Throat Singing For Zalanthas?

Started by Qzzrbl, April 11, 2008, 09:20:11 PM

April 11, 2008, 09:20:11 PM Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:23:06 PM by Qzzrbl
I stumbled upon Tuvan throat singing quite by accident in my many ventures throughout the deep and dark tubes of the internets. And I figured it would be neat to see something like it in Armageddon. So here with you I share it.  ;D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TVyyhHFKI8E
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6vkejOp9wOc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DY1pcEtHI_w&feature=related
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throat_singing

How.. Would you describe that?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I dunno, it's kinda creepy.  If some bard in Zalanthas started doing that I think someone might go "WTF?  Magicker!" and then there'd be a riot or something.

April 12, 2008, 01:10:14 PM #3 Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 01:12:55 PM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Marauder Moe on April 12, 2008, 12:34:04 PM
I dunno, it's kinda creepy.  If some bard in Zalanthas started doing that I think someone might go "WTF?  Magicker!" and then there'd be a riot or something.

I was thinking it could be a tribal thing.

-shrug-

Just throwing the idea out there. ^^

Throat singing halflings anyone?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 12, 2008, 01:10:14 PM

-shrug-

Throat-singing halflings is a really cool and extremely eerie idea. I have two objections, one serius, both of which could be overcome with plausible handwaving.

The first being that throat-singing requires a vocal structure that, given their physiology and language, I'm reticent to say halflings have.

The second: their throats are too full of passing travelers for them to sing.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on April 12, 2008, 01:28:38 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 12, 2008, 01:10:14 PM

-shrug-

Throat-singing halflings is a really cool and extremely eerie idea. I have two objections, one serius, both of which could be overcome with plausible handwaving.

The first being that throat-singing requires a vocal structure that, given their physiology and language, I'm reticent to say halflings have.

The second: their throats are too full of passing travelers for them to sing.

Frist: I could see human tribals doing something like this, as human tribals made it up and used it IRL ;D

Second: HAH!

The difficulty still stands as far as how to describe it. As was raised above, it might be mistaken by the ignorant (or the knowledgeable) as a magickal rite, but far from seeing that as an impediment of its implementation, I see it as a benefit. 'tis supposed to be scary anyhow.

Can someone try writing a text-wise description that would get across the central idea to someone who'd never heard it before? I know I can't.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Richard Feynman always wanted to go to Tuva.

The skinny, dark fellow emites a few gutteral sounds to keep a beat to the guitar he is playing.

That is really all I got for that.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: Maybe42or54 on April 13, 2008, 10:31:20 PM
The skinny, dark fellow emites a few gutteral sounds to keep a beat to the guitar he is playing.

That is really all I got for that.

The skinny, darkly-skinned fellow emits a sustained, guttural note, droning over the simple tune of his guitar.

The skinny, darkly-skinned fellow holds the deep, raspy note constant while an eerie, high pitched overtone makes itself readily apparent along side it.

Come on, work with me.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwANedEkqaY [Actual performance of throat singing, better ones than in previous links.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ2OWQfCFiA&feature=related [This guy is casting a freaking spell....]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6LwoXma_X0&feature=related [Co-Op spellcasting anyone?]

Still.... There is that one issue with describing the sounds properly....

I have been working on a bard concept for a couple of months (that I still don't plan on playing for a while, hopefully).
I think this would go great for him... although the emotes will take a lot of work and thought.

Maybe... maybe not.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

On another note...Didgeridoos anyone?
Free your hate.

Quote from: Nile on February 03, 2009, 05:23:11 AM

There's a Zalanthan equivalent in the game.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Quote from: Medena on February 03, 2009, 01:04:00 PM

There's a Zalanthan equivalent in the game.

Fook yeah. Now I need to track it down.
Free your hate.

holy crap that guy freaked me out! :o
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

I had a didgeridoo, one time..

I couldn't pay the handling fee for transporting it back to the States..

I think of it, often, and fondly.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on February 03, 2009, 11:17:18 PM

I had a didgeridoo, one time..

I couldn't pay the handling fee for transporting it back to the States..

I think of it, often, and fondly.

Your mom couldn't pay the handling fee for my didgeridoo.

I bet she still thinks of it often, and fondly.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

The problem here is that Zalanthian music has already been defined to be quite western. It approximates what we think music was like in the olden days. There's nothing wrong with this, but I don't think it'd jive to suddenly toss in musical forms from completely unrelated cultures.
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

February 25, 2009, 12:24:12 AM #20 Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:25:50 AM by DustMight
Can't you simply listen to it and figure out how to describe it?

Also, there are several websites that go into Tuvan throat singing in a good bit of detail.

One of my favorite urban-tuvan fusion pieces is "Mountain Voice."

Linked to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Voice/dp/B000QPAJYG

ps:

Tisiphone, praytell what halfling physiology are you aware of that would prevent them from throat singing?  Or are you just making sh*t up?  =)  (I think you are!)

Quote from: DustMight on February 25, 2009, 12:24:12 AM

Also, there are several websites that go into Tuvan throat singing in a good bit of detail.

No, no...you have to click the link and listen.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 25, 2009, 12:25:11 AM

No, no...you have to click the link and listen.

>throw house synthesis

February 25, 2009, 11:07:09 AM #23 Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:10:38 AM by Rairen

Nope.  Trust me.  It'd require the emotional equivalent of describing sex by using words like vulva and testicles.

(Awesome links, though.)

Edit:  That was too curt.  You could probably get away with it, but it would require extreme generality - at which point, it seems like it would lose the cool factor, a la:

change ldesc stands here, practicing throat singing.

em performs with great fervor, the pitch rising and falling.

hemote gasps for air.

em taps his foot in time with the music's erratic beat.

Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?