Equipment for desert travel

Started by spicemustflow, February 09, 2008, 03:46:57 AM

Does the code take into account whatever protection from the sun and sandstorms I might have? Because the stats of my char aren't too bad, but he gets exhausted extremely soon. And, yes, I know the rooms outside are many times larger than the city rooms.

If you're wearing gear that is suited for desert travel, it will take this into account and give you various bonuses. You'll notice when you've got it right.

Sandcloth and equipment specifically marked "travel" tends to have these bonuses.

February 09, 2008, 04:25:04 AM #2 Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 04:26:42 AM by BlackMagic0
Quote from: Only He Stands There on February 09, 2008, 04:09:51 AM
If you're wearing gear that is suited for desert travel, it will take this into account and give you various bonuses. You'll notice when you've got it right.

Sandcloth and equipment specifically marked "travel" tends to have these bonuses.

On the other side of things, the lack of said clothing, could give you negative effects.
   Would you honestly go outside in a blizzard, without a jacket? Or, in 140 degree weather, without something to protect your skin/eyes/head?

Krath's Touch. The only sickness, I am aware of other then dehydration, give by these ways.
http://www.armageddon.org/help/index_frames.html
-----Remember, Help files are your friend.  8)
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

That makes sense, thanks. I'm really enjoying the amount of detail in this game.

Desert clothing is only where the detail begins, spicemustflow.  :D

Shit, you were right as I'm typing this I feel overwhelmed from heat! And the city is far. Damn...

:D A happy end, and a lesson learned.

Encumbrance will also tire you out, even if you're not in a city. Stat or Score will show you if you're travelling "light," "easily manageable," "unbelievably heavy," or whatever the other encumbrance messages are. Once you hit a certain one, you'll start losing extra stamina points as you move around. And the heavier your encumbrance is, the more significant the loss. In general, when you're travelling outside the city, and you're -not- a desert elf, don't carry too much stuff in your pack or in your inventory. If you have stuff in your inventory, and they fit in your pack, put them in your pack. Having them hanging off your clothes or holding them in your arms (virtually) will tire you out more than stacking them nicely in a container with decent support for your back. And it's probably a good idea to never leave safety without a filled waterskin or two. Assess -v can show you where you can wear them - "wear waterskin neck" or "wear gourd about throat" or "wear skin waist" or "wear skin on belt" are the usual syntaxes.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Thanks, I would never have guessed that holding thing in my hands will tire me more than having them packed. Time to annoy some helpers, I think.

most people ride a mount to get around, like a war beetle made for riding

it is hard to walk through the desert, even if you have the best desert gear in the game

also if you have low stamina from walking and get attacked, you can't run away, so you should ride a mount

Conversely if you're mounted and get attacked you might be thrown from your mount because you don't know how to fight mounted well. Or some skinny could come and steal your kankalon while you're chopping baobab, or whatever.

There are advantages and disadvantages to having a mount.

February 22, 2008, 10:02:01 AM #12 Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:11:43 AM by Lenny Poppo
Quote from: jstorrie on February 20, 2008, 11:40:50 AM
Conversely if you're mounted and get attacked you might be thrown from your mount because you don't know how to fight mounted well. Or some skinny could come and steal your kankalon while you're chopping baobab, or whatever.

There are advantages and disadvantages to having a mount.

being on a mount is so much better that the only problem is you will love traveling so much that you go much farther and die because you're so far and the monsters are tougher and you run out of food and water, and also yes losing your mount at this time would be very bad but you'd never have got this far if you had you feet anyway

And what happens if your mount develops a sudden interest in Half-Elf Served Rare or gets otherwise cranky?  "Tame beetle" indeed.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

My character doesn't like clothes... running around naked is the way to go!

Quoteyou will love traveling so much that you go much farther and die because you're so far and the monsters are tougher

This isn't really true. There are deadly monsters everywhere.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: Lenny Poppo on February 22, 2008, 10:02:01 AM
being on a mount is so much better that the only problem is you will love traveling so much that you go much farther and die because you're so far and the monsters are tougher and you run out of food and water, and also yes losing your mount at this time would be very bad but you'd never have got this far if you had you feet anyway

This isn't necessarily true. What if you're trying to sneak around? What if you're trying to leave as few tracks as possible? What if your PC wants to use both hands for other things, like shields, weapons, or torches? What if all of the skinnies are gonna make fun of you for riding a bug? What if you're riding over rough terrain that your mount can't handle? What if you have awesome magical effects but you can't share them with your mount? What if you just don't dig riding around, on an aesthetic level? What if you've got to climb up a cliff-face? What if you have to squeeze through a narrow hole?

There are a variety of reasons why mounts are great in some situations, and a variety of reasons why they're not great in others. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say that 'all travelers must have mounts to succeed.'