'Forage' Question

Started by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit, April 12, 2008, 05:31:05 PM

If you're foraging for something, and after a few tries you fail to come up with anything, and you get a prompt saying something to the effect of:
'Type 'help forage' to get a list of things that can be foraged for.'
Is that the game's subtle way of telling you that the thing you're looking for cannot reasonably be found in that area?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Yes.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I think it's the coded way of telling you that the thing you are trying to forage can't be found by that name anywhere in the game. It's saying, "check this list, and try "forage <word on the list>" instead."

So, maybe forage ginseng won't work, but forage roots will. Or forage walnut won't work, but forage wood will.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 12, 2008, 06:04:26 PM
I think it's the coded way of telling you that the thing you are trying to forage can't be found by that name anywhere in the game. It's saying, "check this list, and try "forage <word on the list>" instead."

So, maybe forage ginseng won't work, but forage roots will. Or forage walnut won't work, but forage wood will.

I don't think thats it, I think it is room by room, because I have foraged for stone in one room and had that message, yet forage for it in a different one and gotten results.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Exactly.

You can get the message with viable options.

I assume it means you can't find that material in the room you are currently in, but I don't know.

Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense...
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

I've never gotten that message. I've gotten only success, or "You can't find any rocks in this area" or "You search carefully around and find no rocks." Or something like that. If the item I'm looking for isn't in the room, OR I don't have enough skill to find it yet, I'd get the first message. If I have enough skill, but failed on that attempt, I'd get the second message. If I have enough skill, and succeed, I'd succeed.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think it means there isn't anything like that in the room. It's odd though, I agree.