brewed poisons -- what happened?

Started by veryalien, April 07, 2008, 04:32:39 PM

April 07, 2008, 04:32:39 PM Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 04:47:15 PM by veryalien
any updates to this here since it got posted?

specifically as is already mentioned on the thread since you cannot hold a vial of poison can you use "pour" to poison something? even a waterskin?

EDIT: also, i'd like to contribute to the poison help file. the general poison effects after they were modified a few years ago made me very confused in-game and had me bug and wish a bunch of times. This is all mentioned by staff in this thread

"When cured some poisons may have lingering effects which will not completely go away until the poison has run its course. These effects are typically not deadly."

Brewable poisons are not currently implemented (with the nit-pickable exception of certain medical tablets that have poison-like side-effects). If you have a vial of poison, you use the poison skill to apply it to food or drink, not the pour command.

Quote from: jstorrie on April 07, 2008, 05:54:00 PM
Brewable poisons are not currently implemented (with the nit-pickable exception of certain medical tablets that have poison-like side-effects). If you have a vial of poison, you use the poison skill to apply it to food or drink, not the pour command.

As far as I recall, you can't use the poison skill with vials, because you can't "hold" vials, and you are required to hold the poison, in order to poison something. Unless vials have become holdable, or the poison skill has been changed to not require the poison to be held? The help file doesn't specify, and the past forum posts don't either.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

You cannot hold vials.

This is why I asked.

AFAIK, vials–like, glass vials that you can buy from shops–aren't related to poison vials, which are a different kind of item that you can, in fact, hold.

You can brew various things into the type of glass vials that you buy at some shops. Maybe some of those things are poisons, maybe they are not, but it would be pretty easy to find out IC.

And the info given above about how to apply poison to food or drink is not necessarily correct. But again, it's pretty easy to test and find out IC.

Find out IC.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

That's all I needed to know. Not that it helps much because now we've got vials you can hold and vials you cannot hold. Makes for a lot of confusion imho.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on April 07, 2008, 06:38:27 PM
You can brew various things into the type of glass vials that you buy at some shops. Maybe some of those things are poisons, maybe they are not, but it would be pretty easy to find out IC.

And the info given above about how to apply poison to food or drink is not necessarily correct. But again, it's pretty easy to test and find out IC.

Find out IC.

Why in the world would someone want to find out IC, a syntax issue? It's a SYNTAX issue, not an IC issue. And as has been mentioned, some of the poison system has been codedly DISABLED, which means there is no way of finding some of that information out IC, even if you wanted to.

It's times like this when I thoroughly detest the phrase "find out IC" because it's a copout. It has nothing to do with whether or not your -character- can learn something. It has everything to do with the help files, the official game docs, the staff discussion in previous threads, all saying very clearly that things don't work in-game as they were originally intended, that the code is not working properly, and that some of it was intentionally disabled. Telling someone to find out IC is ridiculous.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Telling someone to Find Out IC if possible, which this rather decidedly is, cultivates a mindset beneficial to the game as a whole; namely, whenever possible treating the game world as a world, rather than a dissociative fiction.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

To be honest, the whole issue is too buggy to find out IC.

Best way to describe it is this. Brewed poisons is like water already laced with poisons and cannot be used to poison anything. You can though, pour the vial of poison into another container and give it off like that. That only concerns the vials that you got out of <brew> skill.

April 07, 2008, 08:25:50 PM #10 Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:27:57 PM by veryalien
We're not trying to ferret out any IC info. There's some confusion. If we have the poison skill then one can assume that this should be something the character can come to understand on its own.

My hope is a staff member will respond with some details on how this mechanic works. I'll be happy to contribute additions to the poison_skill page if it helps other players as well.

EDIT: And to be clear I can already make poisons in vials and drink it -- I'm not asking if I can make poisons in vials. I'm asking if the god-for-saken vials are bugged and useless or if there is a way to use them.

Quote from: veryalien on April 07, 2008, 08:25:50 PM
We're not trying to ferret out any IC info. There's some confusion. If we have the poison skill then one can assume that this should be something the character can come to understand on its own.

My hope is a staff member will respond with some details on how this mechanic works. I'll be happy to contribute additions to the poison_skill page if it helps other players as well.

EDIT: And to be clear I can already make poisons in vials and drink it -- I'm not asking if I can make poisons in vials. I'm asking if the god-for-saken vials are bugged and useless or if there is a way to use them.

get vial
get bottle
pour vial bottle
put bottle pack
Go tavern
buy bottle
palm bottle
hemote shifting his back to ~friend, @ slips ~bottle into the right pole of his cloak, uncovering an uncorked one from the left.
give bottle friend
laugh friend
watch friend suffer
kill friend
eat friend.

April 07, 2008, 08:47:04 PM #12 Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:52:40 PM by veryalien
thanks. and sorry for i sounded bitchy. you explained it 100%.

edit: never knew about hemote :D

Quote from: veryalien on April 07, 2008, 08:47:04 PM

[derail]hemote is God.[/derail]
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on April 08, 2008, 03:53:30 AM
Quote from: veryalien on April 07, 2008, 08:47:04 PM

[derail]hemote is God.[/derail]

Another derail, wrong forum....so is semote
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day