Weekly Update

Started by Angela Christine, April 22, 2003, 12:32:33 AM

Quote from: "Weekly Update"Big note bug fixed, hurry for Tenebrius & Nessalin!

Ooh ooh, was this the note bug?  The one that made literacy a lot less fun then one might expect and made PC libraries unlikely?  If so . . . Woo!  I always wanted a character with a big library.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Yes, hurry for the mass praising!  Hurray too!

This was what most of us have called "the" note bug.  What the fix does is prevent note objects from slowly gaining whitespace characters which eventually push all the real text out of the readable text field, so you just see a bunch of [MORE]'s.  What it doesn't do is fix all the existing note objects which already have this, per se.  There are a series of updates/checks/fixes made when you relog (log off & disconnect completely, followed by logging back on) with a note object on you, which may cause the item to be fixed when you log back on -- don't quote me on that, however, as I don't have the relevant email/information about the fix in front of me.

Simply by eliminating the mass quantities of mysteriously added whitespace characters they were able to also cut the size of one of our save zones roughly in half.  This frees up active memory, speeds reboots, speeds save-zone resets/saves, and is all around a very good thing.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Hurray!  I may just have to have a literate character again someday.  This opens so many possibilities, like finding your grandmother's loveletters or stealing Templar Grumpy's diary.  Or keeping your own diary, secure in the knowldedge it will be readable for future generations, at least as long as you keep it in an item saving room.  :drools:

Go Tenebrius & Nessalin!  Woo hoo!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins