The wind gets stronger...

Started by wildhalfling, February 09, 2008, 11:13:18 AM

Flaming arrows? Rambo arrows? Grenades? Stun-damage arrows?

These ideas here?

I would fuck them.

I would fuck them hard.

You want stun damage, get a sling. Stun arrows...Heh, weight an arrow enough that it could do more then knock over a rat and see how far you can fire it...even a crossbow bolt would be worthless.

Exploding arrows...How exactly is that supposed to work? I would not be against it as long as you had to light a wick and the wick had a random timer from 1-20 seconds.

Flaming arrows...That would be cool.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteExploding arrows...How exactly is that supposed to work? I would not be against it as long as you had to light a wick and the wick had a random timer from 1-20 seconds.

In the SOI code an arrow can sometimes lodge into a damage location. Depending on the type of barbed tip etc, you sometimes need a healer to even remove an arrow there.

The exploding arrow flies in from the west and lodges in your legs.

You say "Sarge... I need the doctor. Now"

An exploding arrow sizzles as it's fuse burns down.

You shout "AAAH I SAID NOW"
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Well, the idea was a bit of a joke...but it would be really fucking cool, regardless of whether it was "realistic" or not.

How about this: a chunk of sodium or potassium with a small vial of water mounted behind it, attached to the arrowhead, wrapped with a small amount of flash powder.  Upon impact, the vial of water breaks, contacts the sodium, violent exothermic reaction takes place, ignites flash powder, *BOOM*.

That plausible enough for you?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

QuoteThat plausible enough for you?

That construction you describe is unlikely to fly far and on target. Also, I don't believe that mini-explosion is going to hurt more than a solid impact from balanced arrow.

I don't mind the whole concept of flaming and explosive arrows much, except when people demand that a single arrow would light up desert for leagues across and impact of explosion would match that of a grenade launcher.

Considering that staff won't let us destroy buildings without interventions, the only good purpose I'd like to see these arrows implemeted for would be to scare mounts, predators and other animals. However, if they are going to change their mind about buildings (and I'd like that) I expect to see coded means to stop the fire, too.

It always kind of irked me that you can't put out fires.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on February 29, 2008, 12:05:54 AM
It always kind of irked me that you can't put out fires.

Extinguish fire/torch/flaming_mundane
Or have you tried that?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I never realized it would work for flaming_mundane, since the helpfile doesn't mention it -.^

The Chosen

Well, they have to be gay.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

I blame the mudsexing Whirans.

This weather deal is starting to get ridiculous. There has been a ranger-navigation-only sandstorm for four or five RL days straight where my character is located, and he's basically unable to roleplay where he is. That's nearly a RL week where I might as well not log in because the weather code is so poor. I know it has been addressed before and everything, but I just wanted to express how disappointed I am with a code that prohibits playability to such an insane degree. I am not going to sit alone and solo RP for five days.

It seems that while the weather-changing code's echos function ("the wind slows down", "the wind changes direction" etc.), they simply do nothing once the game has been running for long enough to pick up a perpetual sandstorm (generally seems to take 24hrs). I wonder if we could have a reboot every few days instead of once a week so that players aren't restricted to playing socialites or rangers?

I don't know, but I suspect the weather is... IC. Very IC.  :(

Find out who or whatever is responsible, and kill them?

This weather pattern has existed for a long time.

Okay. Back to mudsexing Whirans then.

*squints to lurking staff*

*nods*

armageddon always gets more windy starting from reboot - it`s not an IC thing

it starts at calm wind and then major storms anywhere from 24hrs to 72hrs and stays like that until reboot

not sure why it`s like this - once I saw a message about wind getting calmer and it actually got stronger, so maybe that is part of the bug

Recently My PC stood in an outdoor room with "terrible biting sand" And could only see 1 room away.
Then the message "the wind gets stronger"
And it went to stinging sand and you could see two rooms...not that I complained.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I think that's because the wind might be blowing harder, but there isn't as much dust/debris etc in the air. As in, all that loose crap that was over there, is now over here, so the wind is stronger but out of shit to throw at you.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: Lenny Poppo on March 10, 2008, 01:18:19 PM

it starts at calm wind and then major storms anywhere from 24hrs to 72hrs and stays like that until reboot

not sure why it`s like this - once I saw a message about wind getting calmer and it actually got stronger, so maybe that is part of the bug

Absolutely it's an ic thing.  Just because it's represented by the code doesn't mean it's not ic, in fact I'd go so far as to suggest that it being represented by the code means that it absolutely is an ic thing. 
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

In most cases, I agree.

However, it appears that the weather code does not really function as intended...

Still, it has to be taken IC, as it effects so much of the world...

So, I guess, the way I look at is this:

The weather is IC.

The weather pattern is not.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Quote from: staggerlee on March 10, 2008, 09:43:52 PM
Quote from: Lenny Poppo on March 10, 2008, 01:18:19 PM

Absolutely it's an ic thing.  Just because it's represented by the code doesn't mean it's not ic, in fact I'd go so far as to suggest that it being represented by the code means that it absolutely is an ic thing. 

??

I don't understand your reply (can't figure out what it means), but I was saying like psionic fungus said, the weather going crazy is not because of an IC thing, it's just code not working properly. so yeah you got to act it out in the game like it is very stormy, but it's not very stormy because of any special IC reason like magic people making storms.

maybe you are saying that if the code says something then it must be IC, but can you say that the code making doubles of NPCs is absolutely an IC thing? you and me know that's a load of feces

March 11, 2008, 11:50:11 AM #46 Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 11:53:07 AM by staggerlee
Your causality is flawed:

"The visible weather appears to be tied to MUD resets, therefore weather is an ooc architect and not tied to ic events."

The weather may be related to MUD resets.  And it sound like it has been for quite some time.
That does not necessarily mean it is an accident or that the staff don't intend for the weather ic to get increasingly worse in cycles.

It's always safe to assume that there's an ic reason for things like that.  When you start blowing things off because you believe they're entirely ooc constructs and not ic, the game starts falling apart.

And like I said, the causality there is all flawed.  Maybe my character has a weather device, and I'm sitting on the temple of the dragon cackling - every time the mud crashes, the damn thing gets reset back to zero and it's mild out again?   You don't have enough data to draw any actual conclusions about the weather, all you know is that it gets worse the longer the MUD is up, based on personal experiences in whatever areas.

Psionic Fungus defined the difference well. Take it all ic, because it is ic.  But your character probably shouldn't start basing weather predictions off the mud crashes.  That'd be hard to justify ic.  The pattern you're perceiving is ooc.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

.. I'd be in heaven if I could take it OOC.  The mud crashes and then BAM.  Suddenly all the ice in my driveway melts and the weather is suddenly 'nice'.  It has reset to late spring.

I'd crash the mud all winter long.

The Chosen

Quote from: staggerlee on March 11, 2008, 11:50:11 AM
Your causality is flawed:

"The visible weather appears to be tied to MUD resets, therefore weather is an ooc architect and not tied to ic events."

The weather may be related to MUD resets.  And it sound like it has been for quite some time.
That does not necessarily mean it is an accident or that the staff don't intend for the weather ic to get increasingly worse in cycles.

It's always safe to assume that there's an ic reason for things like that.  When you start blowing things off because you believe they're entirely ooc constructs and not ic, the game starts falling apart.

And like I said, the causality there is all flawed.  Maybe my character has a weather device, and I'm sitting on the temple of the dragon cackling - every time the mud crashes, the damn thing gets reset back to zero and it's mild out again?   You don't have enough data to draw any actual conclusions about the weather, all you know is that it gets worse the longer the MUD is up, based on personal experiences in whatever areas.

Psionic Fungus defined the difference well. Take it all ic, because it is ic.  But your character probably shouldn't start basing weather predictions off the mud crashes.  That'd be hard to justify ic.  The pattern you're perceiving is ooc.

???

Sandy desert world with sandstorms = IC.  It's a desert world.  There's sandstorms.  That makes sense.

The fact that the weather restarts from clear every time the mud does = OOC.  Zalanthas doesn't get rebooted.  Only the game gets rebooted.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."