Safe to quit mounted?

Started by racingspider, April 28, 2008, 02:54:32 PM

Hi,
Loving the game, and have a question. In the stables, you can 'quit' there. So, I did that and when I came back, it took a little while for my mount to appear and it kinda worried me (since it wasn't there when I entered).
Is it safe to quit in the stables or was I lucky on getting my mount back? I understand how to rent, but if I'm quitting for a few hours and plan on riding back out I don't want to waste the paltry 20 sid it costs (just starting out, gots to save the money! :D ).

I feel somewhat responsible for starting this whole "lets talk about mounts and quitting trend"  ::)

But I think ... think ... you should be able to quit out with the mount hitch to you and have it there when you come back in a stable. But I'm no expert ...
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

If you and your mount can get into a QUIT room together, you can quit out there together.

Make absolutely certain that your mount is hitched to you before you do so.  I always hitch and mount it before I quit out in a stable.  Doing it this way, when you log back into the game, you'll be on your mount, but it will no longer be hitched.  Rehitch it and go on your merry way.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

I took about a 9 month break from the game, and this seems new and foreign to me.

Why and when were stables made quit rooms?

Another idle mount/crash related question popped into my head. Sometimes you can leave the room your mount is in without having them become "unhitched". For example, if you make the mount rest then go somewhere using the "enter <this place>" syntax, or if you just dismount and go east into a room the mount can't follow. Going any further than one room away always unhitches the mount, but you generally have a little wiggle room.

So, if the game crashed, and you were one room away but the mount was still hitched to you ... would it be there when you got back? Anyone ever have this happen?

You must be in the same room.
Or wave BYEBYE to the mount.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on May 15, 2008, 05:22:11 AM
You must be in the same room.
Or wave BYEBYE to the mount.

:'(

Thanks.

May 15, 2008, 07:10:37 AM #7 Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:18:27 AM by Spoon
Wait a minute... you can quit in stables with your mount and avoid stable fees?

How did this one slip through?

Or are people paying for virtual stable time with virtual money?

Quote from: Spoon on May 15, 2008, 07:10:37 AM

I think that being able to quit in the stables with your mount is more of a convienence for the players. To me, it seems like that would come in handy for a non-ranger if they had perhaps logged in, all ready to go hunting or do something outside, but then RL struck and they had to quit for about 20 minutes. In such a situation I think it's nice to be able to avoid having to pay the stable fee again.

But if you're playing a city-dwelling role I don't think there is a lot of benefit to be gained from being able to keep your mount around at all times. It can't follow you into shops, it can't follow you into buildings, and leaving it unhitched outside of those buildings leaves you running the risk of the animal being stolen by the first thieving necker to come along.

To me, it seems like rangers who spend all their time outdoors and want to quit there with their mounts already can, and for city-folk trying to drag a mount around with you everywhere you go to avoid the stable fee is going to be more trouble than the money you'll save is worth. So it seems ok to me.  :)

Quote from: Spoon on May 15, 2008, 07:10:37 AM

This may not apply to your stables of choice.

If the room's a quit room, anyone can quit there.  Some stables may be quit rooms.

Alternatively, there may be other quit rooms one can ride or lead a mount into.

Try this one at home! :p