Syntax Please?

Started by halfbreed, April 24, 2003, 02:25:54 AM

I've looked at all the help files, but I'm still confused...

how exactly does one sheathe a dagger into a boot?  I'm assuming only a dagger will fit, or something as small.

Do you have to be holding the dagger, or wielding it?

Thanks in advance....
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

If you want to load a dagger into your bootsheathe the syntax, assuming the weapon will fit, is:

load dagger boots

This does not seem to work if you are EPing or ESing the weapon. You need to have it only in your inventory.

To draw the dagger the syntax is:

draw dagger boots
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Equip the weapon (es, ep, etwo), then type 'sheathe dagger boot'.  To draw that weapon, type 'draw dagger boot'.

There are two types of boots capable of holding small weapons.  The first kind merely have a pocket, not a sheath, so you just put <item> boots.  Since it is a pocket you can put anything in it, not just weapons.  

The other kind have actual sheaths built in, so they can only hold knives and daggers.  Occasionally you may find a light sword, spear, arrow, javellin, etc., that can be loaded into a sheath, but this is due to limitations  related to the sizing code (it only takes weight into account, not length and width) so if something obviously shouldn't fit in a small sheath don't  put it there even if the code lets it fit.  As for using sheaths, I think you usually need to have the item in your inventory rather than held or wielded in your hands.  So if you are using the weapon you would remove dagger and then load dagger boots.  When you want to use it you have to have your primary hand empty, and then draw dagger boots.  The keyword can be tricky, sometimes you need to use bootsheath as your keyword, and sometimes just boots.

See help load help unload and help draw for everything you ever wanted to know about using sheath objects.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Thanks for the tips folks.  It did have to be in inventory (not held).

It doesn't have to be in inventory if you use "sheath dagger boot".  You can do that from EP/ES

Rindan/Krelin - it's a special bootsheath... you cannot sheath right into it like other weapons.  AC has the right of it.  Syntax is load knife boots when the knife is in your inventory.

Hmmm.  Every "loadable" sheath I've ever run into works with
"sheath item sheath"...  it would be strange to have one such exception...  if you do, perhaps it's a "bug"?

AFAIK, knife-belts and wristsheaths and the like you can type

sheath knife sheath
or
sheath knife belt

(whichever's appropriate)

As well as simply loading the knife from your inventory.

But, when it comes to boots, I've never seen a pair of boots that you could simply

sheath knife boots

You always had to have the knife in your inventory, and then load it into your boots.

What's more, if you draw a knife from a belt or wristsheath, it'll automatically 'es' it for you if you've got something in your primary hand, but if you draw a knife from your boots and your primary hand is full, you have to 'es' it on your own.