Using the value command in shops....

Started by Qzzrbl, June 03, 2008, 06:14:26 PM

June 03, 2008, 06:14:26 PM Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:17:23 PM by Qzzrbl
It is really.... REALLY hard to keep a fully armored warrior under a certain weight, when you actually have to buy a piece of armor to tell how much it weighs. That eats up 'sid. Fast. What I'm suggesting is something like

value #3

This piece of armor is made of bone plates sewn onto scrabshell plates, which are then sewn onto sandcloth.

It weighs around 10 stones

Something like that. Because alot of times, physical descriptions of armor don't really indicate much to somethings weight. Which leads to my character getting really bogged down after armor shopping. Which is no good.

Doesn't the view command give the weight?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

If we add this, I think it'd also be nice to add a message stating if you can craft it into something, or maybe even the whole list. Buying raw goods to check if you can craft them eats up 'sid, too.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

June 03, 2008, 06:27:07 PM #3 Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:30:12 PM by Qzzrbl
View tells me if I have the physical strength to wield a weapon effectively, or if my neck can support the weight of a helmet, but that's about it. And I'd imagine if you can tell if you can wield a heavy weapon properly, you'd be able to get a rough estimate as to how much it weighs.

And yeah, I made a thread about craftables and view a good while back talking about the same thing. http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,29069.0.html

I'm pretty positive if you have the approtiate skill, it reveals how much it can hold and approximately how heavy it is when you 'view' something. Err.. If you don't have the skill... Yes you wouldn't know..
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

If you have the value command, you will get the information it provides when viewing in a shop.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: evil_erdlu on June 18, 2008, 08:55:57 AM
I'm pretty positive if you have the approtiate skill, it reveals how much it can hold and approximately how heavy it is when you 'view' something. Err.. If you don't have the skill... Yes you wouldn't know..

View does show you 'value' (your approximation of cost and weight) if you have the value skill.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on June 18, 2008, 11:38:07 AM
Quote from: evil_erdlu on June 18, 2008, 08:55:57 AM

View does show you 'value' (your approximation of cost and weight) if you have the value skill.

I don't have value on my skill list, but I use it all the time for at best a rough approximation for weight. Would it be possible to have view set to where it'll show your very unskilled appraisal of an item, even though you don't have the value skill?

Q, why are you using the information value gives if you don't have the skill?  The way value works, you're not going to get any reliable information.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on June 18, 2008, 03:28:41 PM
Q, why are you using the information value gives if you don't have the skill?  The way value works, you're not going to get any reliable information.

Rough approximations, yo.

If I value object A, and it tells me it weight 2 stones.... And then value object B, and it weighs 50 stones. There might be a margin of error of about five stones, but I at least have a rough idea of which is heavier.

My understanding is..if you dont have the skill, when using value on something that weighs alot you could be told it's 2 stones, and vice versa. The approximations dont really work without the skill, or even with low skill level.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

Huh... Well that's just kinda weird. One would think your average Zalanthan would be able to get a rough idea of somethings weight without requiring haggle skills....

Using the untrained value skill isn't all that bad for determining weights. It's the other, more complex bits of information that untrained value won't show you accurately (or show you at all.) Anyone can guesstimate weight.

Yeah.... Guesstimating weight before spending lots of 'sid on armor that winds up heavier than my character would have wanted.

Plz implement?

I thought the view command in shops was perfectly good for this. I'm sure it gives you a weight, size (whether it will fit you), descriptions and other tidbits of info.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

On this same note ... could we please implement something so that when you "examine" a bag it lets you know if it's less than, half, more than half full?

As it stands, so far as I know, to get that message you have to drop the item, then pick it up off the ground again, which is a little spammy I think.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Maso on June 19, 2008, 08:14:30 AM
I thought the view command in shops was perfectly good for this. I'm sure it gives you a weight, size (whether it will fit you), descriptions and other tidbits of info.

As was said earlier, this is only when you have the value command in your skill list. And from what I hear, value is pretty useless to anyone who isn't skilled in it, unless you're trying to get a rough idea of somethings weight. Which is what I would really like to see.

Yet again.... I spent an obscene amount of money on a piece of armor. Only to find out it was entirely too heavy to keep my encumbrance at a reasonable level.

Not a happy camper....  :(

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 25, 2008, 02:59:15 AM
Yet again.... I spent an obscene amount of money on a piece of armor. Only to find out it was entirely too heavy to keep my encumbrance at a reasonable level.

Pay closer attention to the mdescs of items before you buy them.

I have never run across a case where a piece of armour's mdesc would imply that it's any lighter than it is. If it says it's made of heavy chitin or bone, it's gonna be heavy. If it says it's made of sandcloth and leather, it'll be light. If you're watching your encumbrance so closely that one piece of armour is gonna raise it an entire level, I'm betting you bought something heavy enough that the mdesc of the item in question would clue in to how much it was gonna weigh.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on June 25, 2008, 03:46:32 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 25, 2008, 02:59:15 AM

Pay closer attention to the mdescs of items before you buy them.

I have never run across a case where a piece of armour's mdesc would imply that it's any lighter than it is. If it says it's made of heavy chitin or bone, it's gonna be heavy. If it says it's made of sandcloth and leather, it'll be light. If you're watching your encumbrance so closely that one piece of armour is gonna raise it an entire level, I'm betting you bought something heavy enough that the mdesc of the item in question would clue in to how much it was gonna weigh.

I guess it's 'cause I'm still catching on to the finer points of the game, but I'm not quite to where I can look at an item and guesstimate at it's weight by its description alone.

???