far afield of the docs.

Quote from: Barzalene on August 28, 2015, 02:01:44 PM
I am glad you had an awesome experience and that you have a cool story. I guess less glad to hear that sponsored roles are wandering so far afield of the docs.
Can't blame the noble for doing more than hiring a mutant, which the docs didn't forbid.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on August 28, 2015, 02:13:52 PM
Can't blame the noble for doing more than hiring a mutant, which the docs didn't forbid.

Guess too late to blame anyone
A new player had fun.
The game didn't break..

Out of the handful of nobles I played under, that patron was hands down, _the best_ clan leader I've ever been with.
- Rumi