Hard To Roleplay

Started by Is Friday, June 28, 2008, 02:45:28 PM

What roles have you had experience with that are difficult for you to remain within the bounds of the role for it to be fun?

Example: Socialite Merchant Amos's player would really like to spar and brawl, but he IC has no real practical application for learning these things. Nor does his background support these things, or his personality--so generally, it would be something just short of a 180 degree change that brings him into the tough guy lifestyle.

What sort of roles have been difficult to roleplay for you because you generally play a different sort of character? Have these been rewarding in their variety, or can you not break out of the warrior/hunter mold?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I can not break out of the warrior hunter mold  :-\
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Warriors.
Briar

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."
     -"Ballad of the Inchoroi"

I cannot, for the life of me, play pickpockets. I don't know why, I just can't get into the RP enough for it to make up for the general uselessness of the starting skills, and I get swiftly irritated by the consequences of failure. :( I'll keep trying though.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on June 28, 2008, 03:23:13 PM
I cannot, for the life of me, play pickpockets. I don't know why, I just can't get into the RP enough for it to make up for the general uselessness of the starting skills, and I get swiftly irritated by the consequences of failure. :( I'll keep trying though.
Unless you sneak around and spam steal from NPC's, playing a pickpocket seems very unrewarding, in comparison to the dire consequences that result from failed attempts (if caught).

In my eyes, Pickpockets are the ones that get tossed into the arena to live a short, agonizing life, only to die to some krath-forsaken creature for the entertainment of the whole.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on June 28, 2008, 04:55:04 PM
In my eyes, Pickpockets are the ones that get tossed into the arena to live a short, agonizing life, only to die to some krath-forsaken creature for the entertainment of the whole.

Pretty much. Yep.

I can't say I've had trouble roleplaying anythign et. But I probably would have issues roleplaying anyone who is constantly a coward, or a sniveling bastard. I also probably couldn't play someone with really low intelligence for an extended period of time.

For me, playing muls has always seemed 'forced' but I can usually get into the role after a while.

I imagine playing an elf, and possibly a half-elf would also present the same kind of challenge, but I've just never gotten around to playing one of those.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Yeah, even if I follow the docs on elves to the T, I have a hard time with it, because I always think there's some mythical document on them that everyone refers to, but no one can find.

Quote from: Maso on June 28, 2008, 03:23:13 PMI'll keep trying though.
I won't. Heh.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Non-political roles are tough for me. I don't mean I need to play a "political" type, but rather, that I need for my character to be somehow involved. Either they know what's going on and are informing for someone else, or they're one of the "movers and shakers," or they are otherwise, at least, marginally on the political fringes of involvement. Some nobody who no one cares about and has nothing to do with anything, I think, would be hard for me to play. Even a desert elf deals with d-elf politics in their own territory. I'd need my d-elf character to know about what's going on, and care about what's going on.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I have trouble playing characters that say little.  Given time they always end up saying lots.
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 28, 2008, 05:01:15 PM
But I probably would have issues roleplaying anyone who is constantly a coward, or a sniveling bastard. I also probably couldn't play someone with really low intelligence for an extended period of time.

You seem to be doing a pretty good job at it right now... hah.  Just kidding.

Yeah, I know we don't want a world full of "exceptions" where everyone is a badass and super-witty and stuff... but it can also be pretty unrewarding to play a super-mundane boring character.  I guess the trick is to strike some sort of balance between the two.  Personally, I'm not a real great "actor" or RP'er I guess... so I end up just trying to stick to a background story and try to have fun as much as I can.

I try to stick to being realistic and stuff, but there are times where realism can be pretty boring... which is probably the reason for the non-realistic fantasy world and such... so there's kinda some conflicts there which can cause problems if you are not a super-committed die-hard player or whatever.  Don't get me wrong, I love the game and have played it for 10+ years off and on... I just don't have the time to play consistently and form intricate relationships in the game because I'm mostly just logging on for some realistic combat action which is the most fun when there's realistic RP to go along with it.  This can lead to not being viewed as a very good RP'er at times.

So I guess for me, those hard to play roles are anything that requires a whole lot of committment or schedule of any sort... which pretty much just leaves me with indie warriors/hunters, raiders and fun-loving roguish characters of some sort or the occasional bloodthirsty criminal.

I have a problem playing characters who give a shit about other people.

All of my characters, regardless of intentions, end up being complete misanthropes.

Quote from: manonfire on June 28, 2008, 06:32:03 PM

All of my characters, regardless of intentions, end up being complete misanthropes.

I have the opposite problem. I need to let go of that.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Dwarves and extroverts.

I have trouble maintaining all that ambition and social energy, respectively.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 28, 2008, 07:26:32 PM
Dwarves and extroverts.

I have trouble maintaining all that ambition and social energy, respectively.

For me it would be slackers and introverts :D My characters are always doers and chatters. I have to say, though, I'm not really interested in or concerned about changing that. Playing opposite to my very most basic preferences would make a role unenjoyable.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not comfortable IG unless my character is breaking something.... Be it breaking other people's faces, or breaking into apartments. Also, trying to play anything but humans is just a pain.

Playing characters that aren't cocky jackasses.

Also, non-humans.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I think that might be because you're a cocky jackass, Mood. <3

Unless you sneak around and spam steal from NPC's, playing a pickpocket seems very unrewarding, in comparison to the dire consequences that result from failed attempts (if caught).

I'm going with you guys. However, I found it's a hell of a lot easier to have a 'front', and use pickpocketing as a secret talent kind of thing. Then there's a bunch of jobs: Bards, merchants, aides... You could do your guild/subguild in reverse, having your profession as your subguild.

I find it hard to roleplay....

A dwarf.. Just not my style..

And someone that does not knock himself out at least once or twice from newbie contact.  :P ::)
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: Spoon on June 29, 2008, 05:34:08 AM

I'm going with you guys. However, I found it's a hell of a lot easier to have a 'front', and use pickpocketing as a secret talent kind of thing. Then there's a bunch of jobs: Bards, merchants, aides... You could do your guild/subguild in reverse, having your profession as your subguild.

But I really want a dirty, grimy 'rinther pickpocket.

On top of pickpockets: Extroverts and socialites. There is nothing I hate more than tavern sitting. I like TALKING to people, but I hate talking to people that I don't want to talk to. Thus tavern sitting is awkward. Sometimes it's good, and my most favourite character in the world comes in and sits down next to me...and sometimes I get stuck with someone I can't wait to get away from. Worst case scenario - five people walk in and my brain explodes. This only applies to 'normal' taverns. For some reason I'm fine in the 'Rinth.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Scratch another one for the dwarf column.

When it comes to the focus (and the few dwarves I've tried), I feel I come off far too zealous in my attempts to finish it.

Ive only ever retired two chars.

One was a noble. I can't play nobility for crap. I'm sure it could be fun in terms of organizing stuff. But the fact that you can't even even come along for the wagon ride? Meh.

The other was for a special role so it didn't count as me not liking her. I really liked her.

I've never played a dwarf.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: bracken on June 28, 2008, 06:09:09 PM
I have trouble playing characters that say little.  Given time they always end up saying lots.

Quote from: Barzalene on June 28, 2008, 07:23:54 PM
Quote from: manonfire on June 28, 2008, 06:32:03 PM

I have the opposite problem. I need to let go of that.

I have both of these problems. My PCs always end up being easy-going and quick to laugh, with only a few short-lived exceptions. I think I'd have problems playing any race other then human, except maybe half-elf, but I haven't really explored many other races. I find the idea of RP restrictions a daunting, but I'll tackle it sometime.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.