Grassland wildfires?

Started by titansfan, March 21, 2008, 09:27:13 PM

I was just curious why there are never wildfires on the grasslands...I mean it's very dry and very hot...just a curious question.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Find out IC. Maybe there has been, maybe there hasn't.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I'll give you a hint... 1441
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Quote1441
    A fire of questionable origin starts in the scrub plains south of Tuluk and almost destroys the city. Isar, High Templar of Tuluk, uses powerful magick to stop the fire, however. The fire leaves a wide path of scorched earth leading south away from the city.

From: http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/timeline.cgi

But uh... Wouldn't grassland fires be much much more commonplace? Just one major grassland fire in the history of Zalanthas doesn't make any sense given the harshness of the climate.

Tulukis, being such avid tree-lovers, have installed state of the art sprinkler systems across the grasslands to prevent any damage to the natural bunny habitat.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

Quote from: Qzzrbl on March 22, 2008, 03:46:57 PM
But uh... Wouldn't grassland fires be much much more commonplace? Just one major grassland fire in the history of Zalanthas doesn't make any sense given the harshness of the climate.

They might be. Remember that a lot of space is virtual. Maybe there are on average three really large fires a year, which the local tribes and wildlife have learned to adapt to. Bring that section of the world to life if you want to.

All that just emphasizes how big that one fire must've been to make it into the history books.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on March 22, 2008, 04:04:18 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on March 22, 2008, 03:46:57 PM

They might be. Remember that a lot of space is virtual. Maybe there are on average three really large fires a year, which the local tribes and wildlife have learned to adapt to. Bring that section of the world to life if you want to.

All that just emphasizes how big that one fire must've been to make it into the history books.

Exactly.

RP it.  The next time your poor hunter is out there spot a cloud of smoke in the distance and head as fast as your feet can carry you in the other direction.

People that can bring the virtual environment to life like that are some of the most fun people to rp with. ;)

Just use discretion, nobody is going to like you if you try to rp a huge fire rolling in towards tuluk with no warning at all.  Do it in a tasteful, well depicted manner where the fact that it isn't coded and exists only in your imagination isn't going to be jarring to other pcs.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I'd hate for this to happen just as I was in the middle of something. Best if this was a coded event.

But grasses reproduce splendidly without fires.

Conifers are the ones who need fires.

Also, how much non-magickal lightning have you seen on Zalanthas? And is the grass even dense enough to be conducive to large fires?