a question about sneak in city/desert

Started by spicemustflow, March 13, 2008, 08:50:55 AM

I have a char, assassin/hunter. Now assassin's sneak works in the city, right? And before when I tried to sneak outside the city with a city rogue or hide, I get the message "it's not the city, but you do your best" or something like that. Not this time. Why? Does it mean that I don't get the penalty?

One of my replies is, "The hunter subguild probably has wilderness sneak, and no, I don't know if your skill is consolidated between the two or if you are using two different sneaks."

The other of my replies is, "Stop worrying about the code and just play the game."
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

With an assassin, you know how to sneak inside the cities, not outside.  So it is safe to assume your sneak will not work outside as much as it works inside the city
some of my posts are serious stuff

QuoteThe hunter subguild probably has wilderness sneak, and no, I don't know if your skill is consolidated between the two or if you are using two different sneaks

:) That would be my next question, but you're right I'll just play the game.

I think the staff have stated that, in such cases, you only get the guild sneak, not the subguild sneak.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Yes that is what I was thinking, but then why did not he get the same message?  Maybe that message checks your guild/subguild only but not really your sneak type?

In any case, I think your character will not be able to successfully sneak outside.

Quote from: Ghost on March 13, 2008, 11:03:45 AM
In any case, I think your character will not be able to successfully sneak outside.

Dunno if I'd go that far...I've used city-hide successfully out in the boonies.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Odd.  I have always assumed that I will never succeed in hiding/sneaking if I don't have the appropriate skill for the environment.  Since newbie level skills pretty much never succeed and if you don't have the skill in question, I thought it would work the same way

There is only 1 sneak skill and 1 hide skill.

All else is based on the guild. If it is a city guild you get negs outdoors, if it is a wilderness guild you get negs in cities. LARGE negs, but not impossible to overcome...though you will never be "good"  in that area.

At one time staff did say...Oh, a couple GDBs back now, that the sub stealth was dependant on the main guild. So, a merchant who took rebel or hunter would still have city stealth.  I have no idea if that is still the case.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

This is no longer the case.

If you have wilderness sneak from a subguild, and city sneak from a guild, you will be able to use your skills from one in the other without penalty.  And, as noted, there is only one sneak skill, so if you practice in the city and become an expert,  you will be an expert in the wilderness.

Yes, this is something that will be corrected in Arm 2.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

i don't know if I'm breaking the game with this. It makes sense in a way, if the char has been (self)taught to operate in both environments, but it does feel twinkish a bit. Well.

To be fair, if you're an expert at 'city stealth' and you don't have wilderness stealth from a subguild, you'll still be nearly invisible out in the wilderness. The penalty isn't that hefty.