The Charge Skill

Started by Furious George, June 27, 2008, 01:27:45 PM

This skill causes a highly skilled rider to attempt to trample an
opponent while mounted on an animal.  Upon success, the victim will be
knocked over and left on the ground (if he/she was not already there).
This leaves the victim prone to attack and disables his/her ability to do
things other than stand.  This skill, while combative in nature, is
primarily available to rangers, half-elves, and expert riders who have a
greater rapport with animals, since such maneuvers require expert control
over the animal.

Now tell me, wouldn't it be great if this skill could engage from one room off, causing the mounted rider to literally 'charge' their target from an actual, running distance?  Perhaps the rate of failure is higher because of the potential for seeing it coming, but the damage could additionally be higher with success. 

Just a thought.  Ideas?

I'm pretty sure thats been brought up before, but I like the idea! It would also be cool when it comes to hunting.

For example, you're hunting gurth atop an erdlu ... the erdlu should be way faster than the gurth but presently your only option is to follow the gurth room to room as it flees from you, until it's out of stamina, then attack it. (or get off the erdlu and sneak over but then you aren't hunting gurth from atop an erdlu anymore)

I think it would be a bit more realistic and cool if you could, from one room over, give your erdlu a running start and "run down" the gurth by being faster than it instead of just out-pacing it long-distance.

Uerm, if that made any sense.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

This is exactly how I see it too.  It makes a spear wielding cavalry charge a bit more imposing too.

You make sense, except in your choice of prey, but I don't want to give anything away there, your example works otherwise.

Yeah, I was just trying to think up something that would likely be slow (because of its shell), to show how strange it seems to me that it can without fail, outrun an animal that is supposed to be fast and very maneuverable per the documentation. It would be nice if charge (or even something else) could be tweaked to fix that.

YES, please.  At the very least, charge should work like it does for carru, and experienced riders should be able to use their mounts to literally bash someone/something into another room.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on June 27, 2008, 02:21:27 PM
At the very least, charge should work like it does for carru, and experienced riders should be able to use their mounts to literally bash someone/something into another room.

God that used to piss me off....But I LOVE the idea of this charge from another room, sounds fantastic! Wooo
A horde of Inix turn and stampede straight at you....KRATH!

I agree. But isn't Charge a Branch-able skill that we shouldn't be talking about?

This idea should be sent in with the 'Idea' Command. We have one of those right?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 27, 2008, 02:43:38 PM
I agree. But isn't Charge a Branch-able skill that we shouldn't be talking about?

This idea should be sent in with the 'Idea' Command. We have one of those right?

It shows up on the big list of all help files, so why shouldn't we talk about it?  Everyone can easily find out it exist.  If anything, it is the fact that it is branchable that shouldn't be talked about.

P.S.
Never had this skill before or done much hunting, but this sounds like it would be a great idea.
Food for thought:
Every time someone uses the phrase 'food for thought' a penguin turns to cannibalism (two if used in a pun about actual food)

Uhm................   what?

Swing and a miss!

I think we're good RGS, we've had several charge related threads in the past that were never locked or edited for sensative IC content.

Anything in the helpfiles is open for discussion.

Quote from: manonfire on June 27, 2008, 05:09:35 PM
Anything mundane in the helpfiles is open for discussion.
Fixed.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 27, 2008, 05:17:28 PM
Quote from: manonfire on June 27, 2008, 05:09:35 PM
Anything mundane in the general helpfiles is open for discussion.
Fixed.
Now 'tis.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

June 28, 2008, 09:01:30 AM #14 Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:03:01 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Ourla on June 27, 2008, 02:21:27 PM
YES, please.  At the very least, charge should work like it does for carru, and experienced riders should be able to use their mounts to literally bash someone/something into another room.

This one time, I was walking along a road. And a carru popped outta nowhere and charged at me. He missed completely and rolled off into another room. I lol'd.

And I love this idea too.

That style so doesn't suit you, RGS.

On topic: YES. YES PLEASE. There is nothing more aggrivating than having to hunt via sheer outnumbering of mv points.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

AFAIK, my last pc had charge from the start.  Maybe it was because of my subclass, but I doubt it.