IG Time-stamped Biographies

Started by Incognito, June 02, 2008, 02:46:10 PM

I'd like to suggest a modification to the biography feature:

While its great to be able to record biographies from an ooc standing, it would be very useful to also have an IG timeline or chronology for PCs.

Maybe an option to the biography command like:
add biotime Was recruited by Sergeant Amos of the T'zai Byn.
Ok.
Your chronological biography has been added.

And a command to see the PC's lifelong chronology, maybe with another command like:
Timeline
OK.
The 224th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Year of Suk-Krath's Anger, year 43 of the 21st Age: Was recruited by Sergeant Amos of the T'zai Byn.

IMO, this'll help a great deal for players to record their life's events datewise, and then later review them.

It'd also help people to keep track of when they paid other people, or received payments from other people, or topped up the rent on their housings etc etc.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I like it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Hot.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

June 02, 2008, 03:45:47 PM #3 Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:49:15 PM by Morgenes
Actually, the existing bio entries could be converted to show the Zalanthas time they were written, shouldn't be to hard to have a switch or something to show it either way.

The main issue would be the wordiness of the formatting.  That's a real mouthful.  Maybe something like:

1 [224th Ascending Sun, Year 43, 21st Age] Was recruited by Sergeant Amos of the T'zai Byn.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on June 02, 2008, 03:45:47 PM
Actually, the existing bio entries could be converted to show the Zalanthas time they were written, shouldn't be to hard to have a switch or something to show it either way.

The main issue would be the wordiness of the formatting.  That's a real mouthful.  Maybe something like:

1 [224th Ascending Sun, Year 43, 21st Age] Was recruited by Sergeant Amos of the T'zai Byn.

I like the idea of a separate "chronology" entry, rather than timestamping the more wordy "traditional" biography entry.

The chronology could be a concise set of Zalanthanian dates. Certain entries could even be automated, such as date of the character's entry into the world, joining, promotions, demotions and leaving within clans, date of death, and so forth.

With the "traditional" biography entry, I often don't write it until several or even many days after the event occured. Also, I sometimes combine events into a bit of story. I'd rather retain that freedom.
Lunch makes me happy.

I agree with Salt Merchant. It would be really cool to have the timeline idea separate from the usual bio. It would just be really cool to view a timeline like that, I think. And it helps relate your character to the history timeline of Zalanthas as a whole.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Best idea that I've seen recently.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Zoltan and Salt Merchant get the gist:

The basic idea was to keep the current biography format as it is, which players use to record their interpretations of things that their PCs are going through, including feelings, thoughts, events etc, which may or may not be IG time related.

The timeline or chronology feature would be an independant, bare-boned IG date-wise list.

If the length or the formatting is an issue, it could be restricted to a certain number of characters (excluding the automated time-stamp, of course). Say 50 to 80 characters?

PS: Morgenes: the date within the square bracketting looks cool, didnt think of that :)
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

It might also insert the date in the first or last line of the biography, if we wanted to avoid clutter on the headers.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I want to shamelessly bump this back to the forefront, as I've always wanted this idea to happen...

:)
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Yeah, I like it. Would be a bit annoying to code, though.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I think the Timeline idea is a much better idea than specifically adding the time in the bio. Only because I often write my bios for a few days before I actually put them in Arm. Sure, the time would be ROUGHLY equivalent, but at least a timeline would be nice. Perhaps a bit of a fluff piece, but I agree seeing "Joined the Byn" and "Entire unit was decimated" and "Became sergeant of another unit" all in a timeline to see how it happened, at the end.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

God, yes please.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Grebber's Log: 1 5 4 of Descending. Sun. Year 51 point 21.

I have been, hunting, in, the, sands now for, what, seems, like, an eternity. Come across some, interesting, and, previously unknown, species!

Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on April 11, 2009, 08:10:45 PM

I have been, hunting, in, the, sands now for, what, seems, like, an eternity. Come across some, interesting, and, previously unknown, species!

LMFAO!  Well done, Bushranger.  Well done.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Captain James T Kirk does Zalanthas, Star trek the new movie?
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

A timeline in addition to Bios would be AWESOME.

Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

April 13, 2009, 10:26:23 PM #18 Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:29:40 PM by SMuz
Yeah, I think it would be cool if separate from bios. There's so many minor, but interesting things I don't log in my bio and wouldn't want to clog up the bio.
[Day 12] Found a nice sword on a table.
[Day 14] Sword belonged to Amos. Killed him in the ensuing fight.
[Day 15] Amos's best friend tried to kill me.
[Day 18] Accidentally broke the sword when I tried to junk my mug.
[Day 19] Amos's best friend said sorry and bought me a drink.
[Day 19] Ahh.. the painnnn..

I wouldn't even bother to note any of those in the bio, but they answer a lot of questions about how the char died and what happened to the sword.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Kol on April 12, 2009, 04:13:37 PM

More like Grebber Amos "Tea" Dirk
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on April 14, 2009, 05:37:03 AM
Quote from: Kol on April 12, 2009, 04:13:37 PM

More like Grebber Amos "Tea" Dirk

LMFAO, love it.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."