When contacting someone with a "barrier" up...

Started by Kalden, February 05, 2008, 04:28:15 PM

February 05, 2008, 04:28:15 PM Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:20:45 PM by Kalden
You should not get a "Something is blocking your attempt." You should not be able to contact that person at all if they have a barrier up and you fail to break through it.

If you have a high contact skill, you can always contact people and crush barriers or what have you.

This is not a dig at the OP, which I think is a good idea.

Before anyone jumps in with a, "Yeah I've tested it and this is how it definitely works and I don't like it," or a, "Silly OP, the person who posted it is silly, because it doesn't work that way and I know this and here's proof," lemme just say, find out IC. This is the sort of topic that usually spirals off into those code-specific discussions pretty quickly.

So. Given the assumptions made in the OP, I agree with the idea.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Kalden on February 05, 2008, 04:28:15 PM
This way there is a way to circumvent people who use the Way to determine if people are online or not.

I am quite certain that it's not possible to use the Way to accurately determine if people are online or not. Do people make assumptions about it...sure. But often, they are wrong.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 05, 2008, 04:50:05 PM
This way there is a way to circumvent people who use the Way to determine if people are online or not.

I am quite certain that it's not possible to use the Way to accurately determine if people are online or not. Do people make assumptions about it...sure. But often, they are wrong.

Be fair. You can be at least pretty sure in the affirmative.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on February 05, 2008, 05:01:42 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 05, 2008, 04:50:05 PM

Be fair. You can be at least pretty sure in the affirmative.

So? You can't tell if they're -not- online, accurately, using the Way. It's like a pregnancy test. It'll tell you for sure if you are, but if it tells you you're not, you might STILL be...

I just don't see a problem with how things currently work. People make assumptions based on poor data. Too bad for them.

February 05, 2008, 06:08:27 PM #5 Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:11:58 PM by Kalden
I don't know exactly how it works. What I do know is that I've encountered the "Something blocks your attempt" quite a few times. Maybe that only happens when you contact and then they put the barrier up; if so, my idea isn't necessary. I seem to remember being contacted while having my barrier up, and then having it crushed when the person tried to communicate. Perhaps I'm mistaken and it was crushed during the initial contact, but I don't think so.

QuoteSo? You can't tell if they're -not- online, accurately, using the Way. It's like a pregnancy test. It'll tell you for sure if you are, but if it tells you you're not, you might STILL be...

Yeah. I want to be able to stop all this "knowing for sure" that I'm online. When I'm offline, people can't contact me at all  and they assume that I'm sleeping, have a barrier up, or just suck at contacting. Why can't I be online and have the same thing? How can I hide away and pretend to be dead for a few years unless it's somehow possible to block out all Way communication?

If you're playing an assassin, or anyone fairly shady, this is very important. People who know about you often attempt to contact you 24/7. If they succeed, they're suddenly a lot more wary, or maybe they're out to hunt you. It's OOC abuse and it needs to stop.

Quote from: Kalden on February 05, 2008, 06:08:27 PM
I want to be able to stop all this "knowing for sure" that I'm online. When I'm offline, people can't contact me at all. Why can't I be online and have the same thing? How can I hide away and pretend to be dead for a few years unless it's somehow possible to block out all Way communication?

Quote from: help barrierThe barrier command will attempt to erect a mental barrier around your character's mind, shielding it from most psionic interference. The duration of a direct mental barrier is dependent upon your character's wisdom attribute and skill proficiency. As with all sustained psionic powers, the cease command will lower the mental barrier.

February 05, 2008, 06:16:01 PM #7 Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:21:52 PM by Kalden
Do you have much experience with barrier, Gim? Here's been my experience:

----
barrier
You erect a shield around your mind.
You sense a foreign presence enter your mind.

Your psionic shield is crushed!
The hearty templar sends to you:
"If you don't come to me, you're going to die slowly."
----

The point is that a foreign presences should not be able to enter your mind when you have a barrier up, nor should they receive any echo which indicates that you are online as opposed to offline. If I'm remembering this wrong, then it's unnecessary, but I believe this happened fairly recently. I wish I still had logs so I could check, but my computer died and I lost my flash drive, heh.

Sorry, Tisiphone, but it just has to be said in this instance: find out IC, really.

Normal people have no way of knowing the difference between "he's got a barrier up" or "he's offline." Beyond that, find out IC. What's happening to you, find out IC.

I'm going to try to keep this short and sweet.

Stop thinking about it as an ooc tool and think about it as an ic tool.  The Way is something that exists ic, and as such should be used, avoided, resented and exalted ic.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: Kalden on February 05, 2008, 06:16:01 PM
The point is that a foreign presences should not be able to enter your mind when you have a barrier up, nor should they receive any echo which indicates that you are online as opposed to offline. If I'm remembering this wrong, then it's unnecessary, but I believe this happened fairly recently.

All skills have a failure state. Sometimes you win a fight, sometimes you lose. Sometimes you can improve yourself so that you won't lose anymore. Sometimes you meet an unbeatable opponent.

Gim: a failure would be the destruction of the barrier. It seems to me that barriers still allow the shielded person to be contacted, just not "Wayed". If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but your post makes zero sense.

What OHST said.

Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

In Arm 2, I wish you could decide that your character is not "in tune" with the Way.

So, as a penalty, you would not be able to use the Way to contact others, but then, as a bonus, others would not be
able to contact you (all the clan leaders will thank me on that one) and/or mess with your mind as easily if you were in tune with it.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'm going to lock this, this already strays to far into the IC.  The messages that are given are intentional and aren't going to be changed.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff