Moving items in bulk?

Started by Majikal, April 15, 2008, 02:21:46 AM

Just an idea I had. Watching people move a shit-ton of things from one chest to another, or from their pack to their quiver etc. Would be kinda neat to have a bulky movements command that would reduce the page and a half of spam you get when someone takes the 30 feathers they got out hunting and tosses them into his sack back home or whatever. Could even be used to pass bulk items over to another player, up to the limit they could hold. Pretty simple, would work off a keyword and target everything in the container/table with that keyword.

Example.

looking in a lootbag you see:
many colorful feathers
a few black feathers

count feather lootbag
you count 28 feathers

move feather lootbag chest
You move many colorful feathers from a lootbag to a simple wooden chest
You move a few black feathers from a lootbag to a simple wooden chest

or if say the chest if partially full and can't hold them all.

move feather lootbag chest
Moving as many as you can, you move a few colorful feathers from a lootbag to a simple wooden chest.

Shown to others as:
Moving as many as he/she/it can, soandso moves a few colorful feathers from a lootbag to a simple wooden chest.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

That would be awesome.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Even if "pour" could be turned into a -more- targettable command...

The room has a bunch of things in it.
Also here is 3.box which looks exactly like box and 2.box, except it's the third, this particular game reset.

Inv: You have a bag in your inventory, and it has a whole lot of different things in it, in multiples.

think I want to just put -only- the feathers in that third box over there, but not the guts. But there's so many, whatever shall I do!

pour*feather bag 3.box

You dump only the feathers, and only as many will fit, from your bag to the third box. Everything else in your bag remains in the bag, including whatever feathers wouldn't fit.

look in 3.box

You see all the stuff that was there, plus a few feathers.
look in bag
You see a bunch of stuff, including some feathers that were there before!

think OMG it works! I am teh wewt-meist0rz!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'd like to see one of those options.
Amor Fati

Whatever happened to get all?

like...get all bag.

Maybe that could be altered to get all.feather bag

Quote from: path on April 15, 2008, 11:22:23 AM

like...get all bag.

I've seen that in action on other muds, but it would still entail going through the process of taking all you could carry out and putting it all in something else, then taking all you could carry out again etc etc. Would be nicer to just be able to plonk it all in.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

When you're transferring 300 kalan fruits from your grocery bag to the shelf, that's not much improvement. ;)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Maso on April 15, 2008, 11:30:30 AM

like...get all bag.

I've seen that in action on other muds, but it would still entail going through the process of taking all you could carry out and putting it all in something else, then taking all you could carry out again etc etc. Would be nicer to just be able to plonk it all in.

Quote from: codebrief get all
get all feathers lotbag
put all feather chest

Great Idea and you'll still only be able to carry how much stuff you would normally be able to carry because that how it'd be if you where moving that many items.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

April 15, 2008, 07:41:21 PM #9 Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:44:19 PM by Lizzie
If I have a bag filled with kalan fruits, I am -not- going to pull them out one at a time until my hands are full, just so I can them place them on a shelf. I am going to dump the bag over, spilling the contents out onto the shelf. That would be the "realistic" way of doing it. At home I most definitely don't pull bundles of apples out of the grocery bag with my hands, and transplant them to the bowl. I dump the bag over, and let the apples fall out into the bowl. It's not that hard, in real life. It is not possible, in the game.

The problem with "get all" is that it still pulls out each item one at a time, until you can't carry anymore. So if you can only carry 8 feathers, and you have 24 feathers in the bag, it would look like this:

get all.feathers bag
You get a feather from the bag.
You can't carry any more.

put feather bag
You put a feather in the bag.
put feather bag
You put a feather in the bag.
(and so on, 3 times in a row for 24 feathers. Now imagine if you have 80 feathers)

The point of the group/bundling is more to dump specific things, from somewhere, to somewhere else. It doesn't necessarily require that you take the items out one at a time. It's a time-saver, meant to imply that you have taken them out already, and went through the process of putting them somewhere. So they would be in box 1, then they'd be in box 2, without you having to actually codedly remove them from box 1, and actually codedly place them in box 2 as a separate step. It would be all just one nice neat step.

The only drawback for that would be the loss of ability to steal from you, for the few seconds you spend spam-entering "get feather bag" until your inventory is full. Because the items would never actually go through your inventory.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Especially useful for those of us who are cursed with shitty agility.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

If I have a bag filled with kalan fruits, I am -not- going to pull them out one at a time until my hands are full, just so I can them place them on a shelf. I am going to dump the bag over, spilling the contents out onto the shelf. That would be the "realistic" way of doing it. At home I most definitely don't pull bundles of apples out of the grocery bag with my hands, and transplant them to the bowl. I dump the bag over, and let the apples fall out into the bowl. It's not that hard, in real life. It is not possible, in the game.

Like... Seriously?  I totally take each fruit and individually place it into the bowl.  They get bruised otherwise.

The problem with "get all" is that it still pulls out each item one at a time, until you can't carry anymore. So if you can only carry 8 feathers, and you have 24 feathers in the bag, it would look like this:

[unnecessary spam edited out]

The point of the group/bundling is more to dump specific things, from somewhere, to somewhere else. It doesn't necessarily require that you take the items out one at a time. It's a time-saver, meant to imply that you have taken them out already, and went through the process of putting them somewhere. So they would be in box 1, then they'd be in box 2, without you having to actually codedly remove them from box 1, and actually codedly place them in box 2 as a separate step. It would be all just one nice neat step.

Well, I don't think you should be able to instantly move mass numbers of objects, personally.

The only drawback for that would be the loss of ability to steal from you, for the few seconds you spend spam-entering "get feather bag" until your inventory is full. Because the items would never actually go through your inventory.

I don't see why a "move" or "pour" command would necessarily negate the step of having an item in your inventory.  For many items it would make sense to move it into your hands before into the next container.

However, the -spam- aspect of "get all" could be fixed with some creative parsing...

>get all.kalan bag

You get a few blue-fleshed kalan fruit from a large bag.

See... Isn't that purty?

If you still want to make things more complicated without introducing more (unnecessary) commands, we could easily utilize a colon to indicate containers and allow for a "nested" version of "put" as indicated below:

>put all.feather:bag 2.chest

You begin moving many stiff white feathers from a large bag into a simple wooden chest.

Would something like that be sufficient?
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

I guess I'm in the middle of the road on this one. I would like to cut down on the spam associated with moving lots of objects from one container to another, but at the same time I don't want it to be something that can be done instantly. Perhaps it could be something like a command that will move all of the objects from one container to another, but there is a delay timer set so that it takes a moment to complete ...
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on April 16, 2008, 05:56:49 AM
I guess I'm in the middle of the road on this one. I would like to cut down on the spam associated with moving lots of objects from one container to another, but at the same time I don't want it to be something that can be done instantly. Perhaps it could be something like a command that will move all of the objects from one container to another, but there is a delay timer set so that it takes a moment to complete ...

Agree, something similar to someone using a keyring I imagine.

So and so begins moving shit from here to there
[10 second delay or whatever]
So and so dumps all the shit from here into there
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I could see just dumping the whole chest into a different chest not taking very much time at all.  Anything else should have a delay associate with it.

Really, how much time should it take me to dump my bag of Newly!Foraged rocks into my Massive Container of Materials?
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen