Hit vs. Kill

Started by HaiWolfe, April 28, 2003, 06:58:50 PM

While browsing the helpfiles earlier, I came across these entries:

QuoteKILL                                                               (Combat)

This command causes your character to attempt to slay the named person.
In all respects except for special circumstances, it is identical to the
hit command. The named person must be in the same room, and must be visible
to your character.

QuoteHIT                                                                (Combat)

This command will cause your character to attempt to strike the named
person, presumably with the intention of doing harm. The hit command
differs from the kill (q.v.) command only under special circumstances, and
the two can normally be used interchangeably.

So just what are these special circumstances that differentiate the two commands?  Just curious.

The difference lies in rooms with the brawl code. As far as I know this code only exists in the tavern in Red Storm Village. Where the militia will kill you for fighting in the streets, or using weapons, but in the tavern fist fights are overlooked.

When you "hit" a creature while hunting (no idea if this works with humanoid NPCs too) in some cases you will stop just before they are dead, leaving a "such and such lies here mortally wounded, on the verge of death" or whatnot. When you type kill, you don't show this mercy to them.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Although, if you want to leave something alive, you can always use "Mercy on" as well.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

I don't know, myself I just use hit in sparring, and kill elsewhere, just... something I do, don't think it has much difference though aside where noted.

Crymerci, actually no - since when I type in kill with my warrior while fighting any sort of animal I (almost always) leave the animal or person lying mortally wounded or stunned. And no, I do not have mercy on.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

I dimly recall doing this once (it may have been imaginary, or a dream):
If someone is subdued, unconscious, or unable to retaliate for some other reason, if you 'hit' them you will attack once with each weapon or fist, and if you 'kill' them you will attack until their death.