Playing instruments ...

Started by musashi, April 26, 2008, 04:26:42 AM

This a coded skill or up to a person to emote?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

This is a roleplayed skill.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I am so buying a guitar in game   8)

Quote from: musashi on April 26, 2008, 12:38:25 PM
I am so buying a guitar in game   8)

Works better if you take one length of sinew and jab it in the eye of an Elkros magicker and stick the other end of it to your wooden guitar.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

All this time I've been trying to twink out my mandolin skills.... shit.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I just have to say ... one of the key points that puts Armageddon above any other mud is the presence of guitars. Not just frickin lutes.

War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 26, 2008, 06:58:15 PM
We should have bagpipes...

Your avatar frightens me ...

Quote from: Yam on April 26, 2008, 10:24:02 PM
TECHNO VIKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to app this character.

The muscle-bound, goatee-braided man dances jerkily down the street to a funky house beat, an entourage of commoners follows him, some dancing as well.

;D

I would follow you over even the Shield Wall if you did this.

IG Techno Viking cult. GO!
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 26, 2008, 11:36:56 PM
Quote from: Yam on April 26, 2008, 10:24:02 PM
TECHNO VIKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to app this character.

The muscle-bound, goatee-braided man dances jerkily down the street to a funky house beat, an entourage of commoners follows him, some dancing as well.

Sonofagun beat me to it!
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

(eyeing the derailers with disdain) Ahem... returning to the question at hand...
Quote from: musashi on April 26, 2008, 04:26:42 AM
This a coded skill or up to a person to emote?
Many instruments have a way to make them do something without you emoting it, but I never use such a function so I am not sure if it is the 'use' command... however, I think it is.

Now, normally, this is up to the person to emote.  However, unless your character has a DAMNED good reason to start off as a virtuoso, don't emote them playing perfectly.  It isn't a coded skill, but you and I both know that it is a skill... and to use mud terms, would be called a 'virtual skill.'  Good roleplaying would have your character not be perfect at all instruments straight out of the gate.  Maybe good at one, but still not perfect, while being tolerable at best with the rest... so you roleplay practicing with these other instruments, etc etc ad nauseum pork chops.  Eventually the character can become a master bard.  Yay!  Yeah, just don't start with the perfection of a master bard, like most people do... please, just don't do it.

Oh, and another thing... please don't make your character the epitome of grace and beauty either, just because you're a bard.  Most bard characters are, to use a term I do really dislike using, F-me's... male or female.  They are nearly all beautiful, graceful and put on more airs than nobles.

Seriously, play a bard that makes mistakes when singing/playing/dancing.  Play a bard that makes judgment errors, playing the wrong song for the crowd... get boo'd off stage once.  It's fun.

I once played a bard that was so much fun... a mutant, magicker bard in Allanak.  I intentionally made errors, playing songs that people wouldn't like because this character thought people should like the song whether they actually did or not.  It was terribly fun, really.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I don't play a bard, I just want to play cowboy songs when I'm camping in the grasslands  ::)

Even better.  You're not a bard, so don't play your guitar perfect.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.