Tapestries?

Started by Salt Merchant, June 14, 2008, 12:32:50 AM

Where are they? Certainly not in the furniture stores. Crafters might never have heard of them.

Sure, there are a few rugs available, but I'd like some beautiful, illustrative tapestries to hang on my walls! Preferably with some available in the shops, but also really fine ones that can be turned out by those with the closest thing to a weaving skill.
Lunch makes me happy.

Tapestries in room descriptions are fairly common, at least in high-end residences. I dunno about elsewhere.

If you want to see tapestries in game, I'd suggest you work up a master tailor-type character and then submit them as mastercrafted items. (Seems to me like a tailor would be the closest thing to a weaver of the crafting types we have.)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

A real tapestry would take weeks, if not months, to make. Doubtful it would make much sense for a weaving/clothworking skill to allow a crafter to produce it within 10 RL minutes.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 14, 2008, 08:20:09 AM
A real tapestry would take weeks, if not months, to make. Doubtful it would make much sense for a weaving/clothworking skill to allow a crafter to produce it within 10 RL minutes.

Why worry about that in this one case when none of the crafting times really make sense?
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 14, 2008, 08:20:09 AM
A real tapestry would take weeks, if not months, to make.

This really depends on the size of the tapestry, complexity of the design, and skill of the weaver. My mom used to weave tapestries as a hobby (i.e., not full-time), and it certainly didn't take her months to do them.

QuoteWhy worry about that in this one case when none of the crafting times really make sense?

Really, 80% of the crafts IG should take at the very least days..so adding that as a reason to not have a craft is silly.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Most definitely.

If you can make an equivalent rug, I see no reason you couldn't hang said rug on the wall...

I know it's not the same, but you could do this with some rugs and drop descriptions currently.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Quote from: psionic fungus on June 14, 2008, 01:29:09 PM
If you can make an equivalent rug, I see no reason you couldn't hang said rug on the wall...

I know it's not the same, but you could do this with some rugs and drop descriptions currently.

That's true, I've done that with items before. But still, it would be good to have some items with "tapestry" in the sdesc that are craftable. I don't think I've ever seen a rug that's craftable, either. But that could be just my limited powers of observation at work.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 14, 2008, 01:30:50 PM
Quote from: psionic fungus on June 14, 2008, 01:29:09 PM

That's true, I've done that with items before. But still, it would be good to have some items with "tapestry" in the sdesc that are craftable. I don't think I've ever seen a rug that's craftable, either. But that could be just my limited powers of observation at work.

I know of one rug-type object that's craftable, but that's it.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station