A question about crafting

Started by spicemustflow, February 20, 2008, 07:55:58 AM

What is the way to use the objects that supposedly help you in crafting, like needle or thimble? Are they really useful?

It works just like RL on this one. You can hold them in your hands, and have them in your inventory, you can also be in a room with a sewing machine to help you in your efforts. That is pretty much how it works in character, rooms give you bonuses, items in hand give bonuses, and even though you can't RP and equip another tool mid-craft, you can RP with the items in your inventory like you are using them.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

So I don't have actually to hold a tool in my hand to get a bonus? When I type craft linen I get the message that I can craft it into a bandage, but when I try to do that it says that I don't have enough skill...

AHA!! Never mind, got it, thanks!

Some tools can be worn, rather than held. Using assess -v can be helpful. Though, I've discovered some tools don't have any assess -v message - meaning, it doesn't say what the tool can be used for. I don't know if that is an oversight, or if these tools simply have no -coded- benefit and are exclusively for RP purposes. In a nutshell though, try wear, hold, wield, assess -v, and if all else fails, don't worry about the coded benefit and just RP that you're doing something with the tool you have.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 20, 2008, 08:19:20 AM
So I don't have actually to hold a tool in my hand to get a bonus? When I type craft linen I get the message that I can craft it into a bandage, but when I try to do that it says that I don't have enough skill...

AHA!! Never mind, got it, thanks!

As to this specifically, if you don't type it exactly right, you'll get this message everytime.

craft linen
You can make a white linen bandage from that.

You have to" Craft linen into white linen bandage"
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Ugh. This reminded me that it took three months to figure out that just 'craft item' will tell you what you can craft out of things. And here I thought you had to just guess what you can make. Heh.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 20, 2008, 03:45:03 PM
Ugh. This reminded me that it took three months to figure out that just 'craft item' will tell you what you can craft out of things. And here I thought you had to just guess what you can make. Heh.

craft fail

Dude. That's nothing. It took me 3 months to figure out that you can eat/drink past the "You are no longer hungry/thirsty" message. I played the game for THREE MONTHS with constantly seeing "You are a little hungry" on my screen. Feel good that you were only such a dumb noob about the overly complex crafting system, in comparison :)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quoteoverly complex crafting system

Really? Play SOI. LOLZOR
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Well, overly complex compared to like an MMO where it's all push buttons and visuals. You gotta admit that ARM's crafting system is completely non-intuitive.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.