My mindless optimism...[death rant]

Started by spicemustflow, March 09, 2008, 06:28:36 AM

March 09, 2008, 06:28:36 AM Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:34:18 PM by Vanth
...and unlimited faith in the skills of my characters has brought another promising -insert guild- to a premature and retarded death. Shit, no wonder I always (almost) the same chars, no one ever lives enough to make me satisfied with that particular guild experience. Just a rant, better than breaking something :). My next char isn't going to leave his house...

[edited by Vanth to make the subject clearer]

You don't need to stay inside your character's house, but staying within the safe parts of a city and no blind faith in your newbie skills would probably help.  ;) If you think something can get you killed, it probably will. Even after 5 days of playtime accumulated and regular training it's still safe to assume that most dangerous things will kill you.

Quote from: Akaramu on March 09, 2008, 06:39:19 AM
You don't need to stay inside your character's house, but staying within the safe parts of a city and no blind faith in your newbie skills would probably help.  ;) If you think something can get you killed, it probably will. Even after 5 days of playtime accumulated and regular training it's still safe to assume that most dangerous things will kill you.

Like Akaramu. She will kill you.
And I will.. Perhaps.. Maybe?

But.. Join a clan mate (make a northie), they will train your ass up.. And make you a buffie mcbuffman.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

March 09, 2008, 07:14:39 AM #3 Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:29:18 AM by spicemustflow
The frustrating thing is it was greed. Pure greed. I was loaded and going to make more sid than ever, but I just HAD to see what's down there...

Nevermind I'll try something new now. Is anyone playing in Luir's? I never tried that.

edited for typo

Haha. With your name, you absolutely have to play in Luir's at least once.

I don't know about right now, but it tends to be quite a busy place with lots of interesting PCs stopping by. Then again, it can also be very quiet at times. But you'll never know until you try. And yes, join a clan, and maybe start playing a little more careful if you want to have a longer lived PC.  ;)

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on March 09, 2008, 06:58:31 AMLike Akaramu. She will kill you.

I DENY EVERYTHING!!111!!!

*squint*

Kurac plays in Luir's and has always been know for its awesomeness. Nothing else exists in Luir's save for the occasional passer-through or the extremely rare non-Kuraci who for some reason lives there. Oh, and sometimes a gypsy or two.

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 09, 2008, 07:14:39 AM
Nevermind I'll try something new now. Is anyone playing in Luir's? I never tried that.

No! Come up far north, To tuluk... We are far better.. And you know what? A booming PC player base here!

Quote from: Akaramu on March 09, 2008, 07:23:16 AM
And yes, join a clan, and maybe start playing a little more careful if you want to have a longer lived PC.  ;)

No.. With your  name come up to Tuluk.  8) And join that clan.. So many options up here that are actually active!

Quote from: Akaramu on March 09, 2008, 07:23:16 AM
And yes, join a clan, and maybe start playing a little more careful if you want to have a longer lived PC.  ;)

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on March 09, 2008, 06:58:31 AMLike Akaramu. She will kill you.

I DENY EVERYTHING!!111!!!

*squint*

She lures you with mudsex, then stabs you.. I hurtz.  :'(

The north is rocking right now. Hell even Kuraci is moving up there quite a bit, I believe. Plus you have so many choices Lyksae, Legions, Byn, Kurac, Salarr.....I could keep going...catch my drift...come have fun in the land of booze and poets.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Hm, I thought that Tuluk is empty, don't know why, maybe read some older thread about it, so I'm in Nak again. I'll die probably soon, so... :)

There are fun things to do in 'Nak, too. If you like making fighter-types, the Byn, Arm of the Dragon, and Tor might be right for you down there. In the north, as other people said, Kurac, Byn, Sun Legions, etc.

Find your niche and have fun.

Quote from: titansfan on March 09, 2008, 01:43:58 PM
come have fun in the land of booze, spice, and poets.

I fixed your post.

Tuluk is jumping, tons of stuff to do at all levels, and a very in depth culture that's not really always what it seems and can be as rough and brutal as Allanak if not moreso.  It's not all wine sipping and tree hugging like some would have you believe.  Tuluk has fun for all types from lowly grubby mercenaries, hunters, beggars, and criminals to haughty bards and aides and everything in between.

man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Tuluk - tribal influence, with creepy undertones of paranoia
Allanak - brutality influence, with brutality undertones

My first three characters all died because of recklessness, i.e. taking on NPCs simply for greed. Teaches you that running around, farming NPCs for money is pretty much gaming the system (for my third character, I believe I was earning far more money than was realistic, especially looking at typical starting salaries in most guilds.) Eventually, gaming the system will get you killed. You aren't training properly, and eventually you'll find something that you think you can take for that extra 30 or 40 sid, but in the end it kills you.

Training is all-important. Training buys enough time for
(a) you to flee, or
(b) your boss to kill the <scary thing>.  ;)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 10, 2008, 01:50:38 AMrunning around, farming NPCs for money

*wince*

The pain! The pain! My eyes are bleeding. This is a roleplay MUD. Not a hack and slash MUD.  :'(

A sand-hued desert tarantula crumples to the ground.
You receive 102 experience points.
You rise a level!! Welcome to level 3!
You gain 7 hit points, 3 stun points and 12 movement points.
You have new skills to train; type 'skills' to see them.
You take 86 obsidian coins from the body of a sand-hued desert tarantula.

Akaramu gossips: WAY TO GO ~brytta.leofa~!!
hyzhenhok gossips: brytta.leofa, congratulations on Level 3!!
a strange shadow gossips: Nice Job brytta.leofa! Burnin' 'em up!
> gossip lol thansk guys
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

That made my day.

I <3 you.  ;D

QuoteTuluk - tribal influence, with creepy undertones of paranoia

Alright, I decided to give Tuluk another chance and it better be creepy! Last time it seemed like a bunch of hippies prancing around the wineyard.

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 21, 2008, 12:55:21 PM

Alright, I decided to give Tuluk another chance and it better be creepy! Last time it seemed like a bunch of hippies prancing around the wineyard.

It always will at first glance. You have to invest some time before you see the stuff there is to see.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Make a list of PC's you see on a regular basis each month.  Compare month 3 with month 1.

Chances are you won't see a lot of the same people still wandering around.  Isn't that creepy enough?

-LoD

I would think the halflings got them.

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 21, 2008, 01:24:47 PM
I would think the halflings got them.

You'd be mostly wrong. Halflings and other wildlife aren't the main danger in Tuluk. If you stick around long enough and listen to the whispers, and strain your ears hard to catch the large silences arond what doesn't get said, you'll find out what is.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

What I meant to say is isn't it like that all over the MUD, not just in Tuluk? But anyway, I'm pretty excited about the new setting and new char, and I'll pay attention to those whispers :).

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 21, 2008, 02:44:12 PM
What I meant to say is isn't it like that all over the MUD, not just in Tuluk?

Hah, yes. Well, once you understand the game world a bit, you will find that PCs are always the true danger. NPCs are tough, but in most circumstances predictable and easily avoided...

I cannot count how many times I rolled up a warrior in tuluk, went to the grasslands, and decided I was cool enough to attack a duskhorn, only to get gored viciously in the head and knocked out for a premature death ON the 3 hour mark.

I'm a pessimist at heart, I think I'm just stupid. =)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Happens to me all the time man, in fact happened just half an hour ago :).

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 09, 2008, 02:40:52 PM
Hm, I thought that Tuluk is empty, don't know why, maybe read some older thread about it, so I'm in Nak again. I'll die probably soon, so... :)

Should've come to Luir's...

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 21, 2008, 09:31:01 PM

Should come to Luir's...

You should go to Luirs. You should try every starting location I think while it's all still here to start in. My only caveat is before starting in Storm plan for a concept that will stand up to some lonliness. Storm is a hard one.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

A good rule of thumb that I always try to think of, is everytime I take my PC outside of a city, I prepare myself that *something* may come up that will kill her. It is a harsh game, and as we can all attest to, random crap happens all the time. Of course you can still die in a city, but it is easier to stay alive inside than it is outside. Anytime you take a step out of those gates, just know that your PC may not walk back through them. That is just the nature of the beast. :-)

-Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Quote from: NoraShould come to Luir's...

I was there. Briefly :). Not a bad place at all, like the feeling.

And I'm starting to get used to Tuluk too, but the annoying part is it makes me want to listen to reggae.

The serious reggae (the kind that rarely gets heard in America) is a good vibe for Tuluk.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

What is a serious reggae? That exists?

Yes. It's got a lot more hiphop influence.

Quote from: Barzalene on March 23, 2008, 10:16:33 PM
Yes. It's got a lot more hiphop influence.

What? No.

They stuff they play on the west indian station certainly does.

wtf, 'serious' reggae has no hip hop influence.

You are probably thinking of variants of Dub, which in modern times certainly meshes well with hip hop.

Imho, 'serious' reggae would be the early Bob Marley and the Wailers stuff that is NOT on 'Legend.' The stuff that made the transition from Ska to Reggae in the early-mid 60s is sick beyond belief.

Quote from: Nora on March 23, 2008, 06:21:49 AM
Quote from: spicemustflow on March 09, 2008, 02:40:52 PM

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 21, 2008, 09:31:01 PM

Should come to Luir's...

I had a PC in Luirs.. And stored him.. It utterly suck age if your times do not match up with the other PCs as mine were not matching..
BUT! If you match up.. It is uber-fun.. And I actually miss my old PC.. Kinda would attempt to get him back.. But bah.

The PC leaders within Luirs (Kuraci bastards they are) are awesome.  :-* Miss you guys.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 10, 2008, 03:15:07 PM
A sand-hued desert tarantula crumples to the ground.
You receive 102 experience points.
You rise a level!! Welcome to level 3!
You gain 7 hit points, 3 stun points and 12 movement points.
You have new skills to train; type 'skills' to see them.
You take 86 obsidian coins from the body of a sand-hued desert tarantula.

Akaramu gossips: WAY TO GO ~brytta.leofa~!!
hyzhenhok gossips: brytta.leofa, congratulations on Level 3!!
a strange shadow gossips: Nice Job brytta.leofa! Burnin' 'em up!
> gossip lol thansk guys

I will Never go back to this..EVER!
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Shimrod on March 24, 2008, 08:59:48 AM
The stuff that made the transition from Ska to Reggae in the early-mid 60s is sick beyond belief.

Ska to Rocksteady to Reggae, I'm told.

Quote from: Barzalene on March 21, 2008, 01:03:49 PM

It always will at first glance. You have to invest some time before you see the stuff there is to see.

You also probably won't find out until its to late and you are going, "Oh shit!"

But that's part of the fun.

Quote from: Bebop on March 25, 2008, 12:32:10 PM
Quote from: Barzalene on March 21, 2008, 01:03:49 PM

You also probably won't find out until its to late and you are going, "Oh shit!"

But that's part of the fun.

Thats a good part of the fun. The action avoids you for a while, but then it just kinda overtakes you. And you realize, you know enough about enough, that, really, you should already be dead. Ha.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I'm personally kind of torn about this.

Someone on this GDB once said that " a bit of the game dies each time you get killed duel-wielding desert elf" And I think it's true. It sucks getting offed out of the blue for no other reason than for your stuff. And lets not forget limitations within the game that encourage this behavior.

But then the game wouldn't be the same if it couldn't happen, would it?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread except I want to ask if it's ok for me to use the title My mindless optimism... [death rant] as a song title.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

QuoteI have absolutely nothing to add to this thread except I want to ask if it's ok for me to use the title My mindless optimism... [death rant] as a song title.

:)

Just to say that I changed my mind about Tuluk. I didn't stay long enough for it to become totally creepy, but it definitely has the potential to be. And I definitely like the atmosphere with vines, colors, exotic architecture and so on. Also, I think I saw more hideously scarred or deformed people than in Nak. Strange. And i don;t mean mutants, just ordinary poor, extremely unhappy people. Anyway, will definitely play more northerners in the future.