Apartment room capacity

Started by Foolash, February 02, 2008, 04:50:41 PM

February 02, 2008, 04:50:41 PM Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 04:17:05 PM by Foolash
What with Vanth's* recent poll about the price of apartments I think its prudent to state another problem I have with apartments.  If I want to pack it full of little pleasantries like vases, candles, laden meathooks, pictures of myself naked and the like, something that is entirely feasible IRL, I cannot.  The reason for this is my chest takes up most of the room and I get "There is no more room for that here"  Perhaps the load limit on apartments should be substantially increased in order for some Zalanthans to live terribly cluttered, cramped, and messy lives. I know I want to.

Edit: Sowwy Vanth,  my brain is poop.
Robots rule

To be honest, that sounds kind of backwards... You want to give them -bigger- rooms so they can live -cramped- -cluttered- lives?
With my two apartments to date, they have been incredibly cramped, uncomfortable, and full of an odd assortment of shit.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: Foolash on February 02, 2008, 04:50:41 PM
What with Sanvean's recent poll about the price of apartments I think its prudent to state another problem I have with apartments.  If I want to pack it full of little pleasantries like vases, candles, laden meathooks, pictures of myself naked and the like, something that is entirely feasible IRL, I cannot.  The reason for this is my chest takes up most of the room and I get "There is no more room for that here"  Perhaps the load limit on apartments should be substantially increased in order for some Zalanthans to live terribly cluttered, cramped, and messy lives. I know I want to.

A) Is that Ronald Reagan in your avatar?  Freaky.
B) It was my poll, but I'm flattered that your brain confuses me with Sanvean.
C) Have you tried getting a lighter chest/container or a smaller one?  The way that room weight currently works is that a container is counted once for its own weight, and once for its capacity.  So, say that a chest weighs 20 stones and holds 50 stones worth of stuff.  Regardless of how much is in it, 70 stones is counted toward the room.  So if you got a chest that weighed 10 stones and held 40, you'd free up 20 stones worth of room, which could hold: a candle-lit lantern, an incense burner, a painting, a sketch, a vase, a gaming mat, a gladiator figurine, and an empty spirits bottle.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Warning: MECHANICS STUFF BELOW.

Suggestion is to check out the chest you have. Is it made out of stone, or wood? Is it enormous, or moderate sized, or small? Game code seems to take these things into consideration, in addition to the volume of the container. So if you have a really dense box, even if it's the exact same size as a really lightweight box, it will take up more "room" in the room. So you might find better luck getting a couple of lighter-weight boxes and putting things into them, and getting rid of the one you have. Also, if you have "many" of anything, you might want to consider just sucking it up and throwing some stuff away. No one needs "many" of anything, except sids. Junk anything your character hasn't actually used in a game-year, especially "parts" of things. Barring that, get a different apartment.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

February 04, 2008, 06:58:13 PM #4 Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 07:01:25 PM by Salt Merchant
Good ol' reliable GDB discussion.

Someone points out a fairly ridiculous situation (the weight of one chest "filling" a room).

Everyone else tries to rationalize it instead of fix it. I'm surprised no one suggested that the floor would give way if more were placed in the room.

The problem here is the difference between bulk (not implemented) and weight (used as a substitute for bulk).

Ideally objects would have both. This could also be used to prevent ludicrous situations like stuffing long spears into small pouches and the like. Give items and rooms both a bulk limit and a weight limit. Extend the weight limit for rooms greatly. After all, the ground can hold up a lot.

Lunch makes me happy.

I find 'bulk' to be an odd descriptor.  No valid reason for this, but I simply prefer 'size'. ;)
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Quote from: Salt Merchant on February 04, 2008, 06:58:13 PMExtend the weight limit for rooms greatly. After all, the ground can hold up a lot.

Unless you're renting a room above the first floor in a poorly-built apartment building (like most), in which case your heavy chest now belongs to the neighbors below you.  ;D

Besides supporting the concept of size as opposed to weight being the limiter on how much you can put on a ground-level floor, I would also suggest echos to let you know if you are approaching the weight limit of a room which would be affected by weight, such as the second floor of a wooden-floored apartment.

Such echos could be:
2/3 limit - The wooden plank floor creaks.
5/6 limit - The wooden plank floor buckles badly, threatening collapse.
1/1 limit - The wooden plank floor collapses, send you and all in the room falling down.
              Transfer [room-contents] room #####.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 04, 2008, 08:49:26 PM
Besides supporting the concept of size as opposed to weight being the limiter on how much you can put on a ground-level floor, I would also suggest echos to let you know if you are approaching the weight limit of a room which would be affected by weight, such as the second floor of a wooden-floored apartment.

Such echos could be:
2/3 limit - The wooden plank floor creaks.
5/6 limit - The wooden plank floor buckles badly, threatening collapse.
1/1 limit - The wooden plank floor collapses, send you and all in the room falling down.
              Transfer [room-contents] room #####.

That could be cool in a general context. Such as a bridge over a chasm. One or two people are alright, but if a lot start marching across it (especially if you throw in half-giants) it might collapse and send everyone down into the room below.
Lunch makes me happy.

Yep.

I would expect it to take into context the weight total in the room, and that includes the weight of PCs. Sneaking might take some of that out of the picture, to indicate careful walking over the threatened area. Ten people and armor might be able to cross safely, but if that armored half-giant duo lumbers over in pursuit, that's those freaks' asses.

This is just another feature that I hope is taken into consideration in the next Arm.

Just thought about it, but if we are adding in things like broken doors (per Morg), and, giving my suggestion creedance - broken floors and such, there would be a nice niche for a merchant sub-class called contruction worker. This person could repair broken buildings and doors and such things. If we are going to tuck shelter building into a class, add the skills to repair floors, bridges, walls, doors, and whatever else in that class' skillset as well.

It would take RMBT adding fields to every room that is already made, and probably re-parsing descriptions (ha ha) but I have planned (what I feel to be) a functional system for having all parts of buildings constructible, deconstructible, damageable, and repairable!

Maybe 3.Arm...  ::)

A Second Floor Apartment Room
This is a room in the second story of an apartment building. The floor looks really creaky...
The figure in a dark, hooded cloak stands here.
The figure in a dark, hooded cloak stands here.
The tall figure in a dark, hooded cloak stands here.

The tall figure in a dark, hooded cloak says to the figure in a dark, hooded cloak, in sirihish:
     "Okay, the mark's down below. Amos is going to drag in the chest full of obsidian, we're all gonna fall down through the floor, shiv 'im, then get his key and run for it."

The giant and obese figure in a dark, hooded cloak has arrived from the east, dragging a heavy agafari trunk.

The floorboards groan loudly and then collapse!

You fall in from above...
A First Floor Apartment Room.
This is a room in the first floor of an apartment building. The roof above looks to have been patched up many times.
The tall, muscular man is resting on a sturdy wooden bed.
The lithe, curvy woman is resting on a sturdy wooden bed.

The figure in a dark, hooded cloak falls in from above...

The tall figure in a dark, hooded cloak falls in from above...

The giant and obese figure in a dark, hooded cloak falls in from above...

A heavy agafari trunk falls in from above onto the lithe, curvy woman's head, doing unspeakable damage.

The tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
     "Aw, fuck."

QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

Adding new fields to pre-existing code structures is not hard. It simply requires the fields being set to a static number. The hard part comes from adjusting all those numbers by hand, because you can not tell the code to adjust them initially to match every possible senario.

Haha, Southie.

QuoteAdding new fields to pre-existing code structures is not hard. It simply requires the fields being set to a static number. The hard part comes from adjusting all those numbers by hand, because you can not tell the code to adjust them initially to match every possible senario.

Y'know... When I said "adding fields" I actually meant the content as well.  Shucks...

Though, to be clear, you could certainly automate some of the updating process with scripts... Still, it's not going to happen.

*Hours pass with the window open in an alternate desktop*

Oops.