MUD Connection Issues

Started by halfbreed, May 02, 2003, 06:09:51 PM

Okay, I've been using ZMud w/only one really truly aggravting problem, and that is this:  Every once in a while, I'll miss a command.  Usually every 5 or 10 mins or so of playing, something I type in is echoed to the screen by ZMud, but never makes it to ginka apparently, because the command never takes affect.  This is usually annoying (people don't hear what I say and assume I didn't say anything, or that I'm slow...) to deadly (typing 'flee' and not having anything happen for a while is often bad).

I noticed that I never have this problem dialed into my girlfriend's modem, playing on her Apple Powerbook, using a different client.  Of course, there's about 100 different variables then that may cause my problem.

I've been wanting to try other mud clients, to rule that out.. but so far have found only one that has the zmud features I like.  That one is Fire Client (firebolt.com)  The features I want are:

- ability to do a simple alias, just like the game... so that say... le=look east

- ability to scroll up through command history by pressing up-arrow

- ability to log

- ability to highlight damage colors

That's really it, not too much to ask, you'd think, but I've found no other clients that fit the bill.  Fireclient works wonderfully it seems, except for this issue:

Check out the output I get on every first line when I type look:

Quote> l room
The Storm's End Inn [NSWU]   This building evidences the same architectural principles as the inner
wall and gate towers, but to a much lesser degree.  Its horns and spiked
flanges have either been worn with time or were designed to a more subtle
appearance.  Inside, veins of obsidian run along the ceiling and walls,
generating the impression of a cold, stony skin, black-blooded and evil.
Long since become an inn, however, this structure now provides shelter for
the passengers of caravans and for the occasional traveler or elvish
scavenger, as well as serving as a public house for the permanent employees

Basically, after the [NSWU] section, the client immediately displays the next line without using an enter command.  There's an option to use CR or LF for end-of-line character, but I'm not sure which one people use for Armageddon (and neither seems to work right now).

So I have two mud clients that don't really work well for me for really small but disturbing reasons.  Anyone have any advice?  Thanks in advance!!!

P.S.  I primarily play on Windows 2k or XP servers.
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

The TCP/IP protocol (which you use to connect to ginka) is a reliable streaming protocol.  It NEVER fails to deliver a packet (unless your connection actually closes entirely).  You have a bug in your client software (maybe a threading issue...  is zMud threaded?).  Check their website for patches or try other software....

Also, the reason you seem to get weird output from "l room" is (maybe) a weird terminal problem (another client software bug), or something similar.

One word: Wintin
Has everything you wanbt and much much more.

MUSHclinet is also one word and it has a built in spell checker in addition to your requirements.

Of course since you already have zmud (which you've probably already paid for and get free updates with), you could just e-mail Zugg and ask him or his wife.

The problem you describe is *definitely* a ZMud issue - there are a few oddities that occur with it when you play Arm, most of which are fixable.

The hardest part is figuring out how, and Zugg (particularly his wife) is extremely helpful. They might tell you "no can do, sorry!" or they might send you exact step-by-step instructions for fixing it, or they might send you to a link in their website with the instructions already printed.

You could also check out the zuggsoft forum, chances are the problem has already been addressed there.

www.zuggsoft.com is the URL.

Quote from: "Plazgoth"MUSHclinet is also one word and it has a built in spell checker in addition to your requirements.
The GDB on the other hand doesn't have a built in spell checker :P

I like MUSHclinet as it lets you add words to the dictionary so it accepts kank and whatnot ;)

WOW!  Thanks for the tips guys!

The suggestions were great, but MUSHClient in particular is ROCKIN!

Really fast, very smooth, easy to set up and understand.  No offense to Zugg, but this product blows his away by a long shot... can't imagine why it doesn't get nearly as much press.

Thanks again!

*skips happily*
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

Wait... Is MUSHClient Nick Gammon's product? Right?

Think it is... If so, not only is MUSHClient pretty nice, Nick's a great guy. Helps lots of people on coding situations concerning Smaug and hmm... A few other things as well as general stuff. And he updates things alot at least last I know... Haven't been to his site or talk with him for awhile. SHRUG.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Been using mushclient myself since like v1.27

Never used the spellchecker though.

1. Then everybody would think somebody else is posting under X-D

2. The spelling nazi's need something to do.

3. I make everybody elses spelling look better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
X-D...who is once again back into his bad habits, mudding everyday and posting after midnight.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"3. I make everybody elses spelling look better.

Boy, and he ain't joking.

:lol:
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

"Alclient" does all you want, it may also map properly. And the best feature of it: It's only 333 Kbytes and never never never locks your system. www.ashavarslegacy.org is the address that you may download it.

And I want Venomz's colors back.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]