An apology...to the person I ran from

Started by morrigan, April 17, 2008, 05:14:45 PM

I'd like to apologize to the person I ran from outside a certain large city. I didn't mean to run off without rping...I panicked. :( SO Sorry.

How is running away from something not RP?

It is in the right circumstances,  but I usually prefer to emote first.

April 17, 2008, 05:38:22 PM #3 Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:55:10 PM by RogueGunslinger
Caption: Arm through the eyes of a newbie.

the scrawny half-elf enters from the west.
the scrawny half-elf smiles and waves at you.
you look at the scrawny half-elf
The scrawny half-elf is in excellent condition.

<worn on head>          a helm
<worn around neck>       a collar
<primary hand>    A massive, menacing sword!!
<worn on feet>  Boots, yo

ooc: OMG PLZ DON HURTS ME!
flee self e;e;e;n;e;s;e;s;w;w;w;n;n;

To put it in kinder terms: Don't worry about it, we get what it feels like.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Those of us who are serious about raiding have wilderness stealth anyway, right?

Even I'm a victim of the "Code first, emote later" mentality when I'm outside the city. Never know what they are, or what they can do.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on April 17, 2008, 07:29:54 PM
Even I'm a victim of the "Code first, emote later" mentality when I'm outside the city. Never know what they are, or what they can do.

This is a MUD, not a MOO. Code dictates what actually happens, and emotes fill that out. So when you really, really don't want to die, run;e;e;n;n is the route to go. Emotes are REALLY nice, especially since most raiders want to have a really cool raiding scene (cool on both ends, mind you), but no-one will blame you for not stopping to emote getting tired as you scram away from the raging mek.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

On the other hand sometimes emoting in the desert can make for an awesome scene. Like my character's first encounter with an elf. Went something like:

You are here, fighting a gurth.
A desert elf enters from the east.
A desert elf looks at you, canting his head to one side.
A desert elf sits down and watches.
... ... ...
A desert elf says in allundean: You're not so good with that spear yeh?

I'd say a good rule of thumb is that if the other person sees you and immediately starts emoting, a bit of emoting first before you scream and run for your life would be nice.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

The answer is obvious.

Combine the emote with getting the heck out.

For example:

> alias ee east (with panicky motions)
> alias nn north (moving pell-mell)
etc.

then run;ee;nn;ee;ee;ee;ee;ee;nn
Lunch makes me happy.

for the love of tek, when you want to run, FUCKING RUN.

if you type "east"

you will

so and so walks east.

at least bind something like this
alias flees flee self (screaming)

Goes both ways, I reckon. Sometimes you've got the benefit of rp, sometimes taking the moment to type out

>Emote widens his eyes and turns tails, fleeing in terror.

Gives the attacker time to cast five or six spells, or bash, or look stand cast bash all in the same motion. resulting in your disadvantage.

When I see the other party is willing to go back and forth a moment before resorting to code, I'm willing to emote too. When I see that every time I try to emote results in cast/attack, I just go fuck it and resort to code.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

You people type slow.  The solution is a typing tutor!

I type about 90 wpm, in those adrenaline pumping moments, It drops down to about 30, damn fingers get shaky heh.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

I type about twenty WPM with a typo every other word. Corrections bring me down to about Five to Ten WPM.

We need a Javascript Armageddon Trainer.

A scary yellow carru has arrived from the north.
> fele
Huh?
A scary yellow carru charges at you and knocks you down!
A scary yellow carru kicks you very hard on the head...you reel from the blow!
> flee
Too slow there, buddy. Let's try this one again.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on April 18, 2008, 09:23:37 AM
We need a Javascript Armageddon Trainer.

A scary yellow carru has arrived from the north.
> fele
Huh?
A scary yellow carru charges at you and knocks you down!
A scary yellow carru kicks you very hard on the head...you reel from the blow!
> flee
Too slow there, buddy. Let's try this one again.

LOL...I like it. Though after 11 years of mudding, the small words like flee seem to be reflexive for me. I type them so fast that they come out more like 1 keystroke than the four they actually are :p

Y'know, I really do like the idea of an OOC "helper area" where people can learn the intricacies of emoting, combat, etc.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on April 18, 2008, 11:04:23 AM
Y'know, I really do like the idea of an OOC "helper area" where people can learn the intricacies of emoting, combat, etc.

So long as that place is COMPLETELY OOC - people can log in there in a guest shell with average stats, just choosing sex and race, and learn while waiting for their applications to be accepted.

Actually, now I'm really excited about this, because an OOC tutor area that people can use while they wait would probably be a GREAT help for newbie retention. And we'd have old players cycling through to help all the time, because older players have to wait for apps, too.

Gimf, read this thread!

I read everything :D

There's been a lot of conversation / discussion / argument in the past over having any kind of OOC area for training...newbie school...whatever you want to call it. Personally I'm in favor of having something more than what we have now (which is nothing at all), but it's a complex question. I do believe that just dumping newbs into the MUD with no time for practice is overly daunting; I remember quite clearly wishing I had some way to practice.

brytta mentioned maybe working up a Javascript tool for practicing emoting; that would be something, at least, and do-able just from a web page. Perhaps we should put that on our growing list of projects :D
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

If I didnt have an experienced player helping me IRL. Explaining a 'lot' of things. I would've probably never made it. A newbie school would really be a big asset for the mud.

The Shadows of Isildur "guest lounge" has some nice features and I would not mind seeing something of a similar nature in Armageddon.

I think we should all be in it for the good time. I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt, most of the time, it works out and there is a very tense, "Are they going to make the first move, or me?" moments, but sometimes, when you've been following a sorc, you just have to run when he comes back at you.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

protip: when going out in the wastes for extended amounts of time, come up with an 'oh shit' emote, like–

>emote Completely startled, @ snaps up his things in a hurry and quickly dashes off.

Then cut it. If you get panicked and feel the need to do some e;s;e;s or whatever, the explanation of your exit is at least only a ctrl-v away.

I must've run into Musashi.. I've had characters who've done something similar a million times , oft starting from watching some new hunter try out their trade in my territory..
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

An elf has entered the room.

An elf looks at you.

You stand up and grasp at the reigns of your kank while drawing a small bone scimitar from your belt.

An elf hitches a green-scaled inix.

An elf runs east.

A green-scaled inix runs east.

An arrow comes in from the west and strikes you in the neck!

I get code things taken care of first when interacting with an unknown. Especially if I am attached to that particular character.

It's kind of like defensive driving.

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on April 18, 2008, 06:25:22 PM
I must've run into Musashi.. I've had characters who've done something similar a million times , oft starting from watching some new hunter try out their trade in my territory..

Could be ... could be ...  ;)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

To the OP: don't feel bad man, I lost a couple of very dear to me characters because I was trying to enrich the scene by emoting. Yeah I enriched the scene for the spam-killer.... Not to say I would switch sides and spam only, but that kind of experience embitters you a bit.

Quote from: jstorrie on April 18, 2008, 02:03:02 PM
protip: when going out in the wastes for extended amounts of time, come up with an 'oh shit' emote, like–

>emote Completely startled, @ snaps up his things in a hurry and quickly dashes off.

Then cut it. If you get panicked and feel the need to do some e;s;e;s or whatever, the explanation of your exit is at least only a ctrl-v away.

Heh I use that for a lot of things! I might be just about to hit "enter" when telling the "tall" man something, when some -other- tall guy comes into the room, and is looking specifically for me. So I have to put what I was gonna say aside to the first guy, and I cut it. That way I won't have to retype it later when I'm done dealing with the second guy.

ctrl-x - ctrl-v is my pal!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I tend to play in the Rinth quite a bit and this is a place where alot of people just spam kill. I personally have never just hauled off on another PC in there without reason (a good reason at that). I really like to emote and make the scene more dynamic especially when I know I'm the stronger of the PC's in the area. I also hate when people just run too, but I can see why they do.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.