Wearing and sheathing on your back.

Started by swordmaster, April 24, 2003, 04:11:33 PM

So do you think you should be able to sheath/wear three things on your back?

Yes
13 (27.7%)
No
7 (14.9%)
Fewer things
27 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 24, 2003, 04:11:33 PM

What do you think of being able to sheath/wear 3 things on your back so you could wear a quiver a longsword and a backpack perhaps?
et the sword be youre guide let you guide the sword.

Two, at the most. Not three.

I'd love to be able to have a separate 'sheath' and 'wear' location on the back. That way you could wear a sword and a quiver, but you can't wear two big packs stuffed full of Kryl shells.

What about one backpack max and two/one other sheathing locacation?

Well, yes, a 'wear' location would encompass a backpack, quiver, purse, whatever.

Then a separate 'sheath' location for wearing a big ass scimitar or a spear or longbow or what have you.

The problem I see with this is coding it, since it would probably be a lot of headache and mumbo-jumbo.

Adding a wear-location shouldn't be that hard.

I can see wearing one pack, and also being able to sheath one thing.

Dose everybody hate my idea? I think its great :(

We don't hate your idea; most people just think that three locations is a bit too much.  Two locations--one wear and one sheath--seems all right.

Its just illogical to assume you can wear a pack, and 2-3 weapons on your back. Most weapons that you can even wear on your back are large -huge. Someone with a filled pack, and a pair of battleaxes on their back's is ridiculous when you consider the weight of these usually.

A sword and a pack might be okay. Or an axe over or under your pack might be okay. Or a pack, with a shield laid over it. But more then that is just too much I think.

What about a pack that IS a shethe location?  I mean we have all these sneaky boots and packs and wrist wraps and stuff, why not ties on the outside of a pack for sheathing a spear or sword?  Or has a spot built in that holds arrows?
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Quote from: "Jenred"Its just illogical to assume you can wear a pack, and 2-3 weapons on your back. Most weapons that you can even wear on your back are large -huge. Someone with a filled pack, and a pair of battleaxes on their back's is ridiculous when you consider the weight of these usually.

On the other hand, what if the pack has straps on the outside of it - there should be room for at least two items on the outside of the pack.  Then there's also the potential room in the gap between the wearer's back and the pack - that could hold a long weapon presuming it dangles at that point.

There may also be room to put longer items vertically, in the space between the edge of the pack and the edge of your shoulder, assuming the pack doesn't take up all the width on your back, which it could - perhaps a smaller pack has room for more strapped items on the back.

However, there should be a longer time penalty for items strapped/worn on your back due to the awkward posturing you have to do to get at the item. Untying anything is a huge time penalty alone, so items tied up would be horribly expensive.

But I'd rather not see the Rambo effect, with people literally covered in weapons, front and back.

Well thats also alot different then adding 3 <back> wearlocs.

Id much rather see sheathable packs, the someone with 3 weapons hanging off their scrawny little shoulders.

Me and a friend of mine had a talk about this and came to an idea.  Why aren't there backsheathes?  Strapping a sword to your back beneath a backpack is going to make it cumbersome to draw and be very uncomfortable with a pack pressing it against your back.  So why not put in back scabbards?  Simple leather items that work similar to wrist-sheathes.  You load items into them, and draw items from them.  Then you could wear a backpack over the scabbard, and still have free motion for the blade, since it's just slipping out of leather.

It would probably work like this, equipment-slot wise.

<worn on back> backpack
<worn as scabbard> A simple, leather-thonged back-scabbard.

Or something like that.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I was thinking, there should be a spot for backpacks and packs and other things slung over the shoulders and such like that. Then another spot for a weapons, sheath like objects, maybe some other things like quiver and such. Although it may take more then just adding a wear location to get it to work like that.

Then maybe have weapon harnesses, that you can sheath stuff into, maybe hold more then one weapon. Still have the backpack. Or have you backpack and one weapon there and what not. Have a backpack and a quiver... But not have two backpacks, or two weapons, or two weapon harnesses or anything like that... Just for the fact that something like that, although possible, would make for some playability issues... Like making disarm completely ineffective when someone has 15+ drawable weapon slots or something.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Yes. And let Half-Giants get double the amout of everyone else.  :twisted:

Pulling a half-dozen enormous poleaxes of -DOOM- from his back, the massive, dull-witted half-giant says in sirihish, 'What you only can cary one?'.
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

I would like to see backs sheathe one weapon plus the bag that is worn there, or possibly two weapons without a bag.

I would, however, like to see a "over shoulder" wear location that could be used for bows and certain bags...sometimes you have a character that would need to carry plenty of stuff but either uses large weapons so can't wear a backpack, or wouldn't wear a backpack for other reasons.

I know there are shoulder bags that can be worn around neck or throat, but they're not as available as one might like.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I like one back and one backsheathe location, but I don't like the slung over shoulder location, it seems to be... too much.

Shoulders are for stuff like patches and songbirds, I think, not really meant to ever be used for a pack or bag or what have you.

That's why I was suggesting a new slot called 'over shoulder', not that the shoulder slot be used. Also, that would ensure there'd only be one such addition.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Hmm, I think there is some danger in having too many container slots.  Maybe not for elves, but with enough location slots a half-giant could carry as much as a small wagon.   :P

You've got your belt location, and there are belts that can hold up to 20 stone.  Some quivers can also been worn as belts, and it is easy to find 20-30 stone capacity quivers.

Then the waist location, where you can wear a second belt, sash or some quivers.  Or you can forgo a container and wear a breachguard.

The neck location, allowing you to wear some packs, gourds, and such, or you can wear neck armor.

You've got your back, where you can wear a weapon, a quiver, or a massive backpack.  Backpacks that hold 60 stone can be found in every city, and there are even larger ones around.

If you are really pressed for carrying capacity, many bags can be held in your hand, and you get the same weight bonus as if the item was worn.  There is another easy 60 stone container.  (Depending on your strength you may have to hold the bag when it is empty and then fill it, but that is trivial).

Then there are smaller locations all over your body.  If you are willing to wear containers instead of armor (for some reason armor never seems to have pockets) you can usually find clothes that hold between 1-10 stone for your body, wrists, neck, throat, head, torso, legs and feet.   Each container is small, but they add up.

A dedicated container seeker could probably get 200 stone of container space, plus whatever they carry in their inventory.  The thing is that most of these locations are also armor locations (barring throat, body, back and belt) and if you don't  wear armor you risk injury.  Right now you need to make a choice: combat or carrying capacity.  If a new non-armor location was added, you wouldn't need to make that choice, you could increase your carrying capacity without putting yourself at greater risk.  Is that a good thing or a bad thing?  I don't know, but it would be a shift in the play balance.  It has consequences, and that has to be considered.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Its real annoying because I have a quiver but i want to wear a backpack as well so this idea that everyone thinks will be bad becuase people will go round carrying huge amounts of stuff the couldent carry anyway cuz of the cumbersome code,I think is great cuz whats the point of having a backpack if you have to take if off just to wear a quiver cuz u wanna shoot something?.

Arrrrgh dont you get it??? no way people are gonna be able to wear huge axes an stuff on there back it would be too heavy anyway why does everyone think somethings wrong with it every complaint you think of i have an answer too and they seem like stupid complaints to start with sorry im just nuts and confused :?  :?  :(  :cry:  :?

All I want is to be able to do is get that weapon or shield that is strapped to my back into my hands during combat without having to disengage/flee to do it.

That (and they may exist, I have not found one) and a belt that I can hang more then two things from, three would be perfect as long as the third had to be non-weapon, no reason why you could not sheath two swords and hang a quiver from the back of the belt and still be able to pull arrows from it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Keep looking, there are plenty of quivers you can wear around your waist.  So you can have a pack or weapon on your back, a belt with two weapons as a belt, and a quiver around your waist.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Hhhmm, I know, I currently have a quiver that can be attached to belt, wear back, neck or waist, hell, may be able to wear in the belt location, not what I want, not gonna give up breech anyway, definitly would not be IC.

No, I want a quiver like the one I have IRL that attaches to the belt in the back, in a sort of sideways manner, love that thing, I can wear it and it does not hang and knock on stuff and does not get in the way of slinging the bow/crossbow across my back and it is far easier and faster for -me- to reach across to my left for an arrow pull it and knock it then to reach over a shoulder.

But anyway, I have yet to find a belt with more then 2 locations to hang items, so you are stuck with one weapon and a quiver or two weapons and the quiver someplace else, Just think you should be able to hang two weapons -and- at least one non-weapon item on a belt, (beltpouch, waterskin, quiver etc)

Funny thing is, this would actually allow my char, who, though not a HG can carry a wagonload, to travel lighter with less items.

Combine that with being able to -draw- a weapon or maybe even shield from your back would mean I would even forgo the backpack and not have to carry shield and or big weapon in inventory, currently the back is a wear location so once a weapon or shield is on it it counts as clothing, in combat you try and remove it and you get the fighting for your life message, which always makes me say WTF telling me that a high strength char can't reach back and rip that axe off his back to wield it in combat, but he can reach over his shoulder into a quiver and pull a single arrow in a sigle motion in combat or reach down into his boot and draw a knife the same way......oops, ranting a bit...sorry, long time sore point with me:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job