How would I know if my char can pick that up?

Started by racingspider, April 24, 2008, 01:35:35 PM

My character wants to buy something, but:
he has poor strength
and the thing weighs 82 stones (so its heavy!)

If I attempt to buy it will it say "you can't carry that" or... what will happen?

I'm pretty sure you can buy it, but you might not be able to MOVE with it.  You might try and invite a friend along on your purchasing trip to help you drag your thing to wherever it's going.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Yeah, I think when you purchase something, it goes into your inventory whether or not you'd really be able to pick it up otherwise.   So you'll have it, but your encumberance might suddenly go to INSANELY HEAVY, and taking one step with it will drain your stamina.  Also, if you're so weak and the item is so heavy, you should be careful about when/where you set it down after you buy it, because you might not be able to pick it up again.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

April 24, 2008, 02:35:42 PM #3 Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:38:23 PM by Inertial Inix
Quote from: slipshod on April 24, 2008, 01:44:43 PM
So you'll have it, but your encumberance might suddenly go to INSANELY HEAVY, and taking one step with it will drain your stamina.  Also, if you're so weak and the item is so heavy, you should be careful about when/where you set it down after you buy it, because you might not be able to pick it up again.

Likewise:
> get cistern
> cast 'mon un waterdu fillum up' cistern

Come to think of it, I believe you can get the same effect mudanely with 'fill cup watersource; pour cup into cistern.'

If you buy it it will go straight into your inventory, but you will seriously struggle to walk anywhere if it is too heavy and will probably have to rest a -lot-. Also, if you put it down you won't be able to pick it up again.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

And if you do walk away with it, be careful where you set it down to catch your breath.  A tiny street urchin might just hoist it up and make off with it.  Seriously.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on April 24, 2008, 03:21:04 PM
And if you do walk away with it, be careful where you set it down to catch your breath.  A tiny street urchin might just hoist it up and make off with it.  Seriously.

A staff-animated street urchin looks at you with shifty eyes.
A staff-animated street urchin gives you his massive stone cistern.
A staff-animated street urchin says, helpfully, in sirihish,
  "Didn't want nobody runnin' off with that, like, sir."

Serving suggestion. Inspired by a true story. Any similarity to actual NPCs or staff members is purely coincidental.

A woman says to you, in sirihish:
  "You've still got my bag. Give it to me."

Near the woman's feet, you drop a bag.

The NPC picks a bag up.

Shaking his head and passing it over, the now-animated NPC gives you a bag.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

How about sitting on a rug when the NPC picks up the rug?  That was kinda trippy.  Then I stood up and got a message like, "You stand up from ~."
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on April 25, 2008, 05:04:24 AM
How about sitting on a rug when the NPC picks up the rug?  That was kinda trippy.  Then I stood up and got a message like, "You stand up from ~."

Oh ya, haven't posted about this here.  I've got a fix in that will stop scavengers from picking up items that people are lifting or occupying (codedly sitting/resting/sleeping/standing on an item)
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

So, I just decided to buy a lighter item. hahahah.

Quote from: Morgenes on April 25, 2008, 08:30:43 AM
Oh ya, haven't posted about this here.  I've got a fix in that will stop scavengers from picking up items that people are lifting or occupying (codedly sitting/resting/sleeping/standing on an item)
May I have my socks back?  I can't find them after you rocked them.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.