Hard To Roleplay

Started by Is Friday, June 28, 2008, 02:45:28 PM

Quote from: Cerelum on November 15, 2008, 11:06:43 AM
I enjoyed half-giants, but find that it's hard to act stupid all the time.  And I hate the people who play half-giants like, "Oh boy, I love dem steaks..oh boy." it reminds me of that cartoon where the big goofy guy is like, "Otay George, whateva you say George."

They're more realistic than those giants whose intelligence quadruples as soon as there's a chance they might be tricked / in danger and then reverts back to making silly mistakes again when they feel like providing a bit of comedic value and there's nothing at stake.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Quote from: Boggis on November 15, 2008, 12:09:41 PM
They're more realistic than those giants whose intelligence quadruples as soon as there's a chance they might be tricked / in danger and then reverts back to making silly mistakes again when they feel like providing a bit of comedic value and there's nothing at stake.
So would you have them blindly throw their half-giant away as some half-elf tricks them into thinking that Soldier is really a magicker in disguise and to punch it?

JaRoD

I find it really hard to play non guilt-tripping women.  :(
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Cerelum on November 15, 2008, 12:51:30 PM
So would you have them blindly throw their half-giant away as some half-elf tricks them into thinking that Soldier is really a magicker in disguise and to punch it?

JaRoD

If they're tricked in a convincing way then yes. But the example you're providing would be one that would be a difficult trick to pull off convincingly. HG's who've lived in a city will have absorbed and adapted the culture that you don't go around hitting soldiers and that soldiers aren't magickers. They're not going to suddenly lose all this the minute somebody tells them otherwise. The breed in your example would have to come up with something quite imaginative. But it's not an impossible scenario to imagine. Think of just about the stupidest person you know in real life. Now imagine that the top of the class, Harvard graduate equivalent in the HG community is, at best, probably about as smart as this stupidest person and you should have an idea of the consistent level of stupidity required to play a HG. You can't just ramp up the intelligence level because you want to avoid a particular bad situation for your character because you know what will happen if you do something stupid. As a HG you literally have to do stupid things and be open to the bad things that may happen to you because you've done something stupid.

Quote from: Half Giant Social Plight
Are Half-Giants Easily Tricked?

They are very easily tricked. They cannot think flexibly or with subtlety, they cannot grasp abstract concepts, and they are highly suggestible and trusting. All together, these things make half-giants very easy to manipulate. A half-giant does not attach any value to an item other than that which it seems to have at the moment, and the same goes for a friend.

Why Are Half-Giants so Trusting?

Because they think everyone thinks exactly the same way they do! They get awfully confused when this might not be the case, which often makes them all the more easy to manipulate.

HG's are consistently stupid - not just when it suits the player OOC'ly to be stupid.

You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Playing someone who would follow orders to the letter, who is forced to wait for said orders when being ordered to wait for orders.

Quote from: Furious George on November 15, 2008, 08:15:27 PM
Playing someone who would follow orders to the letter, who is forced to wait for said orders when being ordered to wait for orders.

Conversely, I'm great at taking orders, I am -not- great at giving arbitrary orders. Relay orders are fine, but making them up is impossible for me. I have a hard time creating the structure necessary for other people to operated.

Then, I'm never a leader PC
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

It's hard for me to play older characters.

Pass the torch to the younger generation and all.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

As a super noob I think I would have a hard time Rping a video game nerd, sitting on his couch with a beer and a laptop playing Armageddon.

I haven't quite found my niche yet, which is nice in a way. I have played a few chars now, and I have fell in each roll with relative ease so far.

However, I am having a hard time with my skills obber sucking at the start though. If I am supposed to be a beefy fight hardened guy, and I have a hard go with a rat. It doesn't sit right with me, but this could only be the fact that I haven't been able to keet a character alive long enough for his skills to get better.
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

After playing this game for a month, I've realized one thing: I really suck when there's no goal. Heck, I don't mind if it's a sucky, impossible one. But if the game ends up making me do something like earn as much money as possible, be as powerful as possible, all those boring, vague goals, I'll get really annoyed and try to suicide.

Good thing that dwarves are a no-karma race. I'm really loving playing a dwarf :D
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on November 25, 2008, 04:33:18 AM
After playing this game for a month, I've realized one thing: I really suck when there's no goal. Heck, I don't mind if it's a sucky, impossible one. But if the game ends up making me do something like earn as much money as possible, be as powerful as possible, all those boring, vague goals, I'll get really annoyed and try to suicide.

Good thing that dwarves are a no-karma race. I'm really loving playing a dwarf :D

Amen.  Dwarven foci for the win!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Dwarves are my favorite race, as long as you have crazy hard goals, like become an honorary member of a gith tribe, or raise a baby kryl as your pet.

Hard to roleplay, for me honestly, would definitely be a social-only character. I wouldn't say I'm a twink per se (I'm getting better about it, damnit) but I -do- feel like having code to work with increases my will to play. If I just sat in a bar all day, waiting for someone to ask me to fetch them something, I'd suicide. =\
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

As a note, reading through this thread made me think of Bartle classifications.  Reading people's responses, I'm overconfidently going to say I could probably place a majority of people into their primary role by how they responded.  I think my response would allow anyone familiar to fairly easily classify myself.  A, E, S, G

If you aren't familiar, go google it and read up.  It'll be worth your time.  Why?  Glad you asked.  That'd be because one of the most rewarding, and initially painful experiences you can do for role playing is to play the wrong end of your spectrum.  For me, I'd play a griefer, who achieves his goals through social and political influence and never uses coded skills.  If I could pull this off, I'd be polishing my RP to the next level(read, natural achiever inclination). 

Quote from: Kryos on November 29, 2008, 02:39:21 AM
That'd be because one of the most rewarding, and initially painful experiences you can do for role playing is to play the wrong end of your spectrum.  For me, I'd play a griefer, who achieves his goals through social and political influence and never uses coded skills.  If I could pull this off, I'd be polishing my RP to the next level(read, natural achiever inclination). 

Very close to what I'm trying to do at the moment. It can be ridiculously entertaining,  though its easy to get demoralized and wonder if you can actually pull the RP off. I've written myself a long background and gone through a bunch of docs and discussions just to get in tune with things and see them from a fresh perspective.
"The perfect police state has no police." - William S. Burroughs

Assassins.. and Burglers.. But mostly Assassins.. Because I want to be an uber assassin to bad Its hard for me to Rp because I have to twink to raise my backstab skill and then eventually I get sick with myself because im twinking...
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."