Open pack: You feel too relaxed.

Started by Qzzrbl, May 31, 2008, 04:00:25 PM

Mmmkay.  So rest is no different than sit, except with more recovery, is what you're saying.

So then...my contribution to this thread...is fix the 'broken' rest message that bothers people, and otherwise keep commands the same.  Happy?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I always viewed rest as a more laid back form of relaxation. Like, if your sitting your still alert, ready to spring to your feet at a moments notice. But if your relaxing maybe it should take you a little longer to clamber up.

I do think you should be able to open containers on your person while relaxing. Even if it automatically made you sit up to do it.

There's also another thread floating around about -resting- in shady areas and such and having a random chance of dozing off. Maybe something else to tweak on the infinite list of shit the player base wants tweaked.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

I've always seen 'rest' as one step away from a sleeping position, without your eyes closed. If you had a pack, it would probably make a very good cushion to 'rest' back against. My solution is to sit your lazy ass up and open your pack, or quit resting in general. I see no need for change.

Still, I don't know about anyone else, but I've been laying back and half asleep and was still perfectly capable of opening a backpack without changing my position in any way.

QuoteStill, I don't know about anyone else, but I've been laying back and half asleep and was still perfectly capable of opening a backpack without changing my position in any way.

But while opening your backpack, you were shifting, moving, and essentially no longer 'at rest', even if you could instantly return to 'at rest' when it was finished.  *continues to argue pointlessly as devil's advocate*
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I say just change the wording to: You settle down, and rest your tired bones.

Then we can all assume you're laying prone.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Cognitive dissonance sure is funny.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Armaddict on June 02, 2008, 02:30:02 AM
QuoteStill, I don't know about anyone else, but I've been laying back and half asleep and was still perfectly capable of opening a backpack without changing my position in any way.

But while opening your backpack, you were shifting, moving, and essentially no longer 'at rest', even if you could instantly return to 'at rest' when it was finished.  *continues to argue pointlessly as devil's advocate*

Try this one day. Go lay down on your bed, and put a backpack on your belly..... Then open it. And as for most Zalanthans laying ontop of their pack, I don't really see this happening. I just don't see most Zalanthan backpacks being all that comfortable to lay on. Because most backpacks I've noticed are full of salt. Or mined obsidian. Or knives. Or live gurths. 

June 02, 2008, 11:44:06 AM #33 Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:29:20 PM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Mood on June 02, 2008, 11:24:45 AM

And so was your being mistaken for a woman.  ;D

::EDIT:: Fixed.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 02, 2008, 11:44:06 AM
Quote from: Mood on June 02, 2008, 11:24:45 AM

And so is you being mistaken for a woman.  ;D

No. That was funny, but no longer is.

June 03, 2008, 08:07:48 PM #35 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:30:05 AM by Greve

I like to rest my "tired" bones.

They're achy to.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

I'm with Armaddict.  Resting is a position between sitting and sleeping.  Resting is NOT sitting.  If you want to be able to root around in your backpack, sit up like a real person would.  Just change the echo (as has already been mentioned) so that it doesn't say 'sit down' when the rest command is used.  Campaigning for a change in what the code allows would be ridiculous, but fixing what I consider a typo would not be.  Stop being lazy as a player.  Type a three-letter command before going through your pack, and then a four-letter command afterwards.  If you have a problem with the echo, campaign to get that changed as suggested.  My suggestion for a change is:  "You lie down and rest."
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on June 04, 2008, 06:00:52 AM
If you want to be able to root around in your backpack, sit up like a real person would. 

That's the thing. I, as a real person, am perfectly capable of laying on my back and unzipping a backpack laying beside me, or on my chest, without shifting my position in any real way. Without sitting up. Am I the only person here who can perform this amazing feat of acrobatics?  ???

If the backback is actually being worn on the back, then I can understand the need for sitting up. Otherwise, I just can't wrap my little brain around it.

I can sure unzip a pocket while laying down.  Get something out of my backpack worn on my back?  Maybe not.

But if I have a drawstring bag in my hands, and I'm lying down... there's no reason why I can't operate the drawstring and get something out of my bag.  Worn things, maybe not.  But things in inventory, you should be able to open whenever.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Here's the issue I have:  IRL it is -not- difficult to open and close containers while you are resting.

Seriously, it just isn't.  Try laying on the couch and opening an backpack in your inventory (in your arms, or sitting beside the couch).  Simple, wasn't it?

It is, however, difficult to impossible to rummage within a container worn on your back while it is being worn -and- you are resting.  This, however, is perfectly possible with the code.  Not only can you do it, but you can do it with unfailing accuracy and speed.  Travel cake in the bottom of your hiking pack, buried under clothing and six hides, NO PROBLEM!

Perhaps the code should be changed so that opening and closing items is not so difficult when resting, but accessing contents has a significant delay?  Perhaps objects worn on your back should be entirely inaccessible (when resting or just all the time)?

Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Quote from: spawnloser on June 04, 2008, 06:00:52 AM
Resting is NOT sitting.

Quote from: Ginka>sit
You SIT DOWN and rest your tired bones.

The code says... you're wrong!
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Agent_137 on June 04, 2008, 07:23:51 PM
this thread has gotten really f'ing stupid.

Hi, welcome to the internet.

You must be new here.

Can we see your man boobies Mood?

!
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: musashi on June 04, 2008, 09:05:13 PM
Can we see your man boobies Mood?

Damn.

LOL
Why do all of my threads degenerate into this. v~v

Blame Mood.  I do.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen